JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I do not want my truck to float. When fording a stream, things get exponentially more dangerous the moment your vehicle starts to float. Unless you have a 20 hp boat motor deployed before you enter the water, you want to stay firmly connected to the bottom unless the water is DEAD STILL. Rather than things to make my truck more bouyant, I'd rather have a way to temporarily make my truck heavier! Maybe a pump to fill the bed with water as I enter the stream. Adding a quick ton of weight above the waterline would prevent me from floating downstream or out to sea in a rip-tide.
Either way if you want to forde and stay on the ground you do what every ICE 4x4 already does.

You open the doors. Problem solved. Good think is the EV should be able to Ford much deeper.

Alternatively, you do it rally style. Drive into the water and tap the brakes, this creates a wave that you can follow in the wake of.

Oras is common with Teslas driving in floods already....being electric (like a ICE with a snorkel) go through the water with enough speed so that water runs over the hood and windscreen that creates enough force to keep the vehicle pinned to the ground.

Failing that I already have a viable low cost mod water jet design that can easily be added to the existing rear drive wheels, without adding any bearings or drag for road use etc, that will give you a few hundred HP of water jet from the rear motor(s), and uses the rear wheel steering. ;)
Sponsored

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
Elon is usually so proud of how sealed his stuff is. Why would there be any question about the seal on the battery and its ability to keep water out without pressurization?

sstevens805

First Name
Shelton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DM 2021 MY & '69 Cadillac Deville Convertible
Country flag
Alternatively, you do it rally style. Drive into the water and tap the brakes, this creates a wave that you can follow in the wake of.
Did not know this, now I'm itching to try.

ParaMagicPa

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
ParaMedic
Country flag
There was supposed to be an supermarket boat modification called CuberCat as in Catamaran.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
How to do you "pressurize the battery" without an air compressor?
They are almost certainly using the existing suspension compressor to pressurize the battery pack. It only takes less than 2 psi to counteract the pressure of water trying to get in.

The reason Tesla decided to not offer a compressed air port to fill tires and air mattresses, etc. is that the air suspension needs a pump designed differently than one designed to fill tires and other higher volume applications. Pressuriizing the battery to prevent water ingress is an application that could easily be met by the suspension compressor (because the needed volume of air is so tiny).

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Pressurizing the battery pack seems like introducing complexity. If pressure can be added, it stands to reason that the battery has to have a port to add pressure via. If it were a sealed battery pack there'd be no need for a valve that would be susceptible to failure.

Dive watches, cameras, computers, etc. maintain their water resistance best by being totally sealed off, not by having a Rube Goldbergian mechanism for fluctuating the internal pressure.
All Tesla battery packs are sealed, and all have pressure control valves on them.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm unsure what the battery pressurizing note is all about either. Unless the truck is going at least 10' under, I don't understand the need to increase the pressure inside a sealed battery and cooling loop. But I'm not an amphibious automotive engineer, so there's that 😂
Cooling a sealed battery rapidly, like when driving on a hot day into a potentially icy body of water, causes the volume of the air inside the pack to contract. This tries to suck water past the seals on the battery and deform the thin metal encasing the battery. By ensuring slight positive pressure inside the battery case, the ingress of water is prevented, even if entering icy water.

Last edited:

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Soooooo, I have a 24/36v minn kota trolley motor. We going Crappie fishing?
Ummmm…..

Can you get on in 48v? Then you would certainly be on target.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Ummmm…..

Can you get on in 48v? Then you would certainly be on target.
If Tesla gets the auto industry to move to 48v, I wonder how much further the standard might go. Boating, snow machines, pumpkin trebuchet, airplanes, remote control toys…

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Cooling a sealed battery rapidly, like when driving on a hot day into a potentially icy body of water, causes the volume of the air inside the pack to contract. This tries to suck water past the seals on the battery and deform the thin metal encasing the battery. By ensuring slight positive pressure inside the battery case, the ingress of water is prevented, even if entering icy water.
This is incorrect, and would take multiple minutes to happen, if at all if it is a factor.

If anything, like I pointed out originally, it's about the seals themselves contracting from the change in temperature that would cause a potential leak, but not the amount of "warm air" in the pack, or it being forced to "cool down".

It simply cannot change temperature that fast due to the thermal mass of the pack, let alone the foam insulation around it from the structural pack that imhibits the flow of heat out of the pack. The volume of air "trapped" in the pack would also be small in comparison, resulting in virtually no meaningful pressure buildup over the area of the pack seal either way.

If there was "warm air" in the pack and it was cold outside, this would be fine, as it would already produce a higher internal pressure in the pack to keep the water out. Not the other way around.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This is incorrect, and would take multiple minutes to happen, if at all if it is a factor.

If anything, like I pointed out originally, it's about the seals themselves contracting from the change in temperature that would cause a potential leak, but not the amount of "warm air" in the pack, or it being forced to "cool down".

It simply cannot change temperature that fast due to the thermal mass of the pack, let alone the foam insulation around it from the structural pack that imhibits the flow of heat out of the pack. The volume of air "trapped" in the pack would also be small in comparison, resulting in virtually no meaningful pressure buildup over the area of the pack seal either way.

If there was "warm air" in the pack and it was cold outside, this would be fine, as it would already produce a higher internal pressure in the pack to keep the water out. Not the other way around.
That's a very naive interpretation, but I don't have time to school you on this subject as well. It's simple physics. Air reduces in volume as it cools. I know that's not enough help for you to figure it out, but I wanted to give you some mental exercise, something to ponder over the weekend.:)

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
That's a very naive interpretation, but I don't have time to school you on this subject as well. It's simple physics. Air reduces in volume as it cools. I know that's not enough help for you to figure it out, but I wanted to give you some mental exercise, something to ponder over the weekend.:)
You on the other hand need to learn to read first, and then double down on the non-sensical plants you sprout. I expect this will take longer than the weekend though. ;)

Q: How long does it take to cool down the battery in "icey water" so that the air would cool so fast it would suck in air, and in your case, also water into the pack? The pack has a thermal mass that resists this from happening fast. Plus using the pack etc, still continues to heat the pack like when driving. Do the math, get back to me with numbers. You know like "1+1=2".🤓

Last edited:

Macgyverfever

First Name
Regular Don-Won
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP BLUE/WHITE, M3RWD GRAY/BLACK
Occupation
Multifaceted IT Professional
Country flag
If Tesla gets the auto industry to move to 48v, I wonder how much further the standard might go. Boating, snow machines, pumpkin trebuchet, airplanes, remote control toys…
You had me at Pumpkin trebuchet