Deleted member 3316

Not sure why Tesla and Rivian seek to make buoyant trucks. It’s generally a bad thing to start floating when you’re trying to cross a river, just look at any video of a Jeep going deep into the water and making it out the other side.

Tesla has basically admitted in government registration docs that all versions of the truck will be 5000+ lbs.
Have you got a link to those docs? Warren Redlich did a guesstimate analysis of the weight and come up with a figure under 5000lbs

I know it’s going to be surprisingly light but it would be interesting to see any product registration documents.
Sponsored

Deleted member 3316

Thanks ***** for explaining it better. I find that wading across a small body of water very useful for me residing in the West. I go off road to find good spots to fish and to get to creeks especially in the Spring is hard. I am hoping that CT engines are water tight.
I pretty sure they are reasonably water tight but if purposely doing deep water crossings I think some preparation is probably required. The motor and gearbox housings will at least need some breather hoses with shut off valves. The air intake housings and firewall perforations would also need to be properly sealed.

I’m hoping that parts like the charge port and lights will be IP67 protected.

Actually that would be a great marketing tool. Only production vehicle with a IP67 rating!!! Even an IP56 rating would be pretty cool. All those desert overlanders will be further drooling ? over the Cybertruck.

Cougs

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
collector chevy K20, cybertruck asap
Occupation
Coach
Country flag
Last edited:

Deleted member 3316

Bollinger B2 has a 10001lbs GVWR and weighs in at 5000lbs but has a payload capacity of 5201lbs. Which doesn’t add up but that’s what the website says...

I think there’s a chance the Cybertruck is less than 5000lbs.

Cougs

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
collector chevy K20, cybertruck asap
Occupation
Coach
Country flag
I also would love to see the charge port and lights will be IP67 protected. Well ***** you can TWEET Elon.

CyberCop

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Silverado HD , Cybertruck dual on order
Occupation
Retired LEO ?‍♂??
Country flag
James Bond submarine car
Wet Nellie is a custom-built submarine, created for the 1977 James Bond film The Spy Who Loved Me in the shape of a Lotus Esprit S1 sports car. The Esprit was chosen to give James Bond a glamorous car to drive.
Owner: Elon Musk (since 2013)
Tesla Cybertruck Musk Again Teases That Cybertruck Will Float 2EA2D5E9-2F5F-467C-B835-7101BD90CBD4

Geo

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru STI, KTM450EXC
Country flag
As someone who has lived in flash flood territory, the possibility of it floating seems like a bad idea? When I’m driving through moderately deep water I’d like to keep moving forwards, not downstream!
I'll be attaching something like this, but resembling more of a Paddle Steamer wheel,
and I'm going to pretend I'm on a Cyber River Boat :D

P.S. I may even convert that middle seat into a mini bar and Voila !

In fact if I'm not mistaken the Cybertruck hub caps are hiding wheels that look like they already have fins on them. That is the spokes of the wheel look like Fins / Paddles !

Last edited:

cbbowlingmd

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 Model X,63 Corvette,32 Buick Model 86 Victoria
Occupation
Surgeon
Country flag
Just build it already. (I am so impatient.)

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
Bollinger B2 has a 10001lbs GVWR and weighs in at 5000lbs but has a payload capacity of 5201lbs. Which doesn’t add up but that’s what the website says...

I think there’s a chance the Cybertruck is less than 5000lbs.
In the CT presentation he poked at Ford saying we are going to make a truck that's actually stuff, not fake though. He also specifically said something like "for the same size and weight"

I expect he is comparing the CT to an f150, as it's about the same size and thus weight

Sputter

First Name
Herbert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Model 3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Update June 25, 2020

Elon once again teases that the Cybertruck will be able to float.

Original post April 20, 2020

Per Elon Musk tonight, the Cybertruck will be able to wade and even "float for a while."

Great graphic and very funny. However, you should have put in a disclaimer. Lot's of good 'ol boys are going to be actually trying to trying to do the same.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
If you risk destroying a $50k+ vehicle based on a tweet... that's not Teslas fault

Last edited:

DMC-81

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Transformers Camaro SS, 1985 Corvette Z51, Dodge Magnum R/T, 1981 DeLorean, CT reservation
Country flag
I probably won't try crossing a deep stream intentionally, but it's good that I apparently won't damage the truck by crossing the occasional axle height flash flood on the road from the summer Florida rain or momentarily submerging the rear axle launching a boat into the (fresh) water.

ericpdb2

First Name
eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Prius
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I recently saw a video of Dr. Musk fishing from the bed of a CT. How long will the CT float? What size seas will it tolerate? Can I enhance it by adding foam or air bumpers to the sides? I love fast vehicles and fishing. Will there be a nautical option? Can I mount outrigger poles?

What is the 'wade depth' without floating? In my area some of the tastier fish (flounder, red drum, sea trout) can often be caught in only a foot or two of water. If wading in 2ft of water with only a slight chop is feasible, it would dramatically improve my fishing options. THe CT might also be a good hunting option. Collision with a deer or wild turkey should not damage the SS skin.

CyberCop

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Silverado HD , Cybertruck dual on order
Occupation
Retired LEO ?‍♂??
Country flag
Can you imagine 1 or 2 small steerable jets underneath similar to a jet ski?
pretty sure for liabilities it would need to be a 3rd party add on but oh so cool.
Sponsored