Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Yaris
Occupation
Driver
Country flag
What would be really great is if they make the dual motor $79k so it qualifies for the incentive. And that's how they sell all of the vehicles. However, they offer a software upgrade to increase range and power which makes them the tri and quad motor versions. Add to that FSD being activated after sale for the same reason and you got yourself a winner!
Tesla should hire you.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
What would be really great is if they make the dual motor $79k so it qualifies for the incentive. And that's how they sell all of the vehicles. However, they offer a software upgrade to increase range and power which makes them the tri and quad motor versions. Add to that FSD being activated after sale for the same reason and you got yourself a winner!
If you did a Dual Motor Software limited version you would lose range because you still need to carry the extra drivetrain weight and rolling resistance. It would also only be front or rear wheel drive and not 4WD if it had a QM drivetrain. Trimotor would not work at all.

You can however have a performance mode and lock range with software but that does not reduce production cost, but may circumvent the credit threshold.

But even that doesn't guarantee Tesla profits, because if the people don't pay the premiums after purchase, they still don't get the profit either, and people are driving around in software castrated products.

I bet the credits would cease in short term as well if it ever came to light.

Overall I really don't get how people think an extra EV "motor" is so expensive, and in their minds compare it too adding a second ICE in a fossil car. Its not. There are dozens of motors in a EV already, of various shapes and sizes, as are in a ICE.

What its really about is optimising the manufacturing and costs of said motors for the required performance. In most cases it's actually the batteries not the motors that limit performance.

With that I'm 99% certain we will only see a QM for the first few years, and probably two pack sizes, with a performance package being offered with the larger pack, using better graded cells.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
A dual motor cyber truck cannot be the same price as a model y long range which is selling like hot cakes at 65k...most likely more tbh.
Sure it can! They are two very different vehicles with different strengths and use cases. One's a truck and one is a car.

Are you saying a Ford 4x4 pickup truck cannot be the same price as a Ford compact SUV?

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No real person or business has purchased a Lightjning for $40K! If you believe that, you will believe anything!

Morning Star

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2077 Tesla Cybertruck
Well, after almost three years we finally get an update, and it’s about as close to a non-statement, non-update as possible. “Pricing and specs will be different.” Are they going full Hummer EV prestige pricing? Are they still keeping the philosophy of a budget-conscious EV workhorse? It’s still all speculation, which keeps pricing an unworkable unknown for middle-class potential buyers. I may or may not keep my reservation, but until something solidifies I’ll be on the lookout for other EVs that fit my needs.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
Inflation can cool, but that doesn't mean it goes negative.

I think inflation is part of the situation, but the other part is the demand for Tesla vehicles. Everyone wants them. They'd be foolish to not charge what the market will bare.
inflation can indeed go negative.
a company needs profit - a tax credit is of no concern if they aren't making a buck

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Elon said......
"It was unveiled in 2019, for a $99 deposit. Cybertruck pricing and specs will be different, it will be a damn fine product. We are tracking to be in production middle of next year. Tooling install starting in next few months. "
I recall he said, "It will be a damn fine machine".

I bring that up because it shows how Elon thinks about a truck. It's not merely a product wrapped in a skin to look a certain way, it's a machine. I like that. Ford, GM think of their trucks as products. They have lost touch with the actual essence of what a truck is, it has become just a well-worn concept that was built upon each successive product. The Lightning follows that tradition of modifications to keep it relevant.

Sometimes, to push the technology forward, it's necessary to take a fresh approach. The F-150 is a direct decendent of the Model T. The engineering of the F-150 Lightning can be directly traced back to that vehicle in an unbroken succession of incremental changes. The Cybertruck blows all that up with fresh thinking from a first-principles approach. Elon is about to drop the biggest bomb on the American auto industry since the Japanese auto invasion of the 1970's. Perhaps even bigger.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well, after almost three years we finally get an update, and it’s about as close to a non-statement, non-update as possible. “Pricing and specs will be different.” Are they going full Hummer EV prestige pricing? Are they still keeping the philosophy of a budget-conscious EV workhorse? It’s still all speculation, which keeps pricing an unworkable unknown for middle-class potential buyers. I may or may not keep my reservation, but until something solidifies I’ll be on the lookout for other EVs that fit my needs.
No speculation is required to know the Cybertruck will offer class-leading value. It will not be marketed or sold as a "prestige" vehicle and all you have to do to know this without speculating is to listen to the plain words of Elon Musk. He has told us this many times, including recently. He can't control inflation of raw materials and parts, but he can control manufacturing costs better than any other automaker.

The Cybertruck is not about flash, pizzaz and styling - it's about engineering a tougher, better truck. One that is more capable, more durable, more fun to drive and with a lower cost of ownership. It will cost less than a top of the line F-150 gas truck and more than a bargain basement truck. Unlike all the rest, it will be worth every penny.

But I encourage anyone with doubts to cancel their orders. Please. :whistle:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
No real person or business has purchased a Lightjning for $40K! If you believe that, you will believe anything!
I have seen pictures of people holding the Monroney stickers. So sure, real people bought them.

But you or I can't get them.

I recall he said, "It will be a damn fine machine".

I bring that up because it shows how Elon thinks about a truck. It's not merely a product wrapped in a skin to look a certain way, it's a machine. I like that.

Elon is about to drop the biggest bomb on the American auto industry since the Japanese auto invasion of the 1970's. Perhaps even bigger.
I like that, too. But he and all the engineers at Tesla still have to pull it off. And I hope they do, too. I expect they will. No advertisement needed.

-Crissa

Valientefra

First Name
Francisco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck beast
Occupation
Network Adminiatrator
Country flag
I've said it before, I think the price will be at least 20% increase across the board...and prob more like 25%.

Single 55k
Dual 65k
Tri 85k
Quad 100k
Sad that will leave so many out of the pot including myself and 30 others I know. That could me a lot more. it was our retirement gift, that we could afford at $46k tops. with 15% down. Without hurting our retirement balance. Ok ladies and gentlemen lest say goodbye to our "could" be Sunday slow single motor Sunday drives, say goodbye to towing our Elderly RV, say goodbye to the last dream of us old boys and girls.

I pray that Elon Comes with Elderly Pricing and if this Democrats government where so much for the people, they do become less of a cytopathy and grow compassion to gives 65 and over like us an Electric car incentive for those years of service Domestic and as Veterans too.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Cults are not based on tangible things. If you think being excited about the latest truck is a cult, then you don't know what the word means.

"Cult" is often used to denegrate anyone that is into something different than the person using the word is into. I don't consider hang-gliding fanatics "cult" members but if you were afraid of flying you might. It's just sour grapes.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.