Will specs in all configurations be announced at delivery?

TBONO

First Name
Tone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
As we look forward to a late Q3 delivery event will we learn the specs of all available cybertruck configurations at that time or only the trims available at launch?
Sponsored

Crimson_Fate

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
As we look forward to a late Q3 delivery event will we learn the specs of all available cybertruck configurations at that time or only the trims available at launch?
Technically no one has a CT order, they have a pre-order reservation, in order to make this an order We should know the Specs and pricing well before any delivery event . People need to know what they are buying and how much it is well in advance of any delivery.

We are likely to have an unvailing which explains the features and costs and then they will open the pre-orders to edits so people can respec the the CT to their liking and make the order official ( or get a refund)

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
If it’s like prior launches (eg the Model X)

we’ll initially be told the initially available models

over time, what models are available will change along with pricing

You know, normal car stuff

Regenshire

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 RWD LR, Model Y Perf, CyberTruck AWD Order
Occupation
IT
Country flag
If we use the previous Tesla Delivery Events and pre-orders as an example, we likely will not know pricing and specs until the Delivery Event itself. During the Delivery Event they will announce basic specs (speed, basic features, number of motors, range) and pricing for the initially available model(s). We still might not know certain things like exact measurements. I remember us waiting for people in the real world to receive vehicles to get Model 3 trunk measurements as an example, there was a lot we did not learn until the first few deliveries occurred.

Orders will NOT be opened up for everyone at the delivery event. Tesla will likely send requests to complete your order in batches to reservation owners to begin submitting orders starting sometime after the delivery event. This will likely be in a trickle though, they wont just open it up for everyone. It will be matched to how many vehicles they can produce at that time, so expect a few hundred or thousand for the first wave.

When you receive a request to complete your order, this is when you will be given the option to select the currently or soon to be produced trims, or to delay your order until later.

You will be required to put down a non-refundable deposit at the time of the order.

OP
OP

TBONO

First Name
Tone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
If we use the previous Tesla Delivery Events and pre-orders as an example, we likely will not know pricing and specs until the Delivery Event itself. During the Delivery Event they will announce basic specs (speed, basic features, number of motors, range) and pricing for the initially available model(s). We still might not know certain things like exact measurements. I remember us waiting for people in the real world to receive vehicles to get Model 3 trunk measurements as an example, there was a lot we did not learn until the first few deliveries occurred.

Orders will NOT be opened up for everyone at the delivery event. Tesla will likely send requests to complete your order in batches to reservation owners to begin submitting orders starting sometime after the delivery event. This will likely be in a trickle though, they wont just open it up for everyone. It will be matched to how many vehicles they can produce at that time, so expect a few hundred or thousand for the first wave.

When you receive a request to complete your order, this is when you will be given the option to select the currently or soon to be produced trims, or to delay your order until later.

You will be required to put down a non-refundable deposit at the time of the order.
OK. Interesting.

So this gets to one concern is that I get called asked to place my order/configuration and let’s say at that point in time there is one configuration available. Let’s say it’s a two motor version.
Am I taking a guess on what might be available in a three or four motor version that might be available a few months later? If I don’t have the specs and price on those upcoming versions and find out later that the specs and pricing make a lot of sense for me, I will have already committed to the version available and be at the end of the line if I want one of those other versions which I may just need to wait a few more months for?
I guess if that’s how it is that’s fine, but would be too bad, not to know the details on a trim that is eminent within the next few months of placing an order - especially on this type of product where there can be such a difference in price and performance across trims on the same model

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
OK. Interesting.

So this gets to one concern is that I get called asked to place my order/configuration and let’s say at that point in time there is one configuration available. Let’s say it’s a two motor version.
Am I taking a guess on what might be available in a three or four motor version that might be available a few months later? If I don’t have the specs and price on those upcoming versions and find out later that the specs and pricing make a lot of sense for me, I will have already committed to the version available and be at the end of the line if I want one of those other versions which I may just need to wait a few more months for?
I guess if that’s how it is that’s fine, but would be too bad, not to know the details on a trim that is eminent within the next few months of placing an order - especially on this type of product where there can be such a difference in price and performance across trims on the same model
You are making a sidelong argument for Tesla coming out first with the quad/plaid trim, because it would expose all of the features, and then later trims would be 'fewer' features and more easily decided upon by prospective buyers. It is assumed that the highest/most expensive trim will have fewer takers, which would more-closely match Tesla's ability to produce them.

Regenshire

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Country flag
OK. Interesting.

Yes, essentially. If they only have the two-motor to start with and if you get an early invite when that is all they have, then you would have the choice to order it, or to delay your order into the future when other models release. We are not necessarily going to know what those future models might be priced at, unless Tesla also reveals that information to us.

Its difficult to say when they will have other trims available as well. It took 3/4 of a year for the Model 3 to have additional trims, but we shouldn't read too much into that. That was true "Production Hell" for Tesla and their first real rollout of a true mass production car, so they had a lot of issues to work through as a company. They are a lot more experienced now with creating cars and new production lines.

Last edited:

WormtownKris

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3, 2013 F150
Occupation
Outside Sales
Country flag
OK. Interesting.

Yes, that was basically how the Model 3 rolled out, and that is probably our best reference point so far as an entirely new vehicle launch as opposed to MY being based on the M3. The initial configuration for the Model 3 was single motor/RWD long range. We ~knew~ there were dual motor, performance, and smaller range options coming, but we did not know when, and LR RWD was the only choice at the start. (I cannot recall if we had any other pricing for various options at that point.). I decided that was good enough and ordered when my invitation came up. This was fortuitous in that we got one of the final Obsidian Black Metallic Model 3s before they deleted that color.

But it was not a now or never proposition. I was "invited to complete my order." I could order off the current menu, cancel, OR, do nothing. If I waited 3 months till I had more financing in order, or waited a year and then decided that first option was still my best choice, I had the ability to order any Model 3 available at that point in time.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
OK. Interesting.

I'd say if you have a 2 motor reservation and that's what's available, you'll be offered that. but not if you have a trimotor reservation and they start with duals. but then, no one knows.

Greshnab

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Occupation
Software Arrchitect
Country flag
I'd say if you have a 2 motor reservation and that's what's available, you'll be offered that. but not if you have a trimotor reservation and they start with duals. but then, no one knows.

My suspicion is that everyone who has ordered a specific configuration will have to redo it... i think they will move to the more standardized nomenclature... base, LD, performance, and possibly plaid..

a LOT of us just have a reservation to configure one.. and we weren't able to enter a configuration.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
the only way folks aren’t getting put to a decision in the early months is if Tesla comes out and says “here are the only two variants we’ll make for the next 3+ years, and they’ll both be equally and the readily available at X price, guaranteed”

Which would be contrary to history

Regenshire

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I doubt the trim you selected for the reservation will actually matter to when you receive the order invite. Some of those trims might not even exist like one motor trim. For the Model 3 it didn't appear to matter at all what trim you indicated on your reservation, they simply sent you an email to configure once they got to your region and where you were in line, sent out in batches.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
I doubt the trim you selected for the reservation will actually matter to when you receive the order invite. Some of those trims might not even exist like one motor trim. For the Model 3 it didn't appear to matter at all what trim you indicated on your reservation, they simply sent you an email to configure once they got to your region and where you were in line, sent out in batches.
if that's how it works, that's great, as my area received the MY very early.
Sponsored