Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Musk has been very vocal about Mars and wanting to colonize it. The flame thrower is for defence in case there are hidden aliens there.
Flamethrowers are not a very useful tool in a low oxygen environment, but they would have tremendous range in a thin atmosphere.

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
It would be even faster to manufacture based on what I've seen. Just rack up the metal sheets and then let the machine do the rest.

scottysize

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
DBA
Country flag
I keep telling people who doubt that the truck will be the best that we haven't seen everything it'll do yet. He just teased it at the reveal. By the time the truck is launched, he will have made some huge improvements on batteries and I'm betting he will have saved some weight with this change.

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Jeep YJ, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Operating Manager Power Lineman
Country flag
It would be even faster to manufacture based on what I've seen. Just rack up the metal sheets and then let the machine do the rest.
There is a big farm equipment company that is close to me that produce the equipment 24/7. The only have 2 8 hour shifts a day, however the laser cutting tables and CNC machines are all automated. The staff need to keep stacking the steel plates up and the machines continue to cut. In the morning everything is cut sorted and ready for production. The CT could be very similar. All the body panels could be laser or water cut and scored 24 hrs a day maybe even folded and welded waiting in stacks to be assembled into a CT. The equipment manufacturer rolls a new air seeder off the assembly line every hour, and it is way more complex to build than the CT.

Garden_Aum

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius Prime, Nissan Leaf, Tri Motor Cyber Truck
Occupation
Researcher
Country flag
There is a big farm equipment company that is close to me that produce the equipment 24/7. The only have 2 8 hour shifts a day, however the laser cutting tables and CNC machines are all automated. The staff need to keep stacking the steel plates up and the machines continue to cut. In the morning everything is cut sorted and ready for production. The CT could be very similar. All the body panels could be laser or water cut and scored 24 hrs a day maybe even folded and welded waiting in stacks to be assembled into a CT. The equipment manufacturer rolls a new air seeder off the assembly line every hour, and it is way more complex to build than the CT.
I hope to take a tour of the Tesla facility when I pick up my Cybertruck. Hopefully the tour provides some insight into the whole manufacturing process to include the cutting and folding of the stainless steel.

Keeney

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Country flag
I toured the Ford plant in St. Paul once (as a young man back when they still built pickups there).

That factory could produce any combination of F150 and F250 models (wheelbase, cab, engine,, bed, 2/4wd) at any trim level in any color with other options in an arbitrary order at a pace of 1 truck every minute (and as fast as a truck every 40 seconds if they needed to crank it up a bit).

If you want to build trucks by the millions, way more engineering goes into building the factory to build the trucks than into the truck itself.

MsPterodactyl

First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Waiting impatiently for 2-engine
Country flag
Converts to Hovercraft, blow dryer, supremely comfortable massaging seats and stabilizers so I can put eyeliner on evenly. And yeah, coffee dispenser and a truly evil anti-theft system.

Nightf0rge

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Teacher, Blacksmith
Country flag
You built a time machine.....from a Cybertruck?

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
I hope to take a tour of the Tesla facility when I pick up my Cybertruck. Hopefully the tour provides some insight into the whole manufacturing process to include the cutting and folding of the stainless steel.
Yeah, I would love to see that too. The key, based on my experience with CNCing large portions of my acoustic guitars for accuracy, is jigging and indexing on that jigging.

Ie, if you water cut the flat part, now you need to properly place it in the bender at the right location for the fold. Then you need a nice jig to hold everything perfect while you weld it.

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
I wonder if they're going to do it like a knife set, Get a giant sheet of steel and then cut out all of the parts for the vehicle. If so then they'd minimize drift in the cutting process.

Garden_Aum

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Researcher
Country flag
I wonder if they're going to do it like a knife set, Get a giant sheet of steel and then cut out all of the parts for the vehicle. If so then they'd minimize drift in the cutting process.
What about getting a Cybertruck knife set that is made from the same stainless steel? Every chef needs a good set of knives. I have some made from surgical steel. Getting a set made from 30x cold rolled stainless steel would be pretty awesome.

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Jeep YJ, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Operating Manager Power Lineman
Country flag
What about getting a Cybertruck knife set that is made from the same stainless steel? Every chef needs a good set of knives. I have some made from surgical steel. Getting a set made from 30x cold rolled stainless steel would be pretty awesome.
They would be hard to sharpen but once sharp they could make shaved tomato slices.

Garden_Aum

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Researcher
Country flag
They would be hard to sharpen but once sharp they could make shaved tomato slices.
that would be amazing. Tomatoes, especially ripe ones, are always a challenge to slice evenly. Having shaved tomatoes slices would make some really good garnish for a salad.
Sponsored