firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
It only took the cybertruck truck guy 10 minutes to completely destroy the arguments of that designer who struggled for a year and still got it completely wrong.

Good job cybertruck truck guy.

Last edited:

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
That guy hated the model T. It was engineered to be a car and it looked the way it did because that's what was neccessary to make it a car. Its a total classic! Beautiful and popular since 1908.

Tesla Cybertruck My response to designer Frank Stephenson's criticism of the Cybertruck (Video) 280px-1925_Ford_Model_T_tourin

Tesla Cybertruck My response to designer Frank Stephenson's criticism of the Cybertruck (Video) tesla-cybertruck-battery-day-1024x768.jpe

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
I had already been thinking along @cybertrucktruckguy 's point of view but there was something that I'm glad he hammered home that I didn't notice the first time around. The idea of carpet or even something that will hold dirt is so off the mark for a truck. The Dodge Ram (or Dodge Ram TRX) [MotorTrend Truck of the Year] has about three times the number of buttons and knobs that this guy suggested are a mark of an "essential of amount of buttons to explore". Dude, I'm driving. I don't need to explore buttons or rub the dirt onto the carpet.

Thanks for putting this one up.

Geo

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru STI, KTM450EXC
Country flag
That guy hated the model T. It was engineered to be a car and it looked the way it did because that's what was neccessary to make it a car. Its a total classic! Beautiful and popular since 1908.

280px-1925_Ford_Model_T_touring.jpg

tesla-cybertruck-battery-day-1024x768.jpeg.jpg
The Model T was a phenomenal success, and I may desire one, and pay big bucks for it today for what it nostalgically represents.

But it has absolutely not remotely, stood the test of time. It failed it a long long time ago.

Thankfully there has been much improvement since then, functionally and very very much aesthetically.

The Model T is well and truely absurd rubbish by the time we get to the standards of the 1930's let alone after that !

Neanderthal's were genius' for harnessing fire, in view of any other creature that came before, but they are just a little behind, to put it mildly, compared to the achievements of those who harnessed it just a little better, a little later in time., let alone by the time paradigm shift after paradigm shift, after revolutionary invention, after revolutionary discovery was made . . . . . over and over and over again.

I wouldn't be trying to suggest the Cybertruck will stand the test of time like the Model T.
The model T didn't. But it was a phenomenal success at the time.

What is a great success but for an even more fleeting time, is called a fad.
Like Yoyo's are fad. And they don't even have a functional purpose at all . . . . . . perhaps improving dexterity or demonstrating some physics principles or mental soothing.

So, no, not even sales success can dilute the designers valid criticism about the Cybertruck is very Plain and simple, and runs the risk of dating quickly.
Not a concern for those that buy it for its phenomenal utility value, but it is for others who want function and more.
For those that would buy regardless of how ugly it is, its saying something,
but for those who deny how ugly it actually is to many, I think are like those people who cant see the reality of those drawing that contain 2 images in one.

Personally I don't think its ugly, but it is definitely plain and simple and runs the risk of dating quickly. But its a great platform and very easy to refresh and personalise.

P.S.
in the immortal words of Kent Brockman, this is my 2 cents !
I'm guessing the following is in the list of many small improvements.
increases the approach angle at the wheels.

Tesla Cybertruck My response to designer Frank Stephenson's criticism of the Cybertruck (Video) 1608444617796

Last edited:

Zoltan Vlad

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MDX, Prius; both 2006
Occupation
Chemist (Ret.)
Country flag

Frank Stephenson's video for reference:

I signed up on this site just so I could comment on this video.
I watched the Stevenson video shortly after it posted and read all the comments. My overwhelming thought was "What a coven of weenies".

Engineering is art except it's harder to fake.

Geo

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru STI, KTM450EXC
Country flag
Engineering is art except it's harder to fake.
That is a great line, and I couldn't agree with you more.
And that's why beauty is also in the eye of the beholder.
When you and I see the Cybertruck, we see beautiful 3mm thick (unique, outside military) exoskeleton others see plain ugly.

But not everybody sees what you and I see, and there is something to be said for being myopic, and not being able to see more broadly.

Like those that can only see one of the two images that are equally and clearly there.
Frank's criticism is more than valid, I would love it if there was a way to have a 3mm thick S/S exoskeleton that incorporates Frank's critique. I wonder what Franz thinks.

Do you see a young lady, or an old hag with a big crooked nose ? They are both there !

Tesla Cybertruck My response to designer Frank Stephenson's criticism of the Cybertruck (Video) 1608425690802

Last edited:

KrodEKid

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota corolla, Mazda 5
Country flag
Todd, thanks for taking to time to do another video. Love the content.

I'd like to see Frank try and critique the design of this...

Tesla Cybertruck My response to designer Frank Stephenson's criticism of the Cybertruck (Video) 1608446578425

Or maybe even just this...

Tesla Cybertruck My response to designer Frank Stephenson's criticism of the Cybertruck (Video) 1608446966815

...I needed a shovel like that to get through Frank's video if you know what I mean.

P.S.
To quote the Master Chief "that cybertruck, sure does look like a warthog hog doesn't it." Sorry the irony and duality of this statement was too much to pass up if anybody else knows where I'm coming from.

...I'll give you some hints that string my thoughts together.
... durability as function over form ... A10 ... Halo ... Ride the lightening podcast, okay I need to go to sleep now I know.

davidngo44

First Name
david
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cycberstruck
Occupation
Country flag

Frank Stephenson's video for reference:

Hey Cybertruck guy. This is copcon.
18,997 in line ..... YAHOOOO so I should be getting the cybertruck within the first 6 month of the cybertruck production. Cool... very cool.
you can use my cybertruck for your Utub review channel if you like. let me know. lol. You can come the visit california or I come and visit you....where ever you are. Cybertruck road trip that is. : )

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Hey Cybertruck guy. This is copcon.
18,997 in line ..... YAHOOOO so I should be getting the cybertruck within the first 6 month of the cybertruck production. Cool... very cool.
you can use my cybertruck for your Utub review channel if you like. let me know. lol. You can come the visit california or I come and visit you....where ever you are. Cybertruck road trip that is. : )
I am looking forward to the review!

ricinro

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla MY, 2001 ford Sportrac
Occupation
mech design engineer-ret.
Country flag
There is a minor adversarial relationship between "designers" and engineers. Designers grab their pens and sketch the facade and then rationalize it, like architects, with heaping piles of steaming rhetoric. Yes, eye candy sells and in the truck market it is brutish grills with gravelly voiced men and boxy trucks that are shown doing hard work or chewing up the environment.
Engineers are more like morlocks in the underworld. They make the ugly insides that is shrouded by the facade. They need to make it work and producible.
The CT is more of an engineer's truck and a designers nightmare. The form, Zen like, is the look of its manufacturing process with a priority on durability, weight reduction, simplicity and utility. So gone is the pricey complexity of stamping and painting complicated assemblies replaced low cost sheetmetal and limited welding of 304L SS.
Yes, Franz was involved but with engineering and manufacturing leading- not me-too marketing and designers.