MyTeslaWeekend Rumor - Dual Motor only for the first 500k units produced!

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I could post some of my concept cars.
I have a pc but no assembly line.
Does that count? :ROFLMAO:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Ram, Dodge, Toyota, have all announced future products with vague specs. Not concept vehicles.

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'm not sure where you got the idea that battery "cost" is the limiting factor for CT production, maybe production numbers, but not cost. MY already has the 4680 structural pack on the street, and manufacturing at 1000 a week. They are still selling the 4680 MY at the same cost. Do you have info on the 4680 cost we don't know about?

Regardless, EM said recently they have enough legacy battery supply for cars, being 2170/18650 production from Panasonic and Co, plus LFP from China, so they could of earmarked 4680 just for CT if they wanted too. In fact I remember vividly the discussions we had here on this forum if at all would get the 4680 after battery day. It would still work with 2170 too, and they are mass produced and a known cost.

Either could of been in CT's instead, but my understanding is the controller shortage from wafer manufacturing meant they could only produce a limited number of cars, and adding another new model would only reduce the numbers of the existing models. Otherwise the main component they are still missing is the 9kt gigapress for the rear castings. That thing did not exist until a few months ago and only came about way after the CT was revealed. Castings and structural pack weren't even a thing when CT was released, that only happened over a year later.

Anyways, my point is that I haven't seen any evidence of the cost of 4680 battery production being the reason for the delay.
I thought that GIGA TEXAS was putting out Y's with 2170's.....did I miss something

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I thought that GIGA TEXAS was putting out Y's with 2170's.....did I miss something
I sometimes hide out under a rock as well! ;) ;) :cool:
Was a part of the Giga Austin opening, with MY4680 models going to employees first.
Monroe is already selling parts from the 4680 structural pack teardown:

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Was a part of the Giga Austin opening, with MY4680 models going to employees first.

touche

childs145

First Name
J. Childs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck (hopeful)
Occupation
Electronics Engineer
Country flag
I just can’t believe that Tesla would not at least ramp with the quad motor Version as they will be working out kinks in assembly and motor production should outpace truck production initially…so why not make a truck worth $20k more each initially…

And Brian is great I watch his show!
I can see prioritizing the dual motor to keep the price in balance to recieve the tax incentives.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Ram, Dodge, Toyota, have all announced future products with vague specs. Not concept vehicles.
precisely. Very vague specs if provided at all. Specifics come when there’s a vehicle with certain production.

in contrast, EM stood on stage giving many CT specs, including absolute specifics, cost, range, top speed, 0-60 times, pay load, tow rating, air compressor, “transparent metal” glass, adaptive air suspension on all trims, etc., etc., right down to ensuring the CT is “literally bulletproof to 9mm handguns” (with an on-screen specification that the rounds were 115grain FMJ fired at 10 meters), and that it would be out in a bit over a year or so…

Which specificity, so far out from what turned out to be far further production date, is what I suggested was an “announcement” outside the typical, in response to:

What "ridiculous" manufacturer wouldn't first do a economic forecast of if said product is at all profitable?

For Ram, Dodge, Toyota, and more recently Jeep to say “we’re going to build a car 3ish years from now that will be BEV, with trims topping out somewhere in the 500mi range capability, and here’s a few renderings of what one of its trim levels will sort of look like” doesn’t require them to have much of an economic forecast they are tied to.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
For Ram, Dodge, Toyota, and more recently Jeep to say “we’re going to build a car 3ish years from now that will be BEV, with trims topping out somewhere in the 500mi range capability, and here’s a few renderings of what one of its trim levels will sort of look like” doesn’t require them to have much of an economic forecast they are tied to.
OEM’s are not startup ventures. TSLA is a unicorn.

F learned the value of inertial momentum from Ford pivoting into new battery energy. Diversifying broke its startup venture FORDe free. Free to gain traction instead of slipping backwards without the weight of ICE drag. For Ram, Dodge, Toyota, and more recently Jeep et. al. the lesson hasn’t taken root. Root as in a fundamental tool for survival for EV.

Stellantis is hardly organized to copy the F pivot. Thus multiple “coordination” (your term) renaming great design slapping on a famous grille, iconic badge and clever model rename. A retro play on two brand’s iconic models is better than one! Stellantis have numerous examples in coordination. Its their bridge to tomorrow.

TOY are customer-centric not first principles. Toyota are focused on environmental constraints in markets around the world. Its gauged ICE longevity in electricity constrained realities. TOY decided not to abandon the market in-hand for 2x market in the future. TOY’s tactical calculation backs up fundamental ICE tech with HydrogenFC. Its #1 OEM position convinced countries that hydrogen is a viable pathway behind Toyota’s lead. TOY views BEV tactically as it does H. It can afford to pursue multiple paths in a triple energy strategy if not dual-use, thru bZ and bT platforms. Its beginning to have to weigh full utilization of its plant, equip and resources.

VW had the leadership but not the culture to unicorn despite success to the contrary. Its slipping.

GM ditto… EV-1 showed what’s good for America but …crushed the future — its own.

China the nation support for New energy vehicles spawned stunning EV versions of ICE cars. Stunning in fit and trim, AI ADAS and bold design. Its battery industry is world leading. Its bringing Chinese designs to the US market. Expect their US play as strategic with mergers, acquisitions and consolidations to follow but where’s the innovation?

VIN from Vietnam has landed ahead of Chinese in the US. Smart quality product also committed to the US market. What follows is a financing scheme to affordability. Interesting differentiation strategy…

TSLA + BYD have a firm grip on Future. Both have a lock on resources, vertically integrated and diversified across transportation sectors. This structure is locked into the commercial world until nature, invention or physics breaks the dynamic. In technology there ever is only room for two legal monopolies(i.e. Micosoft+Apple).

Battery EV‘ TSLA + BYD.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
precisely. Very vague specs if provided at all. Specifics come when there’s a vehicle with certain production.

in contrast, EM stood on stage giving many CT specs, including absolute specifics, cost, range, top speed, 0-60 times, pay load, tow rating, air compressor, “transparent metal” glass, adaptive air suspension on all trims, etc., etc., right down to ensuring the CT is “literally bulletproof to 9mm handguns” (with an on-screen specification that the rounds were 115grain FMJ fired at 10 meters), and that it would be out in a bit over a year or so…

Which specificity, so far out from what turned out to be far further production date, is what I suggested was an “announcement” outside the typical, in response to:
Gotcha. Yeah I think it’s pretty uncommon.

Rivian did the same as Tesla and regretted it. Ford… a little but not so far out and not as much detail.

But I think most of Teslas cars have had similar levels of detail though.

Alan

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 S90D ,2014Tacoma, Cyberbeast ordered 2/13/24
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

I believe a limited number of 4680’s were put out then they switched to 2170’s to ramp up production

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I believe a limited number of 4680’s were put out then they switched to 2170’s to ramp up production
They are producing both 2170 and 4680 Model Ys in Austin. There are two trims, the base one is 4680 and structural battery, the other one is 2170 and has an inverted old style battery. They both use the same gigacastings.

-Crissa
Sponsored