kYdizzle

First Name
Kyzle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
My plan has been to buy the MY as I need a vehicle when I get back to the states. After the CT was announced I decided that I would drive it until I get my CT, then I would trade it in. Im now looking at using TURO or the robotaxi network if it comes out by then and keep my MY as a source of income. I'll keep weighing the pros and cons and make the decision in a few years.
Sponsored

Sandybayes1

First Name
Sandra
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Crosstrek
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It's all about how much risk you want to assume. Buying a MY and selling/trading it in will surely be worth less than just sitting on the money. But, if you have to be paying on a car anyway, why not a MY? They'll hold their value pretty well if they follow the pattern of the M3. Buying stock could pay off big or could be at a low when you need the money the most.

Opinions are like ... well, you know the rest of that. I think I'd put half into Tesla stock and sit on the other half in some easy to cash out interest bearing account of some sort. Then, maybe that original $20K will have done well with Tesla stock and between that and the $20K in the safe account, you'd be able to buy the CT when available without owing much if any. Again, depends on the amount of risk you want to take.

This is close to where I am right now. My wife's MY has me wanting one of my own and I don't want to wait 2 years or longer to get it! So, I'm weighing the possibility of buying a M3 to sell when my CT gets made... I look at it as a "forced savings account with a crappy negative return" but it lets me ride in a M3 for a year!
I’m in the same position but have decided against an M3 purchase because we’re too close to a major battery upgrade and don’t want to chance putting money out on a soon to be upgrade. I did put some money in Tesla stock but will need to find a place to park a substantial amount. Like you I would like to drive a Tesla soon and am trying to figure out other options. If you come up with other ideas please post them. Thanks

Bigsur345

Banned
Banned
First Name
MJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Honda, '72 Ford Ranchero, 2017 Moar Rapt II E-Bike
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Country flag
Please excuse me, It would take too long to explain it here if your not familiar with Derivatives.

But on the other hand, I honestly feel “stock market stupid” myself quite a bit recently.

And then there’s quite a few people who also think the Fed Chairman, is quite a bit “ stock market stupid “ himself !

Well at least doing a good job of impersonating Stevie Wonder, when he says, don’t worry, I’m keeping a close eye on asset bubble risk ;)
I can't see how that is a derivative transaction, it's a butterfly options strategy.

CyberJagg

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Chevy Express
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
I know I shouldn’t take internet financial advice and I’ll take all comments with a grain of salt.

A little background,
I’m a middle class hard working union worker making 65,000 a year. No debt except for mortgage. No 401k but a decent pension of 55% of my wage if I were to retire next year. Otherwise my pension goes up 1200.00 a year for every year I work past my pension.

I’m a truck/SUV person,
I just came into a little money (40,000)
My thoughts were to purchase a Model Y and pay it off by the time the Cybertruck comes out (I ordered the
Tri-Motor) And trade it in for a CT.
Or buy $40,000 in Tesla stock and take the chance that I won’t lose the money and I’ll make enough profit to offset the balance from the trade in.
If the stock crashes My dream of owning a Tesla will vanish.

Thanks.
I would definitely invest the money. Buy the time you’re ready to buy the CT, it will most lIkely appreciate in value and you would be able to pay off most of the sticker price if not all. But that’s my opinion

lawdog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Mazda 3 5-door and 2005 Nissan Titan
Country flag
I know I shouldn’t take internet financial advice and I’ll take all comments with a grain of salt.

A little background,
I’m a middle class hard working union worker making 65,000 a year. No debt except for mortgage. No 401k but a decent pension of 55% of my wage if I were to retire next year. Otherwise my pension goes up 1200.00 a year for every year I work past my pension.

I’m a truck/SUV person,
I just came into a little money (40,000)
My thoughts were to purchase a Model Y and pay it off by the time the Cybertruck comes out (I ordered the
Tri-Motor) And trade it in for a CT.
Or buy $40,000 in Tesla stock and take the chance that I won’t lose the money and I’ll make enough profit to offset the balance from the trade in.
If the stock crashes My dream of owning a Tesla will vanish.

Thanks.
I'd recommend against just buying stock. If you are going to invest, diversify. Otherwise you are just gambling. Would you bet $40K on Blackjack or Poker?

The fact that you do not have a 401K (or presumably an IRA either) tells me that you should not be purchasing a Model Y. At most, if you REALLY need to buy a vehicle, just get the CT and pay it off normally with your pension (assuming you can meet all other costs of living comfortably with 55% of your current annual income). I'd have to know a lot more about your budget and other goals to make an actual suggestion suited to your situation, but my first thought is HELL NO.

autoluke

First Name
J Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ford 150
Country flag
Why would anyone depend upon stock advice from this column ? Read the comments again, and absorb the fact that many of the financial experts had it wrong.

Iacemoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ram 1500 <> 1970 Chevy C10 Stepside Custom
Occupation
Drug Dealer
Country flag
Hedge your position. Buy 20k of tesla stock and the rest into your mortgage.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
Edited...Tsla is risky in the short term
I'm a millennial,Engineering major

Elons companies are near the only companys I would actively pursue working for. I would devote long hours of my life to help Elon do the things he is pursueing.

I might not agree with some of his plans(I would rather fix earth than go to mars) or what he says,
but I also dont see apple, ford, Boeing, Intel, etc. or anyone big attempting to fix problems, be sustainable and do general good.

I am far from a minority in my thinking.

What I'm saying is his companies will continue to make more and more, long term they are a really good bet

Last edited:

Iacemoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Drug Dealer
Country flag
Tsla is super risky.
I'm a millennial,Engineering major

Elons companies are near the only companys I would actively pursue working for. I would devote long hours of my life to help Elon do the things he is pursueing.

I might not agree with some of his plans(I would rather fix earth than go to mars) or what he says,
but I also dont see apple, ford, Boeing, Intel, etc. or anyone big attempting to fix problems, be sustainable and do general good.

I am far from a minority in my thinking.
Cool. So why do you consider tsla risky?

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Iacemoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Drug Dealer
Country flag
just in short term, like the thread maker was thinking.
Gotcha. But why do you think they are risky short term? If they gain S&P 500 inclusion, the stock could go nuts. Even if they report a small Q2 loss and then show strong profits in Q3 they could still be included.

With that said. I sold some shares this week.

Handy Artie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Mercedes Sprinter 2500
Occupation
Retired surgical oncologist
Country flag
This thread is titled Need Opinion.
IMHO it’s kind of hard to bet against AAPL. It’s new health app offers an alternative to the big government approach “promised” by politicians which you’ve got to know isn’t going to be there for you if and when you need it. Carrying an iPhone or wearing an Apple Watch is like carrying a doctor in your pocket. You all already know what carrying a Cop in your pocket means and how important that is becoming.

https://www.apple.com/ios/health/

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Gotcha. But why do you think they are risky short term? If they gain S&P 500 inclusion, the stock could go nuts. Even if they report a small Q2 loss and then show strong profits in Q3 they could still be included.

With that said. I sold some shares this week.
that s&p inclusion, im not sure if they apply for it, or how that works, but its really good for the stock. but I also think short term is risky becuase there are ALOT of massive investing companies with a HUGE amount of shares. if they decide to sell, the stock could see swings to I think down to 750.

but of course take my advice with a grain of salt. im just a guy who vaguely watches the markets, but If I had 500k to invest id easily be a multi mutli millionare by now.
Sponsored