Sandra
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Crosstrek
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Speaking of opinions NOT politics, what do future Cybertruck owners think is the root cause of the forest fires threatening population centers on the west coast of the US again this summer. I personally believe bad Forest Management is the immediate cause not global warming. I’m a part time resident of ME for the past 42 years and even though peak temperature were frequently as hot as South Florida this summer we’re not plagued by Forest fires. We have active logging industries in ME and Florida. Keeping the Forest from encroaching on the family homestead is kind of a family tradition in these parts. Felling trees against the lean using wedges is kind of generational education to many of us.
Sorry, ME is a totally different eco climate system and has not been as fire prone as the dry, arid west. There was an early period of fire suppression (recall the comic “Smokey the Bear of the 1950’s). Then more recently the efforts of clearing the debris off the forest floor especially around cities. You are just so wrong my friend (as is Trump). Nature’s role has been to let trees catch fire and naturally thin the overgrown forests. You can actually see photos of our forests taken by Powell taken in the 70’s which show a much thinner forest in the 70’s when forest fires were allowed to rage. We now pretty much doing just that while thinning continues closer to populated areas. The primary problem is the drying of the western side of the US due to climate change. Old growth trees are so stressed they have become vulnerable to scrounges like the notorious “bark beetle” which weakens and Either the tree has become vulnerable to forest fires or the beetle finally kills its host. We also see this cycle occurring in Canada’s forests. Please check the history of our forests before you second guess causation of what is threatening us in the West now.
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Holding individual stocks for more than a year helps make up for the costs of maintaining a trading account by lowering your tax bracket to the capital gains rate, which is now 15% of net gains.
There basically aren't any costs associated with maintaining a simple trading account any more. eTrade if you want to do it yourself or Schwab if you want free advice and management. And others too. I eventually found out how Schwab makes money but still haven't figured out how eTrade does.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Speaking of opinions NOT politics, what do future Cybertruck owners think is the root cause of the forest fires threatening population centers on the west coast of the US again this summer. I personally believe bad Forest Management is the immediate cause not global warming. I’m a part time resident of ME for the past 42 years and even though peak temperature were frequently as hot as South Florida this summer we’re not plagued by Forest fires. We have active logging industries in ME and Florida. Keeping the Forest from encroaching on the family homestead is kind of a family tradition in these parts. Felling trees against the lean using wedges is kind of generational education to many of us.
Anyone living outside of the southwest has a hard time understanding our Westcoast weather. I live near the coast in Ventura County. I just looked at our season rainfall summary to get numbers. This year is close to an average season with only 1 out of 23 reporting locations below 100% at 98.6%. most are around 120%. Here's the problem, since June 1st. most of those areas have had 0.00 inches of rain. Over 100 days of no watering the plants. This is totally normal for here. So, we have a dried out ecosystem and around this time of year we get weather patterns that get extremely hot and low humidities down to the single digits. Along with that there are high winds. So, even on the good years there are fires. On the bad years there are historical event fires. Regardless of what some people say, our overall weather is changing. Look at the volume/area of these fires in recent years. They are MASSIVE.
To a degree I think AJ is correct. Except, the problem is our population as a whole just keeps expanding. All population centers have their own natural disasters to deal with. Here on the westcoast it's fires and lack of water. On the Eastcoast its hurricanes and flooding. In the midwest its flooding and powerful thunderstorms with Tornadoes. We have to realize that regardless of how wise we are as human beings, we can't control the weather. We can influence the weather a bit, but we can't control it yet. So, those are the cards we've been dealt. We just need to decide how to play them. AJ, I think you have the right idea. Even the Native Americans would move with the seasons, and they didn't have our transportation. ;)

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
(Some) would be great. Hurricane Sally can't be related to Mustang Sally. Why do they call it a hurricane? That storm doesn't seem to be in a hurry at all. Hope she doesn't dump on you too much rain, 15" is a lotta water!

OMG, that's our annual average rainfall.

(from Google)
15 inches

Oxnard, California gets 15 inches of rain, on average, per year. The US average is 38 inches of rain per year. Oxnard averages 0 inches of snow per year. The US average is 28 inches of snow per year.

Last edited:

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Yep, the evaporation also means you can hose stuff down and 20 mins. later the water/moisture is gone. Plus when we get strong Santa Ana winds blowing, the hot embers blow beyond any fire break. We've had fires consume the landscape at easily 15 miles in one hour. A 6 lane freeway doesn't even slow it down, because embers are jumping ahead and igniting fires out front of the fire. This is not a new phenomenon, just like hurricanes are not new. But we are getting more, and the intensities seem to be ratcheting upwards.
I'm glad to read your comments, that you have planned ahead on your property, for what you have come to expect as a possibility. Hang in there, we all just gotta learn to deal with the cards we've been dealt.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Yeah, the CZU complex started in five locations they couldn't get to it, and when the winds hit, the fire was jumped almost ten miles from one side of Bonny Doon to the top of the ridge behind the college.

How do you fight fire like that?

In one day the fires all raced about 15 miles and went from a place almost outside of my bike's there and back range to threatening my house from where I go hiking behind our neighborhood.

The fires in Oregon were worse, and the wind hit them was worse... hence blowing up those orange skies. The weather service literally had no models to account for so much smoke pumped into 10k feet altitude.

-Crissa

TI4Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 2500 Cummins, GMC 1500, LandRover Discovery 1, Suzuki GT750, Electra Glide Ultra Classic Limited, Electra Glide Sport, RX3 Cyclone
Occupation
Retired, added 5 days to my weekend
Country flag
I am not a fancially person so advice on that subject I refrain but, on cars I will say this don't purchase vehicle you don't plan on keeping even if it's a Tesla. Very hard to recoup monies on used cars, better to buy a low cost alternative until your desired vehicle comes into the picture. I have bought and sold vehicles
with minimal loses, but it was a rare circumstance that I did not foresee or plan. I have used 3k dollars cars to carry me over the threshold. Best laid plans have failed but do some homework
before embarking on big commitments. I certainly hope you prevail like a proverbial rose.
Sponsored