Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
In a recent video, they were demoing the Aptera which has rear cameras instead of mirrors. They have tiny cameras in little stalks sticking out the sides instead of built in ones like Tesla. The guy demoing the truck was talking about them and he says “We might have to put something shiny on the stalks to comply with regulations”… kind of cracked me up. Seems like you could easily 3d print a 4 inch long stalk and glue a little dental mirror to the end of it to replace the factory mirror. My Father In Law loves printing stuff on his 3d printer.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
I know this is an old thread but it showed up when I hit "What's New" so I'm extending the pain of going through old threads to the rest of you. However, I'll do it with a little info.

From Federal Regulations:
Mirror exterior size requirement:
S7.1 Each multipurpose passenger vehicle and truck with a GVWR of more than 4,536 kg and less than 11,340 kg and each bus, other than a school bus, with a GVWR of more than 4,536 kg shall have outside mirrors of unit magnification, each with not less than 323 cm2 of reflective surface, installed with stable supports on both sides of the vehicle. The mirrors shall be located so as to provide the driver a view to the rear along both sides of the vehicle and shall be adjustable both in the horizontal and vertical directions to view the rearward scene.

This is basically a 7"x7" requirement. I mean, 323cm square is 50 inches squared.

There. Now, you actually have a little "new" information here... on this zombie thread.