New Member, advice please, Model Y or wait?

With rising gas prices, what should I do?

• Total voters
OP
OP

OHRJR

First Name
Octavio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Escalade ESV
Country flag
Question- What is your experience with EV's and the Model Y? I would recommend you test drive at minimum and rent one for a better experience.

I twice rented a MY LR while traveling and fell in love with experience of driving it. I had already had a CT on order but wasn't sure I would go through with it. Now I am expecting my MY LR this month (ordered in Oct last year) and will drive this until my CT will be ready as I know for sure I want the CT now.

Resale value an another big factor in my decision to get the Y. So far MY's have held their value and even appreciated some in the past year.

Personally- I am with the "life is to short" camp. You will likely be way happier spending the same $ to drive a Model Y vs. your current SUV. The driving experience for me was night and day.

Best of luck!
Thank you for your input, I appreciate it. As for my EV experience, I have never owned one but did test drive the Model Y performance, 2 times because I loved it. I then test drove the Model 3 performance and I actually liked that one more because it felt quicker. If it wasn’t for the dogs, girlfriend, and living in a rural area with an unpaved steep driveway, I would get the 3 performance for sure. Should I consider getting rid of the girlfriend and one dog maybe? 😂 I appreciate all of the responses and feedback so far, does anybody have rural area experience with their teslas or are you all in cities?
Sponsored

uff_da

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Thank you for your input, I appreciate it. As for my EV experience, I have never owned one but did test drive the Model Y performance, 2 times because I loved it. I then test drove the Model 3 performance and I actually liked that one more because it felt quicker. If it wasn’t for the dogs, girlfriend, and living in a rural area with an unpaved steep driveway, I would get the 3 performance for sure. Should I consider getting rid of the girlfriend and one dog maybe? 😂 I appreciate all of the responses and feedback so far, does anybody have rural area experience with their teslas or are you all in cities?
Hopefully I will have some rural experience in month of two!

My road this spring (which is why I am keeping my old Subaru until I better understand how a heavy EV with only 6.5" of ground clearance does in these situations):

Tesla Cybertruck New Member, advice please, Model Y or wait? 1654537607411

swengl

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model Y
Country flag
Ground clearance is probably the biggest reason I need the CT. The Model Y's 6.6 inches is much shorter than the 8.0 inch clearance in our current vehicle (and when the ground is really wet, I've scraped bottom before in the current vehicle where I need to use it). My S only has 5.7 inches, so that is definitely out :ROFLMAO:.

msdg137

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Wrangler Ecodiesel
Occupation
You make it I break it
Country flag
I was in the same delema. I have purchased two vehicles since placing my CT order...

I originally purchased a used Q7 TDI Audi for the third row, 24 mpg, and towing. To get me by...
The vehicle was eventually bought back by Audi as part of the class action settlement due to constant emissions system issues.
Broke even after two years of driving(mostly new Audi loaner cars)
$7500-$7500 buyback
Which was the original goal buy/sell prices

I purchased a 2022 Wrangler ECODiesel before Diesel sky rocketed. 26mpg, less towing, no 3rd row, but lots of fun on outings with the family. Before diesel skyrocketed I was building equity in this vehicle that I could roll over to the CT. At the time of purchase the dealer had used 2021 Jeeps with 21k SELLING for $58k.
The 2022 diesel wrangler was $52k
Refinanced for a lower rate and got 3 months 0 payments 0 interest.

End goal was to reduce ownership cost in lieu of the vehicle I've really wanted. I have $1600 out of pocket in auto payments since I put a deposit on the CT and may break even on the Jeep if I am lucky.

My current fuel cost is $5000 a year for the jeep.

Installing an EV charging setup at my house would be around $2500

The EV solution would work, yielding the high residual value of a Tesla.
However with used vehicle values up, sell the escalade buy a motorcycle and use your Girlfriends car 🤣

JeffnReno

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y LR with tow package
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'm on the CT reservation list also but will still be considering the MY LR since it will be much easier to park in my garage plus with a tow package and a small utility trailer, I'll probably be able to do fine without a truck. I'm waiting to order the MY LR since I already drive a Model 3 LR but it is RWD only so I have an AWD 2016 Rogue that stays parked most of the time waiting for snow. We don't really need a truck but I would hate to regret not getting it if I pull the trigger on the MY too soon. I voted you get the MY since you drive a ICE daily and will have a much longer wait for your CT than I will.
Sponsored