New Powershare Install by Tesla - Questions - CA

Tanquen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Tesla is doing the Powershare install and they say they charge a minimum $3500 so that is the quote they gave me but there was no description of the work or location of equipment.

They sent a Tesla-Powershare-Customer-Agreement document with a single line item for installation.

The phone number on the document just goes to the main Tesla phone tree and they don't have an option for Powershare yet and I had to try a few different options to talk to someone. Then they would send me to the wall chargers people that did not know what I was talking about. Everyone also said Tesla is not doing Powershare installs.

Anyway, they were able to contact the project manager for my install and he gave me a call and his email address.

He told me that there is a minimum $3500.00 charge for the install so that was why it was an oddly specific amount.

I have a panel/load center on the side of the house and one in the garage.

There is an existing 1" conduit that goes underground from the house to the garage.

When I had the Model S and the Gen 2 - 80A wall charger I was wanting to get 100A into the garage but I never did. If I understand the Conduit Fill Tables correctly a 1" PVC conduit would max out at 100A with three 3 gauge wires. Another chart shows three 2 gauge wires can fit but that would just get you 115A.

Now the wall charges and EVs max out at 48A, so no need for more than a 60A breaker? If you wanted to charge 2 EVs at 48A then I'd need another 60A breaker in the garage.

Would I be able to get another Tesla Wall Charger and load share the same 60A circuit or is this not allowed with the Tesla Wall Charger that is used with Powershare?

There is another 1" conduit through the garage pad only so I'd have to re-trench the conduit outside.

Looking at the diagram they provided, I’m not sure if the garage will be backed up and if they are planning to run the wires for the 60A circuit in the same conduit that is currently being used for the load center in the garage.

Almost looks like they are adding another load center (C on the diagram) on the house and replacing the one in the garage with a 125A load center. Maybe C on the diagram is the existing 125A load center built into the meter enclosure?

Tesla Cybertruck New Powershare Install by Tesla - Questions - CA fsuPxEuFt5ci82mM4avtD0OmZiXwsLlap26_gpzFYUvpFT31xA

Not sure what the RELAY is or why it’s shown on the left side of the door. He said the Gateway would be installed under the stairs.
Tesla Cybertruck New Powershare Install by Tesla - Questions - CA FgaltP-OMwckbIAQWJSCP3_9Dv9QVLQVDG5blQtOHdzHVFFNbk

Thinking it would be something like this.
Tesla Cybertruck New Powershare Install by Tesla - Questions - CA 2YWyA6YjhbfZDT39-uhaRWMjDm4Q1kUHnv6_l7958QUn7MWkpo
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

Tanquen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
They had said it would be mounted under the stairs but now they are saying that nothing can go under the stairs.

Where is everything going to go then?

They also seem to be adding another load center "C" on the drawing. Two large boxes on the other side of the door and the conduit back and forth to the existing meter/load center?

Tesla Cybertruck New Powershare Install by Tesla - Questions - CA 1713568491242-6r

OP
OP

Tanquen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
The City was ok with the NEC Working Clearance but PG&E also wants 3' on either side of the main gas line and a 3' radius around the vent opening for any new electric device, I don't think anything can go under the stairs.

Is it worth checking with them?

If my math is correct, the existing panel is already a little into the 'Existing Electrical Panels and Meter' only space.

Tesla Cybertruck New Powershare Install by Tesla - Questions - CA 1714105861764-i6

Tesla Cybertruck New Powershare Install by Tesla - Questions - CA 1714105876837-u5

OP
OP

Tanquen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Not even sure the can go on the left side of the door with the water pipes going in and out of the house there.
Tesla Cybertruck New Powershare Install by Tesla - Questions - CA 1714105995064-kd

If they can run the wires inside maybe they can go around the side. Seems silly when they could go right next to the existing load center save for the codes/safety.
Tesla Cybertruck New Powershare Install by Tesla - Questions - CA 1714106217046-6k

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
There seems to be some odd excess things on there that should be in the gateway.

That gas regulator is really screwing with you - you can't install panels over it and your current panels are just tight spaces. I wouldn't want to be a worker leaning over it.

Can you use the wall on the inside?

-Crissa

MajorVictory

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag
Tesla's website states that typical installation cost for the cybertruck powershare/gateway begins at $2000. Your installer minimum is suspect and I have found the singular mandated installer charges to be non competitive.

Is there language in our agreement that I must use their mandated installer to have my pre paid hardware released?

OP
OP

Tanquen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
There seems to be some odd excess things on there that should be in the gateway.

That gas regulator is really screwing with you - you can't install panels over it and your current panels are just tight spaces. I wouldn't want to be a worker leaning over it.

Can you use the wall on the inside?

-Crissa
"excess things"

The new third load center 'C'? I think it is because there is no more room in the existing load center. But I don't know how they are bypassing the current circuits to send only utility power only to the gateway and not energizing existing circuits. They show a relocated breaker in 'C' going out 'To (E) Loads'. I think that is going back into the existing load center that will still have all the breakers for everything in the house.

"wouldn't want to be a worker leaning over it."

The gateway and load center 'C', if not too large, would have room in front of them. Not a lot but you would not need to reach over the gas meter. The main thing is that PG&E don't want any new electric enclosures within 3' and I don't want the extra risk either. It would make it a much simpler install though.

"Can you use the wall on the inside?"

You can but then you need to meet the NEC workspace code. They do have an exception for height in older homes if under 200A but you can not have anything in front of it (ever) and I currently have a dryer on that side of the door and a washer on the other. Tesla also said that when other projects want to do something like that with a Powerwall or something it can not be in the living space or needs to be walled off and fireproofed.

Tesla's website states that typical installation cost for the cybertruck powershare/gateway begins at $2000. Your installer minimum is suspect and I have found the singular mandated installer charges to be non competitive.
The installer is Tesla and talked to them again this morning and they were a little cagey about it.
In the end, he said if the install is very simple they change the flat $3500.00, if you want to change anything they charge the full amount for the change. There is no unused credit.

After emailing with the question twice he did finally say that they would go left of the door. The drawing with the red line and note “ENTERING LIVING SPACE” is not a wire but to note the location of the door. Their current plan is to run conduit over the top of the door. 🙁

There is another group that creates the pans to submit and they already created them. Seems like they should go over where stuff will go and how it will connect with the customer first.

He said he would ask to see if they can trench under outside or run the wires inside behind the enclosures. He did say it would delay installation. Is Powershare even enabled yet?

He also asked if conduit has to be above the door would I not want to do it. For them, why not? It’s a profit maker for them to not do the install.

He did say that the aesthetics are a priority for them but then why the go with the worst option and not go over it with the customer?

So:
Best option, to the right of the existing enclosure.

Can’t be done. Can’t meet NEC Workspace requirements and PG&E meter space requirements. Workspace maybe with the old home exception but most likely no way with the gas meter space.

Next best option, left of the door with wiring inside.
Should be doable but with extra cost. I want this one. More difficult but would get rid of the conduits between enclosures A, B, and C. The utility room is also mostly unfinished so no drywall to remove or anything.

Next best option, left of the door with wiring in conduit and trenched in front of the utility room door.
Should be doable but with extra cost. I think it would be more expensive than running the wire inside. Not as clean as running the wires inside but better than two conduits going up over the door.

Worst option, two conduits going up over the door.
Just gives me the, we did not care vibe.

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Gateway ≠ Powerwall.

If there's a washer there, you can't use the wall, duh.

I would do a survey of your household loads to make sure your panel is properly distributed; usually there's outlet strings or outdated load assumptions from when things were built or added that don't match the current loads.

(It does get a little annoying when built in things need their own breaker; but they can also have daughter panels or smaller double breakers instead.)

That might get you some space on your current distribution panel.

-Crissa

OP
OP

Tanquen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
The existing load center has 14 spaces and 6 are already doubled up. The bottom 4 spaces are for the 20A to the garage and a 30A for a wall heater. If the wall heater could go up top with the dryer in a 30A quad breaker that would leave 4 spaces at the bottom.

They may already be doing this to get the second 125A breaker that goes out to the gateway. I still do not know why the new load center 'C' is needed.

It seems like you could have the new 125A breaker that takes the utility power from the exiting 125A main breaker then goes out to the gateway in spaces 11-12. Then the power would come right back in from the gateway to power the existing breakers in the existing load center. The 60A breaker shown in new load center 'C' could go in spaces 13-14 and then out to the garage.

Tesla Cybertruck New Powershare Install by Tesla - Questions - CA 1714175651503-2o

They did just tell me that as the interior walls are unfinished we will be able to go through the interior for the conduit. There will be a couple hundred dollars of additional costs associated but, it can be done.

I asked for the make, model and or dimensions of the gateway and the two new 125A load centers? They did not tell me the size of the gateway but did tell me the part numbers for the two new load centers and they see way overkill for just a few breakers in each.

Load center, Homeline, 1 phase, 24 spaces, 48 circuits, 125A convertible main lugs, PoN, NEMA3R
Load center, Homeline, 1 phase, 12 spaces, 24 circuits, 125A convertible main lugs, PoN, NEMA3R

They are both for outdoor use and seem way too big. I guess the smaller one should be for the garage but it will not fit or they are planning to surface mount it?

Tesla Cybertruck New Powershare Install by Tesla - Questions - CA 1714177463061-h4

X-Press-O

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I just received my CT configuration email. Currently I live in an apartment (without a need for the V3 Gateway) but I am in the process of building a new home which is near 12-15 months out before completing which I do want to install the gate way. Now from my understanding through the forums if I select to receive the Gateway then Tesla will withhold it and it must be installed by one of their tech? Has anyone had experience with this during a new home build?

I was actually hoping to just complete the CT order, receive the gateway and have the home builders install it, but I guess that's not an option. and with the Tesla install prices I'm now seeing I'm having 2nd thoughts is I actually want to take or decline the Gateway.

In lieu of receiving the Gateway if declined the config gives the options of 6-months free super charging or $700 shop voucher. Given the V3 gateway has an aprox value of $1,200 that does not sound like a fair trade off.

"Foundation Series Cybertruck All-Wheel Drive customers who are not eligible or decline Powershare Home Backup will instead receive either 6 Months Free Supercharging or a $700 Tesla Shop Voucher, depending on timing of ineligibility or offer decline."
Sponsored