New Silverado videos / email update. Still know nothing about the CT....

cyberhunter

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ram 2500, Cybertruck preorder
Country flag
I really like the Silverado EV. The styling, functionality, 4 wheel steering, etc. It's not as fast as the CT, but would still be quite quick and from all the videos I have watched that talk about it, I think GM/Chevy have built it on a good platform. Let's be honest the Ultium platform at 350 kw capable and being a structural battery pack is a nice place to start.

The only thing I don't like about the Silverado; the payload capacity is extremely low for my needs. 1300 lbs payload for a full size pickup is ridiculously low. As a point of reference, my polaris ranger can load up with 1000 lbs. The CT is advertised as up to 3500 lbs payload and if it weren't for this one major capabilities difference, the Silverado EV would be higher on my radar.
Sponsored

cyberhunter

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ram 2500, Cybertruck preorder
Country flag
One thing to keep in mind, though is that Chevy has put out a lot of material and produced a pretty show model. They haven't done any videos showing a true working prototype. All the video of the silverado in motion are CG, and they don't even let people other than GM lift and raise the tailgate, midgate, etc. No one ever in the bed, no one ever shown moving the midgate. They don't have a working prototype as far as I can tell.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I think everyone here can be honest....silverado EV looks like a normal truck. idk how you could be on the fence between the Silverado EV and the CT. when you drive the Silverado people aren't going to break neck at it just like the lightning. the CT on the other hand will have people saying wow and pointing at it for years after its already released. also do you really want to deal with electrify americas chargers? most don't work. with Tesla you have their charge network. also note Tesla specializes in EV's, you know exactly what you are going to get from their EVs. ford and chevy just started making them. they have 1-2 years experience compared to 15 plus years with Tesla. don't kid yourself. if your a late reservation holder on the CT then okay jump on it but you'll regret not waiting for the CT. not only that. telling people you drive a Tesla is also a lot better than saying you drive a ford or chevy. basic
I don’t know about years after release. Impression I get is Tesla is turning production on high and by 2027 you won’t be able to drive to the corner market without seeing 3 Cybertrucks.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag

SHorzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
I really like the Silverado EV. The styling, functionality, 4 wheel steering, etc. It's not as fast as the CT, but would still be quite quick and from all the videos I have watched that talk about it, I think GM/Chevy have built it on a good platform. Let's be honest the Ultium platform at 350 kw capable and being a structural battery pack is a nice place to start.
Their latest battery tech is suspect at best. Only thing it is likely good for is to start a big fire.

shaneaus

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy 1500 Z71
Country flag
I like the Silverado a lot. And, I thank the OP for sharing! I think the feature set needs to be brought up to the F-150 regarding outlets (there should be standard outlets innate the frunk and at the rear of the bed of the truck. These aren't mentioned and they are almost imperative as a feature is they want to remain relevant to the working customers). The rest looks great! I do wish they'd offer a bench seat option like I've had in my last three trucks. I don't use it often - but, when I do it is DAMN handy!

I DO like that they are leveraging Google services for mapping/audio. But, I'm concerned about GM's track record on software updates/monthly subscription model.

What concerns me about the chevy?
1) That Ultium battery is OLD tech - go watch Sandi Munro. SO, it'll be almost obsolete upon delivery.
2) Like all other manufacturers there is no viable charging network (hopefully, this will change)
3) They mention that a customer "could" have upgraded software over the air. Interpretation = the customer will have a monthly fee associated with any updates/etc. I'm not a fan of a monthly fee for my truck/vehicle! Tesla doesn't do that g but, the traditional OEM's want to nickel and some their customers for EVERYTHING. And, if you don't want a monthly fee - the dealer will be there to fleece your pockets at every update opportunity.
4) Payload and towing with the old Ultium battery tech will be lower as it will be a much heavier battery than the CT's.
5) They advertised the lowest drag "of any current production vehicle. They can only say that because the CT isn't out yet. So, the CT will beat it on range/towing/cargo capacity because of the battery.

I'll stick with waiting for the CT.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
What concerns me about the chevy?

2) Like all other manufacturers there is no viable charging network (hopefully, this will change)
There are more places to charge a Chevy than a Tesla. So what's 'viable' mean? Now if you mean Reliable, well, one network is definitely more reliable.

-Crissa

chalupa808

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, Cybertruck
Country flag
Tesla isn't to this point with the truck yet... or perhaps they're past this point? This is like what they showed back in 2019.

I didn't think the video was worth posting here, so little was shown, it's just sitting still there.

-Crissa
It's sitting there... MENACINGLY!!

Zabhawkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Nissan Frontier, 2015 F-150, 1984 Jeep CJ7
Country flag
Its got what 2.. maybe 3 inches of sidewall. That wouldn't do for the roads in my town.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
There are more places to charge a Chevy than a Tesla.
@Crissa , not sure I follow what you mean here. I was under the impression Tesla's could charge anywhere a Chevy can, but only Teslas can charge at Tesla superchargers (Right now, in the US anyway). I'm guessing I'm overlooking some basic fact or something.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
@Crissa , not sure I follow what you mean here. I was under the impression Tesla's could charge anywhere a Chevy can, but only Teslas can charge at Tesla superchargers (Right now, in the US anyway). I'm guessing I'm overlooking some basic fact or something.
Currently, there's no official way to charge a Tesla from a North American CCS charging point.

-Crissa
Sponsored