Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes sedan, Corvette coupe, Yukon XL
Occupation
Retired Engineering Program Director
Country flag
this top trim WK is 450 miles because it’s $80K
and also: this top trim WK is $80K because it’s 450 miles

But why such a large battery and so much cost??

Maybe one of the owners of a fleet of work pickups can tell us why he/she would have to have a (call it) 300 mile range useful range?

To drive that far around an urban/suburban work area at about 30 mph, average, the truck would be traveling on the road 10 hours per day. (maybe a 10 hour shift, or 2 shifts per day?). What kind of work would routinely require so much time on the road except for, perhaps long distance point-to-point delivery with short stops.

Maybe a rural delivery business would need it, averaging 50 mph and traveling on the road 6 hours per day (8 or 10 hour shift?, or 2 shifts per day)

Both of those seem like edge cases...
Sponsored

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
I just dont know how big the market is that far up. Depends a lot on what you get for the money.
they don’t plan to sell that many retail, unless at and only against the high price market

it’s something I feel folks gloss over or miss in critiques of the other OEM trucks

in the mid to low retail market, every BEV sold (and low margin) is a lost ICE sale (at standard margin)

in the high retail margin, it’s yuppies like *us* that are considering leaving ICE unless a BEV alternative is offered - and we’re willing to pay a premium

so when folks say eg “they can’t even make that many” I think they’re under-appreciating that these OEMs - for now - aren’t intending to make that many, only to compete against their other product lines. It’s not so much they *cant* make that many, it’s that they’re not intending to.

contrast Tesla, who has no competing product line, and has no impediments to volume

my 2c

meanwhile, fleet is a different animal. Companies are buying essentially ESG cred, which is valuable, to extent signing up for partially converting their (already existing) Ice GM fleet to BEV.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
towing and edge range cases

for reasons you mention, lower price/range trims will better fit a lot of fleets

here they’re showing they can offer max range in class, not expecting they’ll sell those most

Rutrow

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, CyberTruck Tri-motor reservation
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
the truck would be traveling on the road 10 hours per day. (maybe a 10 hour shift, or 2 shifts per day?). What kind of work would routinely require so much time on the road except for, perhaps long distance point-to-point delivery with short stops.
When I was a plumber's helper in high school, my boss wouldn't accept jobs that needed more than 1 hour of drive time. He was allergic to paying 3-4 employees plumber's wages while driving around in air-conditioned trucks. 🤪

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Makes you wonder what Tesla can get it done for.

One of the bigger 4680 visions I'd say is cost control. Though, 4680's are not very plentiful obviously.

Yet.
The Tri-Motor was priced $20K more than the Dual mostly forctge 200 miles of additional range.

WormtownKris

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3, 2013 F150
Occupation
Outside Sales
Country flag
Even the 450 miles range is a bait and switch. The Google result says 450. The actual Silverado landing page says 400 miles* and the footnote says, "*On a full charge based on development testing and/or analytical projection consistent with SAE J1634 revision 2017 – MCT. Range subject to change prior to production. Actual range may vary based on several factors, including ambient temperature, terrain, battery age and condition, loading, and how you use and maintain your vehicle."
So, 450, er 400 miles is subject to change. 🤷‍♂️

Crimson_Fate

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
This is the fallback to the CT. I am a crew cab fan and the size of that rear seat area almost sells it . Power options in the frunk and all the power options in the bed while it still has a 5'11" bed . The CT is going to have the largest bed in its class and possibly best payload and towing.

I just don't care for the rear seat spacein the CT but who knows maybe I'll be surprised and the rear seats can stow away.

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
  • Job site electrical usage
  • Towing to/from job site or multiple during a day
  • Range needed for farther job sites ... go to where work location is vs it coming to you.
quite a bit, I expect!

Thats twice the pack of an SR Lightning, and 35% more than an ER Lightning

SR to LR Lightning price jump is $15K, for 33kWh, or +90mi

If we use that $15K/31kWg as proxy, the GM WT offering to bump from 320mi/130kWH to 450mi/200kWh is about $30K

this top trim WK is 450 miles because it’s $80K
It will be interesting to fill this out whenever they get the specs to everyone ... Nov/Dec/Jan.

Min kWh is 204 so far for 500 mile equivalent. [UPDATE: Probably 218 since you should pick the largest pack within a brand ... i.e F150 98 kWh vs 131 kWh. This would more closely take into account extra battery weight]
Tesla Cybertruck TFL video with the Silverado EV gp2eH29

CT Cd of 0.39 = https://electrek.co/2022/07/26/tesl...surprises-aerodynamic-performance-simulation/
Sponsored

Last edited: