Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
TFL was given a new Chevy Silverado to play and test. This is their first video introduction to the Silverado EV work truck version. This truck supposedly has a 450 mile range. They apparently only come in white. And being a work truck version not a lot of bells and whistles. With dual motor all wheel drive it comes in at $79,900.

Come on Tesla, blow them out of the water, with a way better truck for less money!!!!!

Sponsored

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
I'm sooo surprised that the price was raised....

On a separate note, inb4 the, why do we always share these guys videos posts lol

Bill837

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Z4, 2015 Cherokee Trailhawk, 2008 R1200RT
Occupation
Aviation Weapons/Systems
Country flag
80k........... And of course you as a non-fleet owner cannot buy them. And the cost cutting required to hit even that price point. Base model virtually everything. Assuming Tesla lags a bit on the reveal specs and adds cost. This version hits right between the dual and tri. And of course, the whole tri/quad discussion is hanging out there. Say the dual hits at even 64K, with the same tow rating, almost double the payload, air suspension, full ADAS, dual climate, heated and cooled seats, how could you possibly justify the GMS price. Range on the dual is down, of course, but 10K worth?

Tri, even if it comes in at 450miles and 80K, still crushes the value proposition.

GM cannot get the weight problem solved, and thats going to cost them. We'll see what Lightning II the unibody edition, brings to the table, I suspect it will do better than this, most likely split the difference between GM and Tesla on value and count on the folks who bleed Ford Blue to buy enough.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
80k........... And of course you as a non-fleet owner cannot buy them. And the cost cutting required to hit even that price point. Base model virtually everything.
the $80K WT is their top trim in the fleet offering. there are/will be other, lower priced, offerings in the WT/fleet offering

all of which is separate from their retail models/pricing

Lots of criticisms to be had, but I can’t figure how people seem confused that GM is releasing and talking only about their BEV fleet offering, and in particular it’s topmost fleet trim.

it’s a different animal

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
I am really curious what that 200kWh pack makes up of that $80k sticker.
quite a bit, I expect!

Thats twice the pack of an SR Lightning, and 35% more than an ER Lightning

SR to LR Lightning price jump is $15K, for 33kWh, or +90mi

If we use that $15K/31kWg as proxy, the GM WT offering to bump from 320mi/130kWH to 450mi/200kWh is about $30K

this top trim WK is 450 miles because it’s $80K

NoTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf
Country flag
I bet GM won't even build more than 700 by the end of the 16th month of production.
It appears that they're getting a handle on their supply chain issues. As of the end of July, they'd produced 11k Hummer EVs this year.

I still think the Lightning and the Silverado are compelling offerings. A 200+ kWh battery is no joke (for the Silverado anyway) and you can order a well-optioned Lightning XLT standard range for low $50s now and get it in a month.

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
I post Cybertruck stuff on the Internet and people like it.
Country flag
quite a bit, I expect!

Thats twice the pack of an SR Lightning, and 35% more than an ER Lightning

SR to LR Lightning price jump is $15K, for 33kWh, or +90mi

If we use that $15K/31kWg as proxy, the GM WT offering to bump from 320mi/130kWH to 450mi/200kWh is about $30K

this top trim WK is 450 miles because it’s $80K
Makes you wonder what Tesla can get it done for.

One of the bigger 4680 visions I'd say is cost control. Though, 4680's are not very plentiful obviously.

Yet.

Bill837

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation Weapons/Systems
Country flag
the $80K WT is their top trim in the fleet offering. there are/will be other, lower priced, offerings in the WT/fleet offering

all of which is separate from their retail models/pricing

Lots of criticisms to be had, but I can’t figure how people seem confused that GM is releasing and talking only about their BEV fleet offering, and in particular it’s topmost fleet trim.

it’s a different animal
Going apples to apples as much as possible was where I was going, but there specs that split the difference. Right now, we're sure there will be a 73K 3WT version with 350 mile range. They are promising a 53K version down the road, but I dont see what they can trim from this package to get there at $20,000 less. 1/2 the range? 53K for bare bones 225 mile range?

Retail, again, I think they are hard up against battery pack cost and weight penalty of this huge unibody and weight adds like the midgate. Chart I saw shows the cheapest version for us normies at $85K for the LTZ. I just dont know how big the market is that far up. Depends a lot on what you get for the money.

OP
OP
Sirfun

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Going apples to apples as much as possible was where I was going, but there specs that split the difference. Right now, we're sure there will be a 73K 3WT version with 350 mile range. They are promising a 53K version down the road, but I dont see what they can trim from this package to get there at $20,000 less. 1/2 the range? 53K for bare bones 225 mile range?

Retail, again, I think they are hard up against battery pack cost and weight penalty of this huge unibody and weight adds like the midgate. Chart I saw shows the cheapest version for us normies at $85K for the LTZ. I just dont know how big the market is that far up. Depends a lot on what you get for the money.
That $80K work truck doesn't have a mid gate. But it apparently is pretty damn heavy because 0-60 time was 6.3 seconds in a truck with over 500hp.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Both Tesla and Ford announced $40K trucks. Ford is no longer selling at that price and I seriously doubt if Tesla will be selling a $40K CT any time soon. GM will probably lose money on it if they sold at this price.

Bill837

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation Weapons/Systems
Country flag
That $80K work truck doesn't have a mid gate. But it apparently is pretty damn heavy because 0-60 time was 6.3 seconds in a truck with over 500hp.
That's why my comment about the midgate was in the part about retail versions. I think the weight of the RST has been given as 8,500lbs.
Sponsored