Is Cybertruck stainless steel body magnetic?

OP
OP
JD@T3Cyber

JD@T3Cyber

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Logistics Manager
Country flag
The DeLorean is not magnetic. I would be surprised by a magnetic Cybertruck.
That's interesting about the DeLorean, I'm guessing the SS will be a different make up, but I would have thought it would have been magnetic for it considering its age.
Sponsored

WHIZZARD OF OZ

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Up!
Occupation
Electric Wheelchair Builder
Country flag
That's interesting about the DeLorean, I'm guessing the SS will be a different make up, but I would have thought it would have been magnetic for it considering its age.
One thing's 'certain', CYBERTRUCK is NOT in a state of FLUX.
CT is a 'sure bet'
'Two Weeks'

wtibbit

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes sedan, Corvette coupe, Yukon XL
Occupation
Retired Engineering Program Director
Country flag
JD, magnetic properties of the various steel formulations doesn't depend on age. A steel's magnetic properties - how strongly a magnet will stick to it - depends of the formulation of the alloy and how it is manufactured.

The different formulations of stainless are identified by industry-standard grade names, most based on a three digit code, beginning with 1, 2, or 3. Because of a recent Tesla patent and comments by Elon, I expect the CT's exoskeleton panels will be made of a patented alloy similar to the 300 series stainless, manufactured with specific processes to harden the steel.

The 300 series stainless steels are, at best, only very slightly magnetic. For those that are very slightly magnetic, it is due to how the metal is treated, by cold-rolling, for example.

We probably won't be able to attach magnetic signs or fridge magnets to the Cybertruck's stainless exterior. We'll know for should once someone tries it and reports the results.

Here is that patent: https://patents.google.com/patent/WO2023023083A1/en

Baldey

First Name
Jenia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla M3, ct reservation
Occupation
QA automation
Country flag
Its like you all just ignored my post :( am i shadow banned? Incase you guys are just allergic to reading, here's another fun video:

Last edited:

wtibbit

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes sedan, Corvette coupe, Yukon XL
Occupation
Retired Engineering Program Director
Country flag
Its like you all just ignored my post :( am i shadow banned?
I looked back at all the comments and each added something useful to more fully answer the OP's original question.

Yours included some good, informative links about stainless types and grades, with your own concise summary about the 304 grade.

My comment and others made additional points about what's known or rumored about which grade is likely being used. A couple were humorous and a laugh is always welcome.

When I see similar comments to a post I'm not surprised. They can serve as a support or an underscore, in fact.

It's all good.

In the end, I suspect most of the people on this forum are enjoying seeing little bits of reliable news, and information from whoever has it, to give us some solid facts. And in the absence of that we can have some fun joining in speculation, gossip and even some humor!

Last edited:

GlockandRoll

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche on the weekends, diesel truck mon-fri
Occupation
Arms dealer and musician
Country flag
interesting question! 304 steel alloy is a non-magnetic "Austenitic stainless steel" . 304L is just a lower carbon version of it, so i imagine it is also non-magnetic. Depends on the crystal structure of the iron in the steel. Sounds like cold working the 304 might make it more magnetic at the points of work, so we will have to see!

https://www.meadmetals.com/blog/why-is-stainless-steel-not-magnetic
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austenitic_stainless_steel
https://www.cybertruckownersclub.com/forum/threads/will-magnets-stick-to-the-cybertruck.3522/
good info, thanks.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
interesting question! 304 steel alloy is a non-magnetic "Austenitic stainless steel" . 304L is just a lower carbon version of it, so i imagine it is also non-magnetic. Depends on the crystal structure of the iron in the steel. Sounds like cold working the 304 might make it more magnetic at the points of work, so we will have to see!

https://www.meadmetals.com/blog/why-is-stainless-steel-not-magnetic
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austenitic_stainless_steel
https://www.cybertruckownersclub.com/forum/threads/will-magnets-stick-to-the-cybertruck.3522/
My experience with 304 is that some of it is 'slightly' magnetic. I have a 304 tool cabinet that I can stick magnetic drawer labels on. 316 is definitely not magnetic.

DMC-81

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Transformers Camaro SS, 1985 Corvette Z51, Dodge Magnum R/T, 1981 DeLorean, CT reservation
Country flag
The DeLorean is type 304 stainless steel. There have been a few threads on this topic already. You can do a search for additional information.

Baldey

First Name
Jenia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla M3, ct reservation
Occupation
QA automation
Country flag
The DeLorean is type 304 stainless steel. There have been a few threads on this topic already. You can do a search for additional information.
you don't even have to do that, i linked the other post in the first reply to this thread!

DMC-81

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Transformers Camaro SS, 1985 Corvette Z51, Dodge Magnum R/T, 1981 DeLorean, CT reservation
Country flag

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag