John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Not producing the CT would be a very poor decision strategy for Tesla.

The truck will be produced when supply chain is ready.
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I know a guy whose brother in law has a friend whose cousin plays golf with a man whose sister is in a book club with a gal married to the chief of design at Tesla. Don't worry about a thing. The CT is on schedule and will have 859 mile EPA range.

Dirt Worker

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair Corsa, Mini Cooper, T880 Kenworth, CT
Occupation
Excavation Company
Country flag
Justin Bieber is cast as Darth Vader in the new Star Wars Broadway musical, Vegimite cures baldness and "it's not you it's me, can we just be friends". Am I on the correct thread? This is about the biggest BS lines you've heard right?

Kremmen

First Name
Kremmen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 LR. Some project cars, some bikes
Occupation
Boring
Country flag
A pickup seems like an obvious a must for the Tesla range. It's such a massive market - what, 6300 sales a day in the US? Hard to believe that would be ignored, even for sceptics who don't believe the environmental mission is genuinely important to Musk.

Also, first post, hi!

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
TESLA MISSES DEADLINESā€”SO WHAT?

Posted on September 19, 2021 by Charles Morris

Tesla has delayed the Cybertruck launch to 2022, and thereā€™s been weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth. In fact, the automaker, and particularly CEO Elon Musk, who has admitted that heā€™s always had trouble with dates and deadlines, have become famous for missed target dates and delayed launches. Some Tesla-followers get extremely uptight about this. I am not among them.

Tesla Cybertruck No CT? 50372245433_4524fe5520_k
Above: A look at Tesla's forthcoming, albeit delayed, Semi, Roadster, ATV and Cybertruck (Flickr: Steve Jurvetson)

As regular readers know, I have my issues with Muskā€™s impulsive tweets, but I find his habit of announcing (and often missing) overoptimistic targets to be a matter of little importance.

Okay, if you put down a deposit on a new model, and are kept waiting for years, itā€™s understandable that youā€™re not pleased, but letā€™s consider the context. If you place a reservation for a vehicle thatā€™s not even in production yet, youā€™re among the very earliest of early adoptersā€”by definition, a risk-taker. Waiting longer than you expected and, yes, possibly dealing with some early product defects, is what being an early adopter is all about.

Itā€™s also true that production delays can spell an early demise for a startup business, and Tesla narrowly avoided succumbing to this fate at least twiceā€”once with the Roadster, and again in the Production Hell that accompanied the Model 3 launch. However, Tesla is no longer a startupā€”itā€™s a well-capitalized member of the S&P 500, and the worldā€™s most valuable automaker. Delays in launching the Semi, Cybertruck and Roadster are not good news, but they arenā€™t existential threats to the company.

Before going any further, letā€™s point out that, whatever the nabobs of negativity may say, Teslaā€™s launches are not always lateā€”at least not any more. The Shanghai Gigafactory went from breaking ground to delivering vehicles in just under a yearā€”a little ahead of schedule, and a new record for global automakers in China. Model Y began deliveries in March 2020, a couple of months earlier than predicted, making history as the first new Tesla vehicle to be delivered (more or less) on its announced timeline. It seems that Tesla is getting better at meeting deadlinesā€”or at least that Musk is getting more cautious about setting them.

That said, there are several projects that are now deep into tardy territory. Tesla predicted in 2017 that it would demonstrate a driverless drive from New York to Los Angeles by the end of that yearā€”that oneā€™s running a little behind. Cybertruck and the Semi are very important vehiclesā€”the sooner they hit the road and start decarbonizing these critical vehicle sectors the better, and the delays are allowing Teslaā€™s competitors to snatch the first-mover advantage. On the other hand, getting these vehicles right is arguably more important than getting them out fast. Ironically, Tesla gets criticized from one side for delayed deliveries, and from the other side for releasing vehicles with panel gaps and other defects. Thereā€™s always a trade-off among speed, quality and price (as the old saw goes, you can pick two).

As for the Roadster, it will be a nifty vehicle, but not an important one in the sense that Cybertruck and the Semi are important. These two vehicles have the potential to take a big bite out of emissions and advance the spread of EVs significantly. Sorry, car guys, but Teslaā€™s decision to put the Roadster on a back burner was the correct one.

Itā€™s also worth noting that Tesla is hardly the only automaker that misses deadlines. The legacy brands do precisely the same thing, especially when it comes to their EVs. In February, Toyota ā€œconfirmedā€ that it would bring two new pure EVs to the US market this year...could still happen, I suppose (the automaker is probably too busy lobbying against EVs to spare the time to build any). Over the past few years, several brands have made, and forgotten, promises to release new electric models. And donā€™t get me started on the ā€œcompliance cars.ā€ Every major automaker has played this game: they released new EVs (most of them fine vehicles) with massive media hype, they told us EV journalists that they represented ā€œmajor commitment,ā€ then they sold just enough to satisfy California regulations, and quietly cancelled the vehicles after a couple of years. Whatā€™s worse: launching a vehicle late, or launching a vehicle that was never intended to be sold in any volume?

The final reason why Teslaā€™s by-now-expected delays just arenā€™t that big a deal: even when Tesla takes twice as long as it said it would to get something done, it still ends up being done quicker than it would have in the legacy auto industry. In the pre-Tesla era, conventional wisdom was that developing a new model took an automaker about 10 years from conception to delivery. Nowadays, the usual estimate is 5 to 7 years. Tesla has never taken any longer than that, even for launches that were considered fiascos at the time.

Tesla officially announced Model S in June 2008, and displayed a prototype in March 2009. Deliveries began in June 2012. (True, the production ramp-up was a nightmareā€”it took until 2015 to increase production to 1,000 cars per week.) Tesla unveiled Model X in February 2012, and deliveries began in September 2015, about a year and a half behind Teslaā€™s original timeline. Model 3 was kept tightly under wraps until the 2016 unveiling. Deliveries began in 2017. Tesla first publicly mentioned Model Y in 2015. The unveiling event took place in March 2019, and the first deliveries took place in March 2020.

As an online commentor once put it, Tesla has a habit of promising the Moon, then taking a long time to execute. But when the latest killer product finally gets delivered, are you going to complain? After all, youā€™ve got the Moon!

===

Written by: Charles Morris

https://evannex.com/blogs/news/tesla-misses-deadlines-so-what

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
Materiality principle. If a line of business will not see the light of day and an officer of the corporation deceives the public - e.g. No CT - than that officer gets an unfriendly call from the SEC. Say the stock will go private at 420, get a call. Say you have future capacity in a tweet, get a call. Say the "stock is too high imo", lose the chairman of the board seat. And, if you say that CT is a yes when it is fact a no, you get a call as well as a class again lawsuit.

Maybe..."Um, he's sick. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.". Must be serious.
what's hypocritical is that the stock manipulation that short sellers conduct seems endorsed by the Short Seller Enrichment Commission, as they are never held to scrutiny for blatant manipulation.

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
I have heard nothing, but he ā€œworks at Teslaā€ is such a broad statement. Does he work as a designer or the janitor? Is he head of product development or the 3rd assistant to the junior secretary of hubcap acquisition? You said yourself he didnā€™t know much about the Cybertruck so why are you wasting time, emotional currency or thread space even believing him that it might, maybe, in some alternate universe be true?

Cybertruck is Muskā€™s baby. You donā€™t kill your baby because an inferior product rolled 1 copy off the line before you did.

Smoke some of your medicinal marijuana and relax.
This is why he put the Cybrfactory in Texas, Elon didnā€™t want his baby killed before it is born.

What?!? Too soon?!?!?

Jectos

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Corporate Compliance Manager
Country flag
I ran into a friend today that knows someone that works at Tesla. He is a nice guy but clearly didn't know much about the CT. The friend told him that the CT will never see production and credited the Rivian as the primary 'killer'. Now, I do not know what might motivate a Tesla employee to even hint such a thing, and I do not know what might have been lost in translation, but it did shake me up a bit. I know I am talking with 'the faithful' but have any of you heard or sniffed anything like this?
There are something like 1 million pre-orders. What would be the rationale to kill production?

CyberG

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 P85+
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
There are something like 1 million pre-orders. What would be the rationale to kill production?
Yes. And even if 75% of the orders are cancelled there is still profit potential.

OP
OP
Jhodgesatmb

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I'm not going to cancel mine, there's no other highway-truck option in a mass-market price.

-Crissa
I know, I suck for even bringing it up. I have no intention of changing my order and I agree that nothing about it makes sense. I havenā€™t received any additional information attesting to ā€˜anyā€™ validation or authentication of the source or their source. I am incline d to forget the whole thing.

Dawgfan

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
JL Jeep, Chevy S10, Infiniti Q60
Country flag
I know a guy, who is sleeping with a woman, that is an experts on vaccine effectiveness, who one dated a fed ex guy that delivered to Tesla and according to them the Cybertruck will fly every day at 4:20 PM sharp.
Sponsored