ituner-HF

First Name
Andrei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S, X and 3, Waiting for Cybertruck
Country flag
I was hoping for side sails (like in original marketing pics) but this high-resolution video of the rear of the Cybertruck convinced me that there are no side sails. Notice how the steel is not "cut' where it should be for door opening. Maybe the side sails moved towards the interior of the truck bed....

As a consolation, I keep thinking that 'less is better', esp on the exterior. :)

Sponsored

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
I agree with you and think its been obvious in all the designs we've seen publicly from the last few months. Any thoughts on side sail storage is from people holding onto hopes and desires from a reveal night feature they loved, not based on the reality of what is being shown in public.

I also believe the tailgate ramp is another abandoned feature from the list of reveal night features, one that I have hopes and desires for, but am realistically admitting I doubt will remain a feature in the end product. But at least we actually saw the tailgate ramp in action in the real world on the reveal night stage. So there is slightly more hope for that feature remaining. Side sails, I don't think were ever seriously considered in the prototype design, but were just something that a design illustrator drew in a mock up image which they used on stage, which astute viewers spotted and latched onto, leading to many viewers falling in love with the idea of it. But I don't think it was ever actually acknowledged by anyone at Tesla, beyond that image in the background on stage.

We haven't seen it since reveal night, and the tailgate ramp lid has changed from metal to plastic, which does not appear to be on a pivot point. I loved the idea of the integrated tailgate ramp, but I just don't see it remaining in the designs we've seen since reveal night.

I could be assuming wrong from the change to plastic trim which normally is hard mounted to tailgate top, and would be very prone to breakage (due to being plastic now) if it swung open. My assumption is based on that observation and I have not seen one shot of the tailgate in action since then, never has it been unlatched and lowered into the down position except that one time on stage.

Last edited:

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Elon said he doesn't like it when the prototype promises more than the real thing.

Sail pillars still remain a feature when viewing the CT order page.
(CT now removed from main menu)

https://www.tesla.com/en_au/cybertruck

Tesla Cybertruck No Cybertruck Side Sails, for sure 1655474178426

Cybr on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 UncorkedMS75awd+Upgrade fsd,M3LRawd+fsd,CT3FSD
Country flag
Elon said he doesn't like it when the prototype promises more than the real thing.

Sail pillars still remain a feature when viewing the CT order page.
(CT now removed from main menu)

https://www.tesla.com/en_au/cybertruck

1655474178426.png
I also feel that the sail pillars are “not”excluded. I feel there is no reason why it would change. None in my mind anyways. I’m truly excited about this feature and I am one who wants it to not change. It will just work so well with anyone who trailers, hunts, fish, does jobs around property, etc. etc. see. The list is endless. Practicality just wins in every case with me and the Cybertruck SCREAMS PRACTICALITY. 😁
it’s just that damn awesome!!

Now, having a spot to place our side mirrors and BAW for storage would make me very happy.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I was hoping for side sails (like in original marketing pics) but this high-resolution video of the rear of the Cybertruck convinced me that there are no side sails. Notice how the steel is not "cut' where it should be for door opening. Maybe the side sails moved towards the interior of the truck bed....

As a consolation, I keep thinking that 'less is better', esp on the exterior. :)

Thanks for sharing but that isn't really a new video that proves anything, other than that the prototype shown does not appear to have gaps for the sail storage to open from.

Each side sail has the same volume up until the top of the rear wheel arches, as the frunk in the Model Y. It would seem a waste and poor packaging if they would give that away.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
I don't believe that the sail storage or tailgate ramp are gone just because they aren't seen in the prototypes. I've also seen pics showing the prototype doesn't have an airbag, but I am extremely confident the final product will have airbags.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Worrying about every nuance on every prototype is perhaps cathartic but not very productive. I am as guilty as the next but I don’t think the answer is in on the sail storage.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
I also feel that the sail pillars are “not”excluded. I feel there is no reason why it would change. None in my mind anyways. I’m truly excited about this feature and I am one who wants it to not change. It will just work so well with anyone who trailers, hunts, fish, does jobs around property, etc. etc. see. The list is endless. Practicality just wins in every case with me and the Cybertruck SCREAMS PRACTICALITY. 😁
it’s just that damn awesome!!

Now, having a spot to place our side mirrors and BAW for storage would make me very happy.
Maybe some space is accessible from the inside the bed. It would still be lockable but not nearly as convenient. Easier to manufacture out of less than 3mm SS.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
These are prototypes.

My bet is either:

Sail pillar design is straight forward enough to add they aren’t worried about it at this stage.

— Or —

It’s needed for structural integrity after all and they have been axed.

I’d very much like them to be there myself. Since Ford has done such a great job with their power system and storage, it would be good for Tesla to get a win here.

Of course Tesla is likely to crush it on range, charging, speed, driving quality, handling, and likely completely crush it on the UI/ car computer design maybe they aren’t too worried. It is a feature I can do without… but I’ll grumble quite a bit.

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
I don't believe that the sail storage or tailgate ramp are gone just because they aren't seen in the prototypes. I've also seen pics showing the prototype doesn't have an airbag, but I am extremely confident the final product will have airbags.
Air bags are legally required. Poor comparison.

Hope you are right though!

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
Worrying about every nuance on every prototype is perhaps cathartic but not very productive. I am as guilty as the next but I don’t think the answer is in on the sail storage.
What else are we gonna do?

It's all we got until some real shit gets dropped. 😉

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
These are prototypes.

My bet is either:

Sail pillar design is straight forward enough to add they aren’t worried about it at this stage.

— Or —

It’s needed for structural integrity after all and they have been axed.

I’d very much like them to be there myself. Since Ford has done such a great job with their power system and storage, it would be good for Tesla to get a win here.

Of course Tesla is likely to crush it on range, charging, speed, driving quality, handling, and likely completely crush it on the UI/ car computer design maybe they aren’t too worried. It is a feature I can do without… but I’ll grumble quite a bit.
The flat straight inside bed wall would be better suited for structural purposes because it can sit directly on the rear bed cast. So having the opening on the outside like the original design is better either way, both for access and structure.

Last edited: