g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
I post Cybertruck stuff on the Internet and people like it.
Country flag
I think it's maybe just interior bed accessed now. Plastic is easier to mange than steel. The seam is where the side rails are. Simple.
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I think it's maybe just interior bed accessed now. Plastic is easier to mange than steel. The seam is where the side rails are. Simple.
Eh. Sure hope not. That’s damn near worthless.

Lots of storage solutions for trucks. Almost all of them designed to make it so you don’t have to get up in the bed to fetch things because that is a pain in the ass.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
If anything then this might even be possible if the interior bed wall is being used structurally.
If that was standard on the CT it would blow away the competition storage solutions. Could be some 240l in size either side, and would explain the lack of a gap for the sail lid.

Tesla Cybertruck No Cybertruck Side Sails, for sure F350 Bed side boxes.PNG

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Model X wing doors ,,, Tesla has the expertise to make the whole side go straight up, miss objects, stop if needed, or even swing up wider if there's a rack protruding.

Currently, there is a smooth top along the bed frame which houses the tonneau open/close switches and mounting points..
This area would need a 'lip'… Just maybe, this will be the telltale sign of a side sail in future prototypes, not a side seam.

And… maybe why the charging point was moved !!

Tesla Cybertruck No Cybertruck Side Sails, for sure 1655712777235

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
If anything then this might even be possible if the interior bed wall is being used structurally.
If that was standard on the CT it would blow away the competition storage solutions. Could be some 240l in size either side, and would explain the lack of a gap for the sail lid.

F350 Bed side boxes.PNG
Just make sure to let those beers rest for a few hours after stopping before you crack them open! :)

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Just make sure to let those beers rest for a few hours after stopping before you crack them open! :)
Lol. Can't happen to me, don't drink, never have, never will. But apparently tapping the bottom of the can 30times settles them down again.

With air suspension it shouldn't get to bumpy in the CT rear though, and I think the frunk is a much better location for a fridge.

But the side opening sail storage could actually work for the CT. They could Pop out and slide up, or even fold together along the seam where they used to open from. Theres a decent amount of volume around the front and rear of the wheels, all of which would have excellent access from the outside. Also an ideal place to put a foldout workbench or camp kitchen.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Hear is my thoughts for an inside accessible storage bin. It would certainly be easier to manufacture. It might be hard/impossible to open with gear in the bed, but would be locked anytime the tonneau is closed. Not as good as the exterior access, but better than nothing.

Still handy to keep tie down straps, maybe a hunting rifle, fishing pole, level etc.

Tesla Cybertruck No Cybertruck Side Sails, for sure 1655740074529

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Hear is my thoughts for an inside accessible storage bin. It would certainly be easier to manufacture. It might be hard/impossible to open with gear in the bed, but would be locked anytime the tonneau is closed. Not as good as the exterior access, but better than nothing.

Still handy to keep tie down straps, maybe a hunting rifle, fishing pole, level etc.

1655740074529.png
Could work but I still think the internal wall is still better for structural by sitting on the rear bed casting. It would actually make sense for the exterior panels to be replaceable after a small collision etc similar to a normal car. So making them non-structural would probably be better either way. Same for the front quarter panel really, and the doors are already non-structural, but then the question remains what is left of the "exoskeleton" design. Is it exoskeleton on the second layer, or is the term just hype?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag

1655740074529.png
This is kind of my point about how worthless it is to have these open inwards.

Any time your vault is loaded that storage is inaccessible. If you set up a bed in the vault for camping, it’s useless. If I have bikes in the vault, I can’t access this storage. Even if the vault is empty in order to access this space I need to open the vault and climb into it to get at it.

I just don’t get the idea of access it from the inside sail pillar storage at all.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
This is kind of my point about how worthless it is to have these open inwards.

Any time your vault is loaded that storage is inaccessible. If you set up a bed in the vault for camping, it’s useless. If I have bikes in the vault, I can’t access this storage. Even if the vault is empty in order to access this space I need to open the vault and climb into it to get at it.

I just don’t get the idea of access it from the inside sail pillar storage at all.
All or nothing. I guess. Yes I would prefer outside access too but I would take internal access if no other option. You only need a little bit of room to access most of the storage. If you need to put something agaist the hatch remove the contents ahead of time not that difficult.

bad61

First Name
TODD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 volt and 2013 ford ev getting cybertruck
Occupation
RETIRED
Country flag
I agree with you and think its been obvious in all the designs we've seen publicly from the last few months. Any thoughts on side sail storage is from people holding onto hopes and desires from a reveal night feature they loved, not based on the reality of what is being shown in public.

I also believe the tailgate ramp is another abandoned feature from the list of reveal night features, one that I have hopes and desires for, but am realistically admitting I doubt will remain a feature in the end product. But at least we actually saw the tailgate ramp in action in the real world on the reveal night stage. So there is slightly more hope for that feature remaining. Side sails, I don't think were ever seriously considered in the prototype design, but were just something that a design illustrator drew in a mock up image which they used on stage, which astute viewers spotted and latched onto, leading to many viewers falling in love with the idea of it. But I don't think it was ever actually acknowledged by anyone at Tesla, beyond that image in the background on stage.

We haven't seen it since reveal night, and the tailgate ramp lid has changed from metal to plastic, which does not appear to be on a pivot point. I loved the idea of the integrated tailgate ramp, but I just don't see it remaining in the designs we've seen since reveal night.

I could be assuming wrong from the change to plastic trim which normally is hard mounted to tailgate top, and would be very prone to breakage (due to being plastic now) if it swung open. My assumption is based on that observation and I have not seen one shot of the tailgate in action since then, never has it been unlatched and lowered into the down position except that one time on stage.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
All or nothing. I guess. Yes I would prefer outside access too but I would take internal access if no other option. You only need a little bit of room to access most of the storage. If you need to put something agaist the hatch remove the contents ahead of time not that difficult.
I wouldn’t say all or nothing, but moving it from outside to inside moves it from super useful feature to being slightly below the fart noises in terms utility.
Sponsored