CyberTW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y &3
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
I see that you were responding to my comment regarding putting them under the seat. I thought you were responding to my comment regarding doubling the pack. Either way, both would work and still allow tesla to have the diaphragm structural pack design. a 4" pack under the seats could sit on top of the steel plate making up the current pack. I dont know if you are aware that the current structural pack design is completely detached from the steel sheet under the battery pack. they put a sheet of micah that allows the pack to bend and twist while remaining isolated from the bottom plate. They could easily double stack the pack in trays like they are squirt all that bonding foam in there and still have a composite diaphragm.
Go work for Tesla and tell them how they arenā€™t as smart as you. I actually donā€™t think you are wrong in your thinkingā€¦ but you must be missing something. If it were that easy, wouldnā€™t they do what you are saying?
Sponsored

m_jorge

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pre-ordered Cybertruck 3-motor
Occupation
Research
Country flag
I'm just disappointed in the range. I was really hoping for 400 miles. Maybe they'll make a long range version later. I'll wait.

freakyguy666

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 x2, CT x2; PowerWall x4
Country flag
Based on the Tesla engineer in this interview, the CT would recover ~50% of its full charge in just ~10 minutes of supercharging via V4.

Thats exceptionally quick and comparable to getting gas at a gas station.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Still have sticker shock ... maybe iā€™m just trying to come up with personal reasons to justify it šŸ˜¬.
You are.

If you can justify it to yourself and can afford it, so be it. YOLO.

Now if I spend >$100k on a truck, I may end up divorced and living in said truck. I like my house. And bed. And not giving half my stuff to an ex. And I really hate lawyers who make me give up that stuff.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Based on the Tesla engineer in this interview, the CT would recover ~50% of its full charge in just ~10 minutes of supercharging via V4.

Thats exceptionally quick and comparable to getting gas at a gas station.

How many V4 super chargers are in your 'hood?

Cenakaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
sober take from a non-reservation holder and non-investor:

It is an absolute fail as a work truck. The size reduction and all the extra tech, some of which are the antithesis of a work truck, as well as a massive price increase from the initial projection all made this a terrible work truck that is supposed to maximize the 'work' aspect of the vehicle.

From another perspective, this is a super truck with all the latest and greatest tech you can conceivably cram into a truck at a lower price than the likes of Raptor R, RAM TRX and comparable to Rivian, which allegedly is losing money on their trucks still.

Ask yourself realistically, if we take an F-150 Lighting Pro ER, which many would agree here is a work truck that is not exactly profitable to build according to Ford, then add in the following features:
  • beefy air suspension
  • 4 wheel steering (4WS)
  • fully steer-by-wire (SBW)
  • 48V wiring harness (which is also what enabled SBW in the first place)
  • 800-400V battery
  • tough exterior
  • integrated motorized tonneau cover
would that still be anywhere close to 50k? Just the air suspension alone would have cost 10k or more.

The conclusion:
The good:
  • engineering masterpiece
  • very competitive with current market offerings
  • truly unique in the segment
  • halo vehicle (Cyberus*) with tech that will trickle down to cheaper models (SBW and 48V)
The bad:
  • late to market
  • smaller than the original and likely a lower weight class than the original, hence the reduction in payload and towing capacity
  • new tech = manufacturing challenges and a short-term lack of 3rd party add-ons due to the 48V system and unconventional truck design
  • some features are now either gone or only available as a separate item, like sail pillar storage and air pump
The ugly:
  • LMAO for people to even treat this as a work truck. Perhaps after 2 years of refinement and removing some of the costliest features like 4WS and air suspension, we'll get to 55-65k dual motor ~340mi and 70-80k for >400mi range
  • expensive truck is expensive, regardless of how amazing this truck is. It will scare off many potential buyers until prices come down. This however is mostly a downside for consumers and is unlikely to affect Tesla in the short term as they ramp up production
  • Whether they can come close to 200k annual production depends on their ability to create trim level(s) that appeal to enough potential buyers, whether it's fleet customers, overlanders, mall crawlers, etc. Big long-term challenge
*Cyberus just rolls off the tongue better than Cyber Beast and fits the decal. Thanks to whoever came up with the name in this forum. I don't ever believe the top model will be anything but a halo truck even with all the improvements that could materialize after they ramp up production, similar to the plaid models.

Last edited:

WheezyLex

First Name
Lex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model 3
Occupation
US Navy
Country flag
sober take from a non-reservation holder and non-investor:

It is an absolute fail as a work truck. The size reduction and all the extra tech, some of which are the antithesis of a work truck, as well as a massive price increase from the initial projection all made this a terrible work truck that is supposed to maximize the 'work' aspect of the vehicle.

From another perspective, this is a super truck with all the latest and greatest tech you can conceivably cram into a truck at a lower price than the likes of Raptor R, RAM TRX and comparable to Rivian, which allegedly is losing money on their trucks still.

Ask yourself realistically, if we take an F-150 Lighting Pro ER, which many would agree here is a work truck that is not exactly profitable to build according to Ford, then add in the following features:
  • beefy air suspension
  • 4 wheel steering (4WS)
  • fully steer-by-wire (SBW)
  • 48V wiring harness (which is also what enabled SBW in the first place)
  • 800-400V battery
  • tough exterior
  • integrated motorized tonneau cover
would that still be anywhere close to 50k? Just the air suspension alone would have cost 10k or more.

The conclusion:
The good:
  • engineering masterpiece
  • very competitive with current market offerings
  • truly unique in the segment
  • halo vehicle (Cyberus*) with tech that will trickle down to cheaper models (SBW and 48V)
The bad:
  • late to market
  • smaller than the original and likely a lower weight class than the original, hence the reduction in payload and towing capacity
  • new tech = manufacturing challenges and a short-term lack of 3rd party add-ons due to the 48V system and unconventional truck design
  • some features are now either gone or only available as a separate item, like sail pillar storage and air pump
The ugly:
  • LMAO for people to even treat this as a work truck. Perhaps after 2 years of refinement and removing some of the costliest features like 4WS and air suspension, we'll get to 55-65k dual motor ~340mi and 70-80k for >400mi range
  • expensive truck is expensive, regardless of how amazing this truck is. It will scare off many potential buyers until prices come down. This however is mostly a downside for consumers and is unlikely to affect Tesla in the short term as they ramp up production
  • Whether they can come close to 200k annual production depends on their ability to create trim level(s) that appeal to enough potential buyers, whether it's fleet customers, overlanders, mall crawlers, etc. Big long-term challenge
*Cyberus just rolls off the tongue better than Cyber Beast and fits the decal. Thanks to whoever came up with the name in this forum. I don't ever believe the top model will be anything but a halo truck even with all the improvements that could materialize after they ramp up production, similar to the plaid models.
Are people basing ā€œwork truckā€ based solely off of the non-mass-market price and the fact that its range is lower than they expected? Iā€™m sincerely asking here.

ā€”Lex

Cenakaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
Are people basing ā€œwork truckā€ based solely off of the non-mass-market price and the fact that its range is lower than they expected? Iā€™m sincerely asking here.

ā€”Lex
Pretty much. And the complaints come primarily from the tri-motor crowd as they expected 500mi range for towing. As Tesla moved to a smaller platform and weight class, putting 500mi battery in the truck became less appealing (for Tesla) since payload capacity, handling and performance would take a hit. Besides, Tesla would also need to make CT taller to accommodate the double-stack battery pack.

But that's just my speculation. Whatever the reasons are, Tesla have priced the CT way above what most people expected, disappointing those who saw the CT as a value work truck for the masses.

Edit: Long story short, Tesla priced out a lot of people who would use CT as a work truck

Last edited:

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
with the dropping prices of the x, s, 3 and y, I was hoping that Elon would try to keep the prices at least within 10-20% of the original prices but 40-50% increases is really a hit to his loyal fans
I am not happy with the price either, but I knew the price had to go up based on the spread between the Y and X. I think the truck is more expensive to make as well so keeping the prices was not realistic. I have assumed that Tesla will eventually compromise on their 30 % margin. I am thinking the $7500 rebate is gravy on top of the 30%. (note they aren't making 30% on the rest of their lineup now.) When demand falls off a bit I think the dual could fall as low as $65,000 or $57,500 with the rebate, but that is as low as it will ever go.

I don't see Tesla building more that 250 k per year, or more that this first line is capable. They will manage supply to keep this a premium truck and let the Big 3 fight over the scraps.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Yeah people were expecting a 10-20% increase, but with the price of all the other vehicles coming down significantly, I don't believe anyone was expecting 50-60l% increases. Do you remember what happened when Rivian increased their prices to reservation holders???
Rivian was different. They took a larger deposit, and buying a Rivian at the time was a gamble because frankly who knew if they would survive.

Tesla won't fare as badly on this.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
It truly is. There are a couple of YouTubers who pointed out how terrible the 4680s are compared to the 2170s. I think they're still a few years away from getting that right. I have a feeling that if they had to do this over again, they'd just stick with the 2170s. I'm still completely confused on why they don't just double stack the pack. Maybe they will in the future, if they ever get enough cells to warrant it.
the 4680 are proving to deliver more power through their charge range. The 0-60 times didn't start to drop off until battery was at 30%.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
The single motor was definitely a surprise

but to be fair, it wasnā€™t released. I could have been the person in charge of building CTs at both Fremont and GFTX and not still not known the single was being previewed.

because to be fair-fair, zero singles have been built to date, wonā€™t be available for ~2 years, and we all remember the last time Musk said a CT trim was coming in two years. šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ™šŸ¼
I think Tesla will meet or exceed that date.

In a sense the RWD reinforces the price of the AWD. Truck drivers especially will pay an extra 10-15k for the thought of offroad adventure that will be open to them.

I thought for a long time that the RWD might be a dual motor RWD and Tesla would standardize to 2 motors in the rear. If that were the case the RWD would be very good at traction considering the 50/50 weight balance. Not like a RWD ICE at all, and plenty of power for towing.

The reduced range is interesting is this because it will only have an induction motor or are they removing a row of batteries.

I am most interested in why the range extender concept is not applying to the RWD?

As you have said. Lots to speculate on.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Is it possible that the range extender could have bi directional induction energy transfer? I doubt it, but Tesla did buy that induction charger company.
Sponsored