Herbert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Model 3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Forgive me for not knowing this but when I read that Tesla may be coming out with a Plaid Cybertruck I was thinking "Tartan? that wont look good at all!." Can someone explain to me what this really is? Thanks.
No problem. Elon is a science fiction buff. He's also a fan of "Spaceballs," the 1987 comedy by Mel Brooks. Mel came up with the term plaid to desiginate the fastest the space ship can go, (I think this is the correct attribution). Please correct me, someone, if I got it wrong.
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Forgive me for not knowing this but when I read that Tesla may be coming out with a Plaid Cybertruck I was thinking "Tartan? that wont look good at all!." Can someone explain to me what this really is? Thanks.
Last summer Tesla showed up in Germany with a 3 motor Model S and ran some trials there. This became known as the Plaid S for reasons set out above. It was, of course, theorized that Plaid S and Plaid X would soon enter the Tesla portfolio and indeed they may but among Tesla employees it is thought that the Plaid S was no more than a test bed for the 3 motor configuration that will go into the CyberTruck. Thus I suppose the TriMotor CT is a Plaid truck. As to whether there will be Plaid versions of the other models - well I guess we'll see.

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
Sure, not totally accurate dialogue but you'll get the idea. The actual clip's on YouTube.

From the comedy movie Spaceballs, the dialogue was something like, "Emergency -- we have to go to Code Yellow speed! No it's too serious -- increase to Code Orange! Still not fast enough -- this is an actual CODE RED! Won't be enough enough, Captain -- we'll have to go to, God help us, LUDICROUS MODE! Sir -- not quite enough -- we will need [gasp] -- we have to go to CODE PLAID!"

Last edited:

lukefrisbee

Banned
Banned
First Name
luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2m AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Sure, not totally accurate dialogue but you'll get the idea.

From the comedy movie Spaceballs, the dialogue was something like, "Emergency -- we have to go to Code Yellow! No it's too serious -- switch all programs to Code Orange! Still not fast enough -- this is an actual, God help us, CODE RED! Won't be enough enough, Captain -- I'm afraid that for the first time, we have to go to [gasp] CODE PLAID!"
I appreciate you taking the time to tell me that.

lukefrisbee

Banned
Banned
First Name
luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2m AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
retired
Country flag
When I read that Our Savior Elon will have a "Plaid Cyber" I did not think that it would be something that I or the masses could also own. You guys sure are making a huge assumption(s).
And another thing..."Plaid" in his mind might be the three motor powertrain.
And another thing... There is a thread on here that was a rumor of Tesla considering NOT having a single motor version, and instead the lowest powertrain would be a two motor rear-wheel drive powertrain. I stated if that were true then ALL the configurations might change with each powertrain getting an additional motor... And that makes some sense because Rivian's "tank turns" had to make Elon's eyebrows raise the second he saw the video.

hridge2020

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
Aircraft Fixed/Rotary - Rocket/Missile/Spacecraft/Air Defense Scientist
Country flag
Yep. we also would like the suspension, cornering to be like the sedans. (not like what we have seen the prototype vehicle exiting the Restaurant in Los Angeles area and hitting that sign. It was leading a lot for turning.)

The Salamander Co

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ Cruiser
Occupation
Contractor
Country flag
Thanks all for the explanation of Plaid. I'll work on my inner geek. Adios. Wash your hands!!

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
After ludicrous speed comes plaid. Spaceballs

Cyber1qhorsey

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FORD Expedition, Escape, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
"Tartan? that wont look good at all"
Speaking for all of Irish and UK descent, a TARTAN wrap would be a BEASTIE. GO MAC!

Garden_Aum

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius Prime, Nissan Leaf, Tri Motor Cyber Truck
Occupation
Researcher
Country flag
The different 'modes' are Spaceballs references. Check out the YouTube clip

The modes go in the following order:

Light speed
Ridiculous speed
Ludicrous speed
Plaid

Cyberchief

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, BMW X5, 1924 Ford Model T
Occupation
Fire Chief
Country flag
I agree, being a Scotsman the first thing I thought of tartan?

Snuups

First Name
Yannick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Country flag
I agree with Blazer, you people are insatiable, you cry more, more, more, don't you know if you go too fast time reverses? This is insanity!
You can't have enough battery.
Sponsored