Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
69 BB Vette, 83 Cutlass
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
The Cybertruck tri-motor is BAD. If there is a "BADDER" option (Cybertruck plaid), I'm in. I'd love nothing more than Tesla pounding in the last nail in the coffin of the competition. If there is a "plaid" truck that is faster than the tri-motor, please, Tesla, let me know. I WANT IT! Hell, I count down the days now until I can get ANY Cybertruck... I CAN'T WAIT!!!
Sponsored

Cybercliff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F-150 V8 Super Cab Lariat
Country flag
I believe that our reservation order allows for up-grades.

moonrover

First Name
Jonathon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Toyota Tundra
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
Tesla Cybertruck Plaid Cybertruck Is A Thing Says Musk! 1586534080637

Elon posted another reply to the OP’s tweet last night, saying "There's a bit more to it than that."

Here it is:

ModelAZ

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Ordered
Country flag
Elon posted another reply to the OP’s tweet last night, saying "There's a bit more to it than that."

Here it is:

Pretty cryptic. Wish he elaborated. I'm going to guess that "a bit more" potentially means that there's no extra motor but Plaid will feature faster acceleration, better cooling, better off-road ability and software enhancements.

TalSet

First Name
Rudi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR from Germany
Occupation
Self Employee / PV Cleaning
Country flag
Think that it will be a additional upgrade that you can buy afterwards, something like the newest upgrade for ravens.
Can´t imagine that there will be 2 different motor versions for the trimotor. I guess Plaid or nothing. And standard is called tri-motor, and the performance version is called plaid. btw: battery´s don´t get that hot. the motors are getting hot.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
My guess.... Plaid motors will be PMSRM with variable timing. Electric motors are most efficient when fully loaded so just putting more motor/ more powerful motor does get you to a faster launch or faster top speed but you carry that extra load for all the time you don't need it (wasteful). but with switching you can choose timing and set up a motor for higher torque or higher top rpm. The power consumption/ output stays the same but the components of the power (power= force(rpm)).
My belief is that towing mode uses the same variable timing with the timing set towards torque dropping the top speed from 130mph to say 80 with the converse increase in torque. Plaid would then just be an active control of that timing while the motor is in use vs a preset.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
You guys are talking plaid being more offroad oriented. I'm thinking the other way. Slam that truck and make it a canyon cruzer, driving on rails. Elon does live in LA.

Old Spice

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, Polaris RZR
Country flag
You guys are talking plaid being more offroad oriented. I'm thinking the other way. Slam that truck and make it a canyon cruzer, driving on rails. Elon does live in LA.
I wouldn't be surprised by this at all. The Cybertruck should come with off-road crawling mode as standard since Model Y even has it. And a speed mode which gives max acceleration while dropping the suspension would give the Cybertruck a really unique feature not seen in other pickups and trucks.

CostcoSamples

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Odyssey
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
It's possible Elon meant he will have a custom Plaid CT made for himself only... Tesla has a lot of projects on the go, and a Plaid Mode CT might not be high on the priority list.

lukefrisbee

Banned
Banned
First Name
luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2m AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
retired
Country flag
It's possible Elon meant he will have a custom Plaid CT made for himself only... Tesla has a lot of projects on the go, and a Plaid Mode CT might not be high on the priority list.
I've read too much about this "plaid Cyber" issue. But I seem to remember he referred to Plaid in the Cyber being, "more than just the tri-motor" (paraphrasing). So I believe Cyber will be offered at a "Plaid" level.
And if I were Elon I would always have all my Teslas "Custom".

bfayer

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Ascent, Mustang GT, Toyota Prius
Country flag
ludicrous and plaid are from the movie "Space Balls" If you have not seen it, you probably should. At least watch a you tube clip of space balls going plaid, all would then be clear.

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2019 Tesla M3 LR AWD FSD, CT3 reserved
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
one thing i would like to mention on the suspension front... it was mentioned previously that there was a lot of 'Roll" in the cornering during test rides at the unveil. For those rides, the suspension appeared to be fully extended. I have to imagine dropping it all the way down would help that roll as the batteries are closer to the ground. that also helps drag and range. I have buddies with lifted trucks and they lose between 3-5 mpg with just the lift added. I can see a mode where the truck hunkers all the way down to give maximum aerodynamics, and minimum roll on turns.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
one thing i would like to mention on the suspension front... it was mentioned previously that there was a lot of 'Roll" in the cornering during test rides at the unveil. For those rides, the suspension appeared to be fully extended. I have to imagine dropping it all the way down would help that roll as the batteries are closer to the ground. that also helps drag and range. I have buddies with lifted trucks and they lose between 3-5 mpg with just the lift added. I can see a mode where the truck hunkers all the way down to give maximum aerodynamics, and minimum roll on turns.
Roll is a function of suspension stiffness. Since CT has damping suspension it should be able to set stiffness at any height. But you are on to something... it would be nice if CT could counter roll automatically by selective stiffening and perhaps tilting on corners. I dont think air is fast enough to do that kind of dynamic response though.

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2019 Tesla M3 LR AWD FSD, CT3 reserved
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
Roll is a function of suspension stiffness. Since CT has damping suspension it should be able to set stiffness at any height. But you are on to something... it would be nice if CT could counter roll automatically by selective stiffening and perhaps tilting on corners. I dont think air is fast enough to do that kind of dynamic response though.
I see the speed for the CT being straight-line speed... I cant imagine trying to take it around a racetrack of any sort without it being lowered to the ground, with minimal ground clearance. This thing is going to be amazing, but lets be realistic here guys and gals, it cant be perfect at everything!

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
I see the speed for the CT being straight-line speed... I cant imagine trying to take it around a racetrack of any sort without it being lowered to the ground, with minimal ground clearance. This thing is going to be amazing, but lets be realistic here guys and gals, it cant be perfect at everything!
Even at 16 inches the CT will have a lower center of gravity than 8 inch Ice truck and at 8 inch clearance it will be better at cornering than ice 4 inch. Why do you think it would only be good at straight line? Vehicles can lower their center of gravity by 2 ways. Lower the entire vehicle or lower the weight distribution in the vehicle.
Sponsored