Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
So you're shopping somewhere (groceries, Home Depot, doesn't matter). And after you check out, you're carrying a couple bags of stuff with your hands full, but it's no problem. As you get to the CT, it automatically detects your presence and and rolls up the "vault cover" for you.

Why?

Because while standing in line, you dialed up the Tesla app, and selected "open vault on next approach". (You probably don't want it to be always).

Or just give us one of those "foot swipe" options under the bumper.
Sponsored

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
So you're shopping somewhere (groceries, Home Depot, doesn't matter). And after you check out, you're carrying a couple bags of stuff with your hands full, but it's no problem. As you get to the CT, it automatically detects your presence and and rolls up the "vault cover" for you.

Why?

Because while standing in line, you dialed up the Tesla app, and selected "open vault on next approach". (You probably don't want it to be always).

Or just give us one of those "foot swipe" options under the bumper.
I’d be pretty surprised if this doesn’t get implemented, but don’t you need the tailgate down as well? Have you seen how high the back end is? Only an NBA basketball player could reach over it with groceries!

Sputter

First Name
Herbert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Model 3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I’d be pretty surprised if this doesn’t get implemented, but don’t you need the tailgate down as well? Have you seen how high the back end is? Only an NBA basketball player could reach over it with groceries!
Yes, of course, you are correct. The vault cover stays closed to keep out any rain. (Of course, the thing is going to leak....don't see how Elon can prevent that.) Only the tailgate need open. God, we're spoiled.

OP
OP
fritter63

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Don’t think they would motorize the tailgate.

Tge pace Edwards roll cover on my Dodge didn’t leak. (I think). And it was flat. This one has a nice slope to shed water

Bigvbear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Don’t think they would motorize the tailgate.

Tge pace Edwards roll cover on my Dodge didn’t leak. (I think). And it was flat. This one has a nice slope to shed water
I dont see that being a hard thing to implement. After all you already have to push a button (unknown if it's electro-mechanical servo or mechanical) to release the tailgate. i have to assume since it's tied to the suspension lowering in the back that it's a servo.

The only video i can find of where you can see someone actually releasing the tailgate was from the reveal when Franz opened it up for the quad. He pressed a button that released the tailgate and another to roll up the vault cover, then let it down by hand and pulled out the ramp.

In the Jay leno video you can see Elon lower the tailgate, but it was already released and the vault cover was closed.

CyberCop

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Silverado HD , Cybertruck dual on order
Occupation
Retired LEO ?‍♂??
Country flag
Well if it doesn’t come with the CT I’m sure some 3rd party will come up with a solution.

OP
OP
fritter63

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I dont see that being a hard thing to implement.
I had a long technical reply typed out and decided to fact check myself.....

Looks like Chevy has figured it out!

Now, what would be REALLY cool is if the tailgate itself was a retractable cover like the top part.....

Bigvbear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Now, what would be REALLY cool is if the tailgate itself was a retractable cover like the top part.....
It could be quite possible to make it all 1 unit and roll from the top around the corner to the bumper, however, this would not appeal to pickup truck buyers as many of us use the tailgate for multiple purposes. IE work surface.

I would also kill the built in ramp they showed during the reveal with the cyberquad.

ricinro

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla MY, 2001 ford Sportrac
Occupation
mech design engineer-ret.
Country flag
all this automated stuff is slick but when the kids are playing around there must be foolproof sensing to prevent accidents.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
I think I heard a great suggestion somewhere about being able to geofence the automatic opening doors and such on Teslas... so that everytime you walk by your truck at home, the doors (or vault) do not keep opening and closing.
But while you are away, say at a work site, shopping location, etc... it will open as you approach...
I think another suggestion is if you need to turn it off for just a short time (like loading or unloading), maybe set a 'do not enable again until I drive more than a mile', so you can temporarily turn it off for a location?
Features and more features...

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Currently the Model X door opens as you approach the vehicle if your fob is on your person and the feature is enabled. The door also automatically shuts when you walk away from the car. So clearly the tech exists and Tesla has it. I guess I'd rather have auto presenting doors (as they call them) than an automated tailgate or tonneau.

Bigvbear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I think I heard a great suggestion somewhere about being able to geofence the automatic opening doors and such on Teslas... so that everytime you walk by your truck at home, the doors (or vault) do not keep opening and closing.
But while you are away, say at a work site, shopping location, etc... it will open as you approach...
I think another suggestion is if you need to turn it off for just a short time (like loading or unloading), maybe set a 'do not enable again until I drive more than a mile', so you can temporarily turn it off for a location?
Features and more features...
I was thinking about this....you may not want the vault to automatically open let's say when its raining or has snow on the cover.

FullyGrounded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
blah
Country flag
I'm pretty sure I heard that as your phone comes close, the doors will unlock... so, it would follow that the same could be programmed for the vault. Bummer is, you don't just want the vault opening when you don't need it either. So, some action might be best established. peace

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
When you needed the feature, it would be super-handy, though. Like when you're loading in an urban area.

You could always turn it off later.

-Crissa
Sponsored