Powerwall 2 in vault of Cybertruck...easy range upgrade.

JackPaladin

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Cybertruck Trimotor Full Self Driving
Country flag
Powerwall 2 in vault of Cybertruck...easy range upgrade.

Theoretically, add up to 10 Powerwall 2 units in vault of Cybertruck. ( Estimated by Cybertruck hauling weight capacity)
Extend range up to Los Angeles to New York full roundtrip without recharging. ( With enough Powerwalls.)

Bonus: Lower wear and tear on your Cybertruck permanent battery pack.
Extra Bonus: Charge your Cybertruck Powerwalls quickly @ Supercharger.

Any other ideas?
Sponsored

Saskateam

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Jeep YJ, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Operating Manager Power Lineman
Country flag
Powerwalls are not free. A power wall is 13.5 kWh. If the CT gets close to the power usage of the MX 355 w/mile which is going to be close a powerwall will give you 38 miles extra range. Not sure the economics works out.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
A Power Wall 2 has a capacity of 13.5 kWh. These trucks are going to deliver 2.5 - 3 miles per kWh. That means 34 to 41 miles per charge per PW. Ten (weighing 2640 Lbs) would give you 340 to 410 miles. Hardly enough to get to NYC from LAX.

Pu RTG? You'd never have to charge it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JackPaladin

JackPaladin

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks! Your math skills are better than mine. :)

OP
OP
JackPaladin

JackPaladin

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks! Your math skills are better than mine. :)

Cyber1qhorsey

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FORD Expedition, Escape, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I too briefly thought a modified powerwall might act as a spare Jerry can. But definitely after market. Like gas cans, they are not likely safety certifiable.

OP
OP
JackPaladin

JackPaladin

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I too briefly thought a modified powerwall might act as a spare Jerry can. But definitely after market. Like gas cans, they are not likely safety certifiable.
I saw a YouTube video where a guy charged his Tesla with a small portable gasoline generator. About 12 miles added per gallon... Enough to get safely off a highway to the nearest electrical plug. ?
Probably be a LOT cheaper to put a small generator and Jerry can in the vault if offroading for emergency.

rstrouts

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Extra, standalone, portable, towable, up to million mile battery trailer charged up at home, SC, etc. Extra battery = staying out longer while camping, job site, etc for, esp, the Cybertruck. Use also, with range extending sw upgrade (which is cheaper route?) and you could stay out in the boonies for a much longer time.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
The possibilities as to what someone (Tesla or someone else) might do in a trailer with a 100 kWh battery pack are mind boggling especially if it interfaced with the CT's traction battery directly. But would one want to shell out $15K (battery alone) plus for a trailer.

Duramax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CTS-V, 850hp Diesel
Country flag
I saw a YouTube video where a guy charged his Tesla with a small portable gasoline generator. About 12 miles added per gallon... Enough to get safely off a highway to the nearest electrical plug. ?
Probably be a LOT cheaper to put a small generator and Jerry can in the vault if offroading for emergency.
That's my plan, though 12 miles per gallon is almost as bad as the Nova I'll be towing. LOL

CostcoSamples

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Odyssey
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
The possibilities as to what someone (Tesla or someone else) might do in a trailer with a 100 kWh battery pack are mind boggling especially if it interfaced with the CT's traction battery directly. But would one want to shell out $15K (battery alone) plus for a trailer.
Yes, very cool idea but crazy expensive. Currently, EVs are just not great for towing. An additional 100 kwh battery might only give you 100 miles of range while towing a trailer. Depending what you are trying to accomplish (maybe a camping road trip?) it's still not super practical.

Where I live, wide open spaces with VERY limited super charging is the norm. Cold weather adds further complication. 200 kwh battery is about the minimum for towing to be practical in the summer, and 300 kwh for winter. If I were towing a big work trailer regularly to various job sites around Alberta, I'd want 500 kwh of battery storage.

Thankfully, I am like 90% of truck owners and plan to never tow anything.

2Futre4u

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor LR 2019 Silverado 1500 LT Z71 Trailboss 1994 Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Environmental Scientist
Country flag
From the roof...

Tesla Cybertruck Powerwall 2 in vault of Cybertruck...easy range upgrade. tesla-model-3-mall-crawler-has-powerwall-on-the-roof_1

UpToNoGood

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tacoma 4x4, 2015 Super Tenere
Occupation
Cyber stuff
Country flag
Lets say you get the 500 mile range CT. After X amount of miles the 500 mile pack will only give you 300 miles due to degradation. You might/could get a new 500 mile pack for the truck and place the degraded 300 mile pack in the vault for a total of 800 miles of range.
Sponsored