DMC-81

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Transformers Camaro SS, 1985 Corvette Z51, Dodge Magnum R/T, 1981 DeLorean, CT reservation
Country flag
Update April 18, 2020

For those worried about the interior being shrunken too much, according to Musk (who just tweeted now), the production interior dimensions will be reduced "maybe 1.5%." But it will be "Still very roomy."

Original post April 16, 2020

Elon Musk has just shared that the production Cybertruck's size has been reduced by about 3% from the concept. Other changes include a center line that is more level, as well as a lower window sill height.

Musk tweeted: "Reduced size by ~3%, center line is more level & lower window sill height."

A 3% overall size reduction results in 7" inch shorter length. Previously (on Dec 7), Elon said:

"We can prob reduce width by an inch & maybe reduce length by 6+ inches without losing on utility or esthetics. Min height is below 75 inches when air suspension set to low. Will post exact number soon."

So it looks like Musk stuck to his initial estimates.

I recall watching a video posted by one of the You-Tubers that went on a drive after the reveal commenting that the interior was huge. I thought the same thing after watching several of these. So, I think -1.5 % would be barely visible.
Sponsored

Last edited:

CT4FP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Cybertruck DM
Country flag
I believe that a Goldilocks Cybertruck ( max length 208 inch, I hope, in my humble opinion ) is still forthcoming and will be designed and offered in the U.S. and globally. 208 inch would still be considered quite large in Europe and Asia / Australia.
I tried a shorter 208 inch (5283 mm) version by shortening bed of 3% smaller version to about 5 ft from 6.5. It's possible and not terrible but does ruin balance of design I think and would require moving peak and adjusting interior area as well. 208 inch would probably also be good length for SUV / shooting-brake.

Tesla Cybertruck Production Cybertruck Size Reduced By 3% With a More Level Center Line and Lower Window Sills [Update: Interior Reduced 1.5%] cybertruck-length-208

Tesla Cybertruck Production Cybertruck Size Reduced By 3% With a More Level Center Line and Lower Window Sills [Update: Interior Reduced 1.5%] cybertruck-lengths

Geo

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru STI, KTM450EXC
Country flag
I tried a shorter 208 inch (5283 mm) version by shortening bed of 3% smaller version to about 5 ft from 6.5. It's possible and not terrible but does ruin balance of design I think and would require moving peak and adjusting interior area as well. 208 inch would probably also be good length for SUV / shooting-brake.

cybertruck-length-208.jpg

cybertruck-lengths.gif

Wow, I still like it, but you’re right, the longer the tail, the better it looks, coming to that fine point of the triangle.

It would be different to the pure point that the sail pillars meet the tail gate. But if it was something closer to a shooting brake,
(e.g. similar to Audi R8 PB18)

In my head i like the idea that the tonneau, just as it rolls through more that 90 degrees when it tracts past the rear window, could roll through 30 degrees or so for a short length to roll down to meet the tailgate.
That way the sail pillars and the storage within them get a little bit larger. ( Just spitballing as they say )
Perhaps pivot the rear roof line around the C pillar, would it lower the peak by 2 inch’s and raise the line meeting
the tailgate by about 6 inch’s. Or perhaps just steepen the rake of the belt line.

If the pass through between the cabin and the bed is possible to any degree like the Chevy Avalanche, it could be a "shut up and take my money" proposition to me. ;)
( I know, they know they already have my commitment, but hey a more practical length will greatly increase demand, certainly overseas, but also in the U.S.)

But no matter how much better it looks or any other attribute. If its not practical, to park and drive in the city, sooner or later it becomes very tedious if not frustrating. Parking something 5300mm long is definetely harder. Parking bays are barely that big and you still need allowance for manoeuvring. Anything bigger tests the boundary of viability. Unless Autonomous parking means you dispense with parking considerations yourself altogether !

P.S. I should reiterate for anyone who hasn't been following along, this is all to do with a 2nd version of the Cybertruck, (in addition to the
~82 inch wide, ~225 inch long version) that was identified as forthcoming in the order page once global demand was assessed.
Which it now has been, and is likely sufficient at about 180,000 units confirmed.
Elon confirmed in a tweet they are working on one that is about 73 inch's wide, but that may now be atleast 2 or more inch's wider.

Last edited:

CT4FP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Cybertruck DM
Country flag
If the pass through between the cabin and the bed is possible to any degree like the Chevy Avalanche, it could be a "shut up and take my money" proposition to me. ;)
( I know, they know they already have my commitment, but hey a more practical length will greatly increase demand, certainly overseas, but also in the U.S.)

P.S. I should reiterate for anyone who hasn't been following along, this is all to do with a 2nd version of the Cybertruck, (in addition to the
~82 inch wide, ~225 inch long version) that was identified as forthcoming in the order page once global demand was assessed.
Which it now has been, and is likely sufficient at about 180,000 units confirmed.
Elon confirmed in a tweet they are working on one that is about 73 inch's wide, but that may now be atleast 2 or more inch's wider.
I bet it'll just be a matter of time before Tesla offers something like Chevy Avalanche --shorter bed but opens up when 2nd row folded for long bed. Handy for long items and camping -- maybe even sleeping in back during autonomous drive.

azjohn

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Country flag
Young Urban Professional, doesn't that describe Elon himself, all be it an extremely successful one ;)

P.S. Where as I'm hoping the Robotaxi Cybertruck gets here to provide me a home and an income before I need to move into a comfortable bus shelter.

Before my life resembles the skit by the "Four Yorkshiremen" about "Luxury" !

My post was aimed at the city guys who feel a need to have a smaller truck to park in their garage and be able to drive in the city. I live in the country and have always parked my trucks outside with no issues. If you are concerned about having a smaller vehicle CT is probably not for you, Model Y would be

SentinelOne

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
See Sig
Occupation
IT
Country flag
That makes me feel a bit better! Nice KTM's....will put my KTM sticker on first thing like I always do....even M3P has one (wonder what people think)..but hey it adds 20ft lbs torque! ;-)

Getting a bit tight in the garage - this is where the M3P now sits
Tesla Cybertruck Production Cybertruck Size Reduced By 3% With a More Level Center Line and Lower Window Sills [Update: Interior Reduced 1.5%] IMG_0133

• Love
Reactions: Geo

SpaceDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Kia Sportage PHEV... 2025+ GMC Denali EV
Occupation
Space Cowboy
Country flag
My mistake, sorry. But still, why change what isn't broken? I can only hope that the changes are imperceptible as you suggested.
Change what isn't broken? The darn thing hasn't even been released yet, and this is all conjecture. So nothing is set.

Shortening the vehicle is probably a good idea because it will increase the entry and departure angles, which are important for off-road capability.

dano0726

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Jeep JK Wrangler
Occupation
Treasury Finance Insurance
Country flag
I will need to trust Elon on this -- if he's stating the interior capacity will be reduced by about 1.5% = I can live with that...the rear leg room for a F-150 Super Crew is about 43.6 inches; with his 1.5% reduction (just to the rear leg room) that would come to about 43 inches...

CEO209

First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyber truck
Occupation
Solar construction supervisor
Country flag
A slight size reduction is no big deal, but tinkering with the original design by flattening the center line to near level does not sound like a great idea. The raked approach gives it a more sporty, "Lamborghini" look. Changing that could make the production Cybertruck look more like the childish caricatures we saw as memes all over the web. I'm glad this was only a $100 deposit.
I agree I hope I am getting what I ordered I mean as far as looks

CT4FP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Cybertruck DM
Country flag
My fear is that CT will start to resemble a Subaru Brat or JEEP CJ
Shortening by 7 inches to 225 inch length has to be last major change before production. But I can see Tesla doing a JEEP CJ-type vehicle in addition sometime after CT production starts.

Geo

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru STI, KTM450EXC
Country flag
If you are concerned about having a smaller vehicle CT is probably not for you, Model Y would be
I'm just going to have to say it . . . . . Model Y is ugly :( Wayyy to bulbous.

When your're right, you're right. Size should eliminate it for me, but damn all those other attributes make me say to Elon, shut up and take my money.

Kind of like a woman who is amazing, for so many reasons,
but she just can't cook so badly, that you put up with the terrible taste and occasional food poisoning,
but mostly you try to skip meals or eat out ;)

In any case, Goldilocks Cybertruck is coming according to Elon, (the 2nd version, additional to the ~225 inch one )

P.S. I think the self isolation might be getting to me.

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
tri-motor Cybertruck W/full self driving - E350 Coupe - Jeep Commander
Occupation
Emergency Management
Country flag
I hope there aren't any more changes in the dimensions. I still want it to have all the functionality of a full size PU.

Cybr on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 UncorkedMS75awd+Upgrade fsd,M3LRawd+fsd,CT3FSD
Country flag
I'm just going to have to say it . . . . . Model Y is ugly :( Wayyy to bulbous.

When your're right, you're right. Size should eliminate it for me, but damn all those other attributes make me say to Elon, shut up and take my money.

Kind of like a woman who is amazing, for so many reasons,
but she just can't cook so badly, that you put up with the terrible taste and occasional food poisoning,
but mostly you try to skip meals or eat out ;)

In any case, Goldilocks Cybertruck is coming according to Elon, (the 2nd version, additional to the ~225 inch one )

P.S. I think the self isolation might be getting to me.

Me too??
Sponsored