Pros/Cons of buying a CT (mostly fiscally related)

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I find that hard to believe since there is less heat and brake dust. Is there any truth to this?
Well, there is less competition for EV maintenance, so the per unit is higher.

Just make sure you add some emergency braking to your weekly driving and you'll keep the oxidation off the rotors and they'll actually last longer.

-Crissa
Sponsored

AndrewB

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT-Tri Res, V10 Excursion, Victory Tour, Prius
Occupation
IT support, Development and Sys Admin
Country flag
I have driven 5 around trips from Warsaw Virginia to Lauderdale by the sea in Florida. 965 miles each way with average of $41.00 in Super Charging costs.
Yeah, real numbers tend to be MUCH better than my estimates since I have to use averages and stay very conservative.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
If you want to make sure the price doesn't change, put in your reservation ASAP. While it's not legally binding, Tesla has never changed the price on a vehicle that was already reserved at a given price once the reserved configuration was available.

This is smart and it helps lower the total cost of ownership more than most people realize. The more you save up, the better.

I would suggest you buy the tires for the required use, not how they look. Tires can dramatically change the driving characteristics of any vehicle and are one of the most important components in terms of performance, towing capability, noise, range and efficiency, etc, far too important to pick them based on looks. I'm of the mind that the tire that is the most suitable for the way the truck is actually used are going to look good and offer superior performance, the lowest cost of ownership. It also sends an important message about you. If you use the truck for work you will not impress your clients if you show up to bid the job with expensive, inefficient tires that are obviously just to look macho. And if you work for someone else, suitable tires send the message to your boss that you are a no-nonsense guy who knows his sh!t. Tires matter too much to pick them for the superficial quality of aesthetics. You're not buying a toy, you're buying a truck!

True, worrying about battery replacement would be no more sensible than worrying about how much it's going to cost you to rebuild the engine and tranny of a gas truck at 200K. It should go at least twice that or more.

Tesla is not saying the windshield is going to be tough just to get brownie points, they are trying to solve a problem, that of frequent windshield damage. They are doing this because they know it costs the truck owners time and money to replace broken glass and it happens all too frequently.

As for Tesla Service, we've owned 2 Model 3's for 3 years and Tesla service has been great, no other car brand's service network can compare in our experience. They even replaced my 12V battery for free as a preventive measure after 2 years when I had no idea there was anything wrong with it. This is when I took my car in to get the latest Self-Driving Computer Upgrade for free. I think the only thing they've ever charged either of for in 3 years is install and mount/balance of new tires or winter tires and the price was very reasonable.

While not everyone has only positive service experiences no matter which brand, I think Tesla does a noticeably better job than most all dealerships (I'm sure there are a few exceptions to the rule). And my sense is there are some Tesla haters out there that just make stuff up, more with Tesla than other brands.

I think your expectations are pretty realistic except I don't know if I would expect to get a .75 to 1 million miles without considerable expense. Not nearly as much as an ICE vehicle would require but it would be safer to plan on 500K, maybe a bit less if using like a truck on bad roads, towing, etc.. Anything after that could just be thought of as a bonus.
I'll get KO2's on my CT...... they're good year round and I don't have a lead foot.

Pappy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Hybrid Corolla, F250
Occupation
Retired Underground Coal Miner
Country flag
Can’t wait to see the final design so we all can stop assuming what we’re gonna get. There are alternatives to the CT that are currently less (for all wheel drive), if cost is a significant hurdle, but, most all the same pros apply. 21 years in southwest CO and have yet to deal with hailstorms that may damage the body, now, windshields is another story, 2 per year is a good guess for me. Big sky in CO allows for solar systems to help offset the cost of driving the EV so yea that makes sense as my daily driver. Still gotta keep my Power Boost though, to get me where I wanna be in the fall (no charging station near by)?

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
After initially thinking the CT was ridiculous, I’ve done a complete 180 and decided I need one in my life… <Snip>
Global warming is NOW.

Everyone is experiencing the side-effect of a petroleum based economy. All of us are in-transition, whether hybrid, EV or GOAT ICE vehicle the petroleum energy system is end of life(EOL). It has 20yrs left, max.

You choose your terrestrial transportation plan, impact and costs. EV, hybrid or the GOAT gas vehicle you want to hang onto carry subsequent cost in order:
  1. Mass transit
  2. EV,SOLAR,POWERWALL->Offgrid
  3. BEV, SOLAR, Battery storage
  4. BEV
  5. Hybrid
  6. Diesel
  7. ICE

Longer you wait the higher the bar to entry raises. Johnny-come-lately to their realization that they need a plan, for some, Mass transit becomes default.

A sliver in time, right now, Hybrid is both viable and option to take. ICE, as mentioned, quickly is escalating into unaffordable territory. Diesel, not much better, remains cheaper to run than gas. BEV are an affordable option — affordable to those who can afford it.

Ditto remaining are only affordable to the Fortunate Few. My guess top 7.5% of wealth holders.
Tesla Cybertruck Pros/Cons of buying a CT (mostly fiscally related) C08F9DC2-B14A-4714-A7D5-7B8C4DFCA715

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
Can’t wait to see the final design so we all can stop assuming what we’re gonna get.
Elon has made it pretty clear that the final design is pretty close to what we have already seen. Expect a few nice surprises though. Also expect the people that feel entitled to have the Cybertruck to be designed precisely for their personal use case to whine like a fleet of 747's all taking off at the same time.

Meanwhile, happy owners with the first deliveries will be smiling ear to ear.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Well, there is less competition for EV maintenance, so the per unit is higher.

Just make sure you add some emergency braking to your weekly driving and you'll keep the oxidation off the rotors and they'll actually last longer.

-Crissa
I read my Pacifica hybrid uses friction braking under 10mph and above 60% brake peddle pressure. I would think the under 10mph would do the trick. Likewise, I've heard of Prius owners with over 150,000 miles without any brake issues.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
A sliver in time, right now, Hybrid is both viable and option to take. ICE, as mentioned, quickly is escalating into unaffordable territory. Diesel, not much better, remains cheaper to run than gas. BEV are an affordable option — affordable to those who can afford it.

Ditto remaining are only affordable to the Fortunate Few. My guess top 7.5% of wealth holders.
C08F9DC2-B14A-4714-A7D5-7B8C4DFCA715.png
I think your wealth pyramid is strangely out of place when discussing new vehicle purchasing. Most people who buy new cars (of any type) are primarily the wealthiest few percent. People with less financial resources or who are trying to achieve financial independence typically buy used.

To my way of thinking, your financial position in life would be more of a factor of whether you buy new or used, not what kind of powertrain you buy. If you can't afford a new ICE vehicle, you will probably buy a much less expensive used vehicle. I didn't start buying new vehicles until I had zero debt and the new vehicle purchase was less than 3 percent of my retirement account. Not everyone is that disciplined but my point remains, new/used is a much bigger price differentiator than what kind of powerplant the vehicle has.

Also, as the world adopts EV's at an increasingly blistering pace, the depreciation of new hybrids will be just as steep, maybe slightly steeper, than that of 100% ICE vehicles. Hybrids are overly complex and require as much maintenance expense as most gas cars. It makes zero sense for most people to buy a car that's half BEV and half ICE. With the speed of buildout of fast DC chargers worldwide, it makes much more sense to ditch the ICE engine and just go with the much simpler pure BEV.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
I think your wealth pyramid is strangely out of place when discussing new vehicle purchasing. Most people who buy new cars (of any type) are primarily the wealthiest few percent. People with less financial resources or who are trying to achieve financial independence typically buy used.

To my way of thinking, your financial position in life would be more of a factor of whether you buy new or used, not what kind of powertrain you buy. If you can't afford a new ICE vehicle, you will probably buy a much less expensive used vehicle. I didn't start buying new vehicles until I had zero debt and the new vehicle purchase was less than 3 percent of my retirement account. Not everyone is that disciplined but my point remains, new/used is a much bigger price differentiator than what kind of powerplant the vehicle has.

Also, as the world adopts EV's at an increasingly blistering pace, the depreciation of new hybrids will be just as steep, maybe slightly steeper, than that of 100% ICE vehicles. Hybrids are overly complex and require as much maintenance expense as most gas cars. It makes zero sense for most people to buy a car that's half BEV and half ICE. With the speed of buildout of fast DC chargers worldwide, it makes much more sense to ditch the ICE engine and just go with the much simpler pure BEV.
I get what you're saying about added complexity, but PHEV's don't require as much maintenance expense as most gas cars. Part of that is regenerative braking, also if you mostly drive around in EVmode you're not putting that many miles on the gas system.

https://www.greencarreports.com/new...to-maintain-and-repair-finds-consumer-reports

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I read my Pacifica hybrid uses friction braking under 10mph and above 60% brake peddle pressure. I would think the under 10mph would do the trick. Likewise, I've heard of Prius owners with over 150,000 miles without any brake issues.
It'll vary by vehicle, but a hard stop will employ the brakes. You want the wheels to spin a few times while the calipers are engaged.

Oxidation builds up and over time that digs into the surface of the rotors. This can cause uneven heating in light braking and more surface ablation from the rotor, which leads to premature aging of the rotor.

Basically, gotta keep those rotors polished!

-Crissa

Last edited:

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I get what you're saying about added complexity, but PHEV's don't require as much maintenance expense as most gas cars. Part of that is regenerative braking, also if you mostly drive around in EVmode you're not putting that many miles on the gas system.

https://www.greencarreports.com/new...to-maintain-and-repair-finds-consumer-reports
Hybrids are maybe a little cheaper than most pure ICE cars for the first 100,000 miles but a car like a Honda Civic or a Toyota Corolla is likely to have fewer expenses after 100,000 miles and just age more gracefully towards the end of life. They are also easier for an amateur to keep going.

I will also point out that after following Consumer Reports for decades, especially on topics that I know a lot about, I...well let's just say I lost respect for their journalistic integrity no matter how many times they tell us they are unbiased and don't accept advertising. It's a BS claim, they are one of the most biased organizations out there masquerading as unbiased. They have huge value in their ability to sway consumer purchasing and they use it! There is no doubt about that. I can no longer trust anything they say.

A study of plug-in hybrids revealed just how little they actually get plugged in many cases. And they still have a gas engine. The fact that it may get little use doesn't mean it doesn't build up carbon and combustion by-products and need oil changes, new sensors, catalytic converters, etc. All the cold starts and starting and stopping is not ideal from an emissions standpoint. While most of them are probably considerably better than buying a larger, more performance oriented ICE car, I can't see that they move the needle much compared to a sensible, simple gas car of comparable size. Ones with 30 or 50 miles of all-electric range use batteries that could be put in a zero emissions vehicle. They are being used to extend the ICE era which is something the planet can little afford when we have better options.

Dirt Worker

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair Corsa, Mini Cooper, T880 Kenworth, CT
Occupation
Excavation Company
Country flag
Model 3 average yearly insurance cost is $2,300 compared to Toyota Camry cost of $1,724. Chevrolet Silverado $1,720. Given the projected safety rating and durability of the CT, I would guess that the average cost will under $3,000.

Tires are tires and wear is at the mercy of the driver. A good set of high end Coopers can last up to 100,000 miles but in the hands of a teenage "rally racer" won't last a month.

Linkage is the only wear point that I would be concerned with in a vehicle of this size and I will be greasing mine with high end lube at overly frequent intervals.

Brake pads and disks should last much longer given the regenerative system.

Stainless steel is as the name implies (mostly). Exposure to extreme temperatures , PH levels and abrasives can leave marks but rarely. Ferrous metals (tire chains) impacting the skin of the vehicle will leave bits behind and will rust the effected areas but remedies are available.
I will be purchasing a body wrap with my company logo but only for looks.

The CT should last a good long time with very little upkeep.