FRSandro

First Name
Alessandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes E450, Toyota Sequoia, BMW 228i
Country flag
Yes, it's asking too much considering the most range Tesla ever claimed for the Dual Motor is 340 miles, not 350 miles.

But you missed my point. Asking for a certain range regardless of speed and load is unrealistic, it violates physics because range is dependent upon speed and load.
You should read again what I wrote.

It's not unrealistic to ask for 100 miles less than the advertised maximum range in a consistent basis.

It should not be a big deal. Eventually that guaranteed number will come up. It might be 100 miles, IDK. But it's gotta be something.
Sponsored

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag

It's not unrealistic to ask for 100 miles less than the advertised maximum range in a consistent basis.

It should not be a big deal. Eventually that guaranteed number will come up. It might be 100 miles, IDK. But it's gotta be something.
Yes, it's unrealistic to demand a certain range regardless of speed and load.

FRSandro

First Name
Alessandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
All three of these YouTubers are on cross-country trips with brand new high performance electric trucks. Some of which have never driven a Tesla. They are all in a hurry together where they're going. The speed limit in this part of the country is 75 miles an hour plus, and it's winter so they're all using heat. The cybertruck at 80% charge is probably around a 270 mile range. Couple that with the off-road tires which comes on the foundation edition for some reason, the fact that they're all probably hot riding quite a bit, and using the heater, and driving in mountains and you're not going to have great range. It's as simple as that lol. Also if anybody who's buying an EV to tow over 200 mi you're not smart no offense they're just not capable of doing it.
This should all be factored in the truck design.

I get it that it explains range variations.

But I don't think people here coming from a gas truck don't get the point that it varies.

The point I'm guessing many are trying to make to the EV converts is that the range lower numbers are way too low. (Maybe, we don't know for sure yet).

If 340 miles is the average, in ideal conditions it should be much higher than 340. Maybe 440.

In the less than ideal scenario, it should be at least 250, or so I hope.

It's not about *understanding* that it may vary.

I just want to know for sure what is the range driving at 75mph in highway with AC and four adults in.

Assume it's a mountain road and cold and heat or whatever makes it worse.

The minimum range at such should be reasonable.

I never in my gas truck had to figure out if the AC level is going to hurt my range. It's about what's comfortable for me.

I never had to worry about elevation changes.

I get 250 miles easily. That's the point. Could I get more? Sure, maybe. But the low range of 250 works.

Darth abbott

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
This should all be factored in the truck design.

I get it that it explains range variations.

But I don't think people here coming from a gas truck don't get the point that it varies.

The point I'm guessing many are trying to make to the EV converts is that the range lower numbers are way too low. (Maybe, we don't know for sure yet).

If 340 miles is the average, in ideal conditions it should be much higher than 340. Maybe 440.

In the less than ideal scenario, it should be at least 250, or so I hope.

It's not about *understanding* that it may vary.

I just want to know for sure what is the range driving at 75mph in highway with AC and four adults in.

Assume it's a mountain road and cold and heat or whatever makes it worse.

The minimum range at such should be reasonable.

I never in my gas truck had to figure out if the AC level is going to hurt my range. It's about what's comfortable for me.

I never had to worry about elevation changes.

I get 250 miles easily. That's the point. Could I get more? Sure, maybe. But the low range of 250 works.
That would be awesome if they actually calculated the EPA range out like that. Unfortunately it's not really an average. Very very few eevee's get better than what their EPA estimated range is. And Tesla's never do. When Tesla says 3:40 that is absolute best case scenario driving 50 miles an hour with no wind on a nice day that's comfortable with maybe 1° difference in climate settings versus the exterior. It's unfortunately the way it's always been with Tesla. You're never going to get more than 340 I can guarantee you that. Unless it's all downhill lol. And again 3:40 is with a full charge which you can do and from what I understand it is actually good for the battery to do it occasionally, but on a daily drive you're not going to have 340 available it's going to be like 270. I have in my experience traveled in cross-country trips in model y's in warm climates where we are using Max AC and range was extremely close to the estimated range but driving at a slower pace. I'm driving the EV as soon as you're down in the '60s 65 mph range you're going to get a lot closer to that range estimate. If you're trying to drive 75 mph you're never going to make it or not even close in your range which is what I'm guessing these YouTubers are doing they're traveling at 75 85 90 mph which is exponentially higher drag than 60 miles an hour 65 mph. It's a trade-off do you want to sit at a supercharger and have to charge for 50 minutes or just drive 10 miles an hour slower.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
I think that you are not being genuine yourself. Traffic is clearly at or above the posted speed limit most of the time outside of rush hour. When was the last time you were in Dallas or Houston.
loved in HOUSTON for 6 years, and traffic in the far right lane is (A) rarely above 65mph, or (B) rarely unsafe at 65mph.

the second to rightmost lane is much the same, but absent the headache of people merging in.

regardless, you’re describing city conditions.

I though this was a conversation about long-haul driving where range limitations are relevant?

As to my point, you think driving 20 mph below the posted speed limit is safe?
asked and answered

your “20mph below the speed limit” is referencing only a 41mi strip of 130 between Austin and San Antonio.

which 41mi strip is:

(A) optional, take I35 if you want to do 30mph average (or several other alternative)

or

(B) if that 41mi strip is part of your >125mi journey (for which youmre having range anxiety at all and paying attention to your speed limit), then knock yourself out to do 85 and work it into your trip planning - same way I’ve done when using 130 to get from Austin to Port Aransas and back

or

(C) rest easy that you’re talking about a corridor wherein you have PLENTY of charging infrastructure before/after to expend your battery as you see fit

Tesla Cybertruck Range for AWD Cybertruck 200-250 miles after many real world tests 23DA5AC0-365A-4C7F-97D7-FBDF029A2051
Tesla Cybertruck Range for AWD Cybertruck 200-250 miles after many real world tests FD8217BC-3C22-4313-AB7D-99C93718CFA2

Because again, to level-set, and keep this to a rational discussion:

we’re talking about one view of how someone should approach long distance travel in a BEV truck that will have exponentially worse range at increased speeds: target 60-65mph average speeds, not 75-80mph average speeds

it’s a bit of a silly strawman to suggest that this means pegging at 65mph along every second of the trip, regardless of conditions

and the reality is, along any long distance trip, you’ll find yourself in one of several driving conditions buckets:

(A) because of traffic, be unable to reach even 60mph (which lower speed periods will factor into your trip’s average speed goal - ie for every mile you’re forced to do 45, you earn a mile to do 75)

(B) even where the leftmost *fast* lane may be traveling at the max speed, the rightmost *slow* lane isn’t (because there are Semis, large trucks towing large RVs, etc.), and there is zero risk to just relaxing into the rightmost *slow* lane

(C) choose to yourself be one of the vehicles traveling at 60-65 in the slow lane - there is absolutely zero risk-adjusted harm to this, even if occasional assh*les are exceeding the speed limit

and lastly, and most rarely:

(D) you alone would be driving the slowest on the entire road for extended periods of time (eg before bumping into an RV or semi, etc.), to a degree that it might raise any reasonable risk-adjusted chance of it being remotely “dangerous” - in which rare cases, you do what you feel is safe for that period of time, and mitigate your average speed elsewhere (eg the 20mi through Austin where you were forced to average 30mph)

All in all, I’m personally satisfied that this notion that one must do at or above the speed limit in all conditions to “be safe” is an absurd sort of self-excuse for folks who - if they were honest with themselves - would notice that THEY are switching lanes to pass LOTS of people going below the speed limit

That lane switching itself being statistically the far more dangerous behavior.

Get in the slow lane. Set AP to 60-65mph. Find your zen. Unlearn your decades of playing highway frogged, all in order to be there a collective [10] minutes earlier.

That is, in those rare(ish) situations that your long-distance trip in a BEV truck presents you with a charging landscape wherein you have to plan your driving style accordingly.

FRSandro

First Name
Alessandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That would be awesome if they actually calculated the EPA range out like that. Unfortunately it's not really an average. Very very few eevee's get better than what their EPA estimated range is. And Tesla's never do. When Tesla says 3:40 that is absolute best case scenario driving 50 miles an hour with no wind on a nice day that's comfortable with maybe 1° difference in climate settings versus the exterior. It's unfortunately the way it's always been with Tesla. You're never going to get more than 340 I can guarantee you that. Unless it's all downhill lol. And again 3:40 is with a full charge which you can do and from what I understand it is actually good for the battery to do it occasionally, but on a daily drive you're not going to have 340 available it's going to be like 270. I have in my experience traveled in cross-country trips in model y's in warm climates where we are using Max AC and range was extremely close to the estimated range but driving at a slower pace. I'm driving the EV as soon as you're down in the '60s 65 mph range you're going to get a lot closer to that range estimate. If you're trying to drive 75 mph you're never going to make it or not even close in your range which is what I'm guessing these YouTubers are doing they're traveling at 75 85 90 mph which is exponentially higher drag than 60 miles an hour 65 mph. It's a trade-off do you want to sit at a supercharger and have to charge for 50 minutes or just drive 10 miles an hour slower.
Thanks, that helps to clarify things for me.

Coltpete

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Country flag

I couldn't agree more. I don't get the negative comments in response to your posts. We were promised a truck with a 500 mile range. Asking for 250 miles at regular 70mph highway speeds is completely reasonable.

cyberboi

First Name
jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
turbo
Country flag
All three of these YouTubers are on cross-country trips with brand new high performance electric trucks. Some of which have never driven a Tesla. They are all in a hurry together where they're going. The speed limit in this part of the country is 75 miles an hour plus, and it's winter so they're all using heat. The cybertruck at 80% charge is probably around a 270 mile range. Couple that with the off-road tires which comes on the foundation edition for some reason, the fact that they're all probably hot riding quite a bit, and using the heater, and driving in mountains and you're not going to have great range. It's as simple as that lol. Also if anybody who's buying an EV to tow over 200 mi you're not smart no offense they're just not capable of doing it.

I’m normally doing 85-90. 75 is the slow lane. CT doesn’t seem to be for me. Oh well.

Darth abbott

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Thanks, that helps to clarify things for me.
The Range is there You're just always going to have to work to get it. Meaning you're just going to have to drive with the right mindset to do it. If you live in a really cool climate like myself in Minnesota you're sometimes not going to be able to get that range. When it's 20 below I'm expected to cut it at least in half. I saw a YouTube video the other day where they described people as buying Tesla's to own a Tesla over buying Tesla to own an electric vehicle, and I couldn't agree more. I'm not buying a cybertruck because I want to be green. All electric vehicles have a super high carbon footprint that takes like 8 years to wipe out before you're actually contributing to being green. But Tesla's themselves the technology and I'm especially the cybertruck are amazing. Love the one pedal driving Love the phone unlock like there are so many other bonuses to it that I think outweigh the negativities of losing your range in cold weather or because you're driving too fast. But trailering is just nonsensical if you're trying to trailer long distances with it. If you're trying to trailer within 50 miles of your house electric vehicles are absolutely awesome at it they take off from line and they gain a lot back from regenerative braking but it's just not there for long distance.

rudedawg78

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired USAF, Emergency Manager
Country flag
I am one of those guys bouncing between getting the range extender or not. 1/3rd of the bed is a lot to lose for hauling, plus the extra weight the RE adds.

I think what I am going to do is purchase the CT without the RE and if range becomes an issue, in regard to my driving habits, then I will add the RE later.

I am 'hopeful' that I will not need the RE, but who knows...

Darth abbott

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
I’m normally doing 85-90. 75 is the slow lane. CT doesn’t seem to be for me. Oh well.
Yeah I definitely learned over the years driving Tesla's to adjust my driving style. I think that's where autopilot really comes in to being handy because I find it easier to drive at a slower speed while I have it set. It doesn't bother me that people are passing me as much as like when I'm in my gas truck. I find it very hard to drive reasonable in my gas truck and usually end up being one of the faster people on the road. But put me in an EV and I have really no problem driving long slow in the right lane, because I know I'm driving efficiently and I can get there and the numbers I'm seeing are correct.

My first long distance trip was in a 2019 model 3 rear wheel drive. One of the lowest range Tesla's. My brother and I were traveling to a client's house about 150 mi away it was in the fall so it was cold and we were using heat we started off really early in the morning so there was no traffic and the speed limit on the highway is 70 so we were cruising along it naturally 80 and you could just watch the range drop off. We stopped and supercharged for maybe 30 minutes on the way up to make sure we had enough range to get there. When we got up there we supercharged again while we had lunch and had no problem making it all the way back because we drove 65 on the way back.

That was a 2019 and the batteries have come so far in that time. And the cyber truck has the most advanced batteries Tesla has right now. There's just too many variables to know with not enough information how efficient they are just yet. And for some reason Tesla decided to put the off-road tires on the foundation series I guess because they're more expensive but they're definitely not the most efficient tire for driving 75 to 85 mph

Darth abbott

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
I am one of those guys bouncing between getting the range extender or not. 1/3rd of the bed is a lot to lose for hauling, plus the extra weight the RE adds.

I think what I am going to do is purchase the CT without the RE and if range becomes an issue, in regard to my driving habits, then I will add the RE later.

I am 'hopeful' that I will not need the RE, but who knows...
I know Tesla said that the range extender needs to be installed by them, until we actually see one and see how much effort it takes to put it in I'm definitely considering purchasing one and then renting it out locally. It's one of those things that yeah I don't think most of us are going to need it or want it all the time but it would be nice to be able to pop one in from time to time. And splitting the cost between other cyber truck owners seems to be a valid way to get them.

lowtek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Plaid
Occupation
I do things.
Country flag
I couldn't agree more. I don't get the negative comments in response to your posts. We were promised a truck with a 500 mile range. Asking for 250 miles at regular 70mph highway speeds is completely reasonable.
No you weren't, it said plainly during the reservation process that "price and features may change". The only thing promised is that you would reserve an opportunity to buy whatever the production version of the truck ended up being.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
Very very few eevee's get better than what their EPA estimated range is. And Tesla's never do. When Tesla says 3:40 that is absolute best case scenario driving 50 miles an hour with no wind on a nice day that's comfortable with maybe 1° difference in climate settings versus the exterior. It's unfortunately the way it's always been with Tesla. You're never going to get more than 340 I can guarantee you that. Unless it's all downhill lol.
That's false. Both my wife's Long Range Model 3 and my Performance Model 3 have lifetime consumption averages better than the EPA combined rating. And I floor the thing almost every opportunity I get. This is after nearly 6 years of driving through all kinds of weather and over 120,000 combined miles. These cars are our daily drivers and are parked in an open carport all winter/summer. Both cars have the Aero wheels and low rolling resistance all-seasons about 8-9 months per year and Pirelli Winter tires during the winter..

Where have you been? Under ideal conditions the 310 mile rated 2018 Model 3 has demonstrated an ability to be hypermiled over 600 miles by at least two different parties, one on a racetrack and one in the real world. I also have a 2018 Model 3 Long Range RWD with 72,000 miles on it and it still has 305 miles of battery range (degaded from 310 miles almost 6 years ago). But it will drive farther than it's combined EPA range rating at 60-65 mph.

The Model 3 is Tesla's most efficient vehicle due to it's superior aerodynamics and is, IMO, Tesla's most under-rated model and best value, even if the Model Y outsells it 2 to 1. That's why we have three of them. They are a superior tool for long, fast road trips and the perfect complement to the Cybertruck.

I guarantee I will be able to exceed the EPA range of the Cybertruck too. Because the EPA drive cycles have a lot of speed changes built into them, even on the highway drive cycles. By driving at a steady speed, in average weather and road conditions, you can exceed the EPA ranges of any Tesla.
Sponsored