Real range on Lightning better than CT dual motor!?

Red61224

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yugo
Country flag
What's the "Plan B" for those of you who only carry one spare tire when you have two non-reparable flats?

To put this in perspective, it's important to realize that any vehicle, ICE or EV, can become disabled by plenty of things other than a flat tire or two. The chances of it being a tire that can't be plugged when using a reasonable amount of care with regard to maintaining air pressure, avoiding road hazards, and purchasing good quality tires suitable for the application are very remote compared to other potential failures that could leave you stranded. There was a day when tire failures were, by far, the most common way for a vehicle to become disabled but those days are long gone. Yet, it is still necessary to have a plan to ensure you and any companions can survive a disabling event. having a spare tire doesn't solve this problem in the most likely ways that a vehicle can become disabled.
Having been the recipient of several "inconvenient" flat tire awards over my lifetime from sidewall cuts from rocks, cactus punctures, numerous bolts, and screws too close to the sidewall to patch, even a set of car keys, yep, too close to the sidewall and the hole they left was just too big to patch anyway and yes it was funny for a bit when I looked down and saw what the culprit was. Few have arrived when I had nothing else to do that day, one even showed up near the Mogollon Rim in Arizona while hunting bear with relatives, and boy I sure was glad I had a spare stashed away ( not by accident). And where we were at a dirt road looked like the interstate to us by comparison. A couple have been just after midnight on the interstate a long way for anywhere, again that darn spare got me home. I guess it's just that I have been saved many a time by that spare that I have grown to appreciate it being there and not taking it for granted. Kind of like having a parachute that you never hope to use in an experimental aircraft or having my CCL and equipment on my person when some fool attempted to do me and my family harm, (been there and I was the one that lived to tell the story). Kind of grown accustomed to having "a backup plan" in a lot of areas of my life. My travels are not limited to 9-5 Monday thru Friday nor strictly on asphalt on bright shiny days with unicorns dancing in the meadows.
Sponsored

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
Having been the recipient of several "inconvenient" flat tire awards over my lifetime from sidewall cuts from rocks, cactus punctures, numerous bolts, and screws too close to the sidewall to patch, even a set of car keys, yep, too close to the sidewall and the hole they left was just too big to patch anyway and yes it was funny for a bit when I looked down and saw what the culprit was. Few have arrived when I had nothing else to do that day, one even showed up near the Mogollon Rim in Arizona while hunting bear with relatives, and boy I sure was glad I had a spare stashed away ( not by accident). And where we were at a dirt road looked like the interstate to us by comparison. A couple have been just after midnight on the interstate a long way for anywhere, again that darn spare got me home. I guess it's just that I have been saved many a time by that spare that I have grown to appreciate it being there and not taking it for granted. Kind of like having a parachute that you never hope to use in an experimental aircraft or having my CCL and equipment on my person when some fool attempted to do me and my family harm, (been there and I was the one that lived to tell the story). Kind of grown accustomed to having "a backup plan" in a lot of areas of my life. My travels are not limited to 9-5 Monday thru Friday nor strictly on asphalt on bright shiny days with unicorns dancing in the meadows.
Some people do attract flat tires into their lives. I prefer to avoid them, at least the kind that leave the vehicle disabled, and I have been very successful in the last 30 years. I use a combination of appropriate air pressures (higher is generally better for avoiding flats), quality equipment (too many people choose tires for the wrong reasons, cost is number one but looks is a close second) and good driver skills and awareness, particularly when I'm miles from help and out of cell range. I drive with full awareness of what my tires can and cannot handle. Yes, looking where you are going and running appropriate pressures is a big part of avoiding flats. Finally, the plug kit (and knowing how to effectively use it). This works on almost all tread punctures and even some sidewall punctures in an emergency. But you have to know how to use it effectively.

Following common sense guidelines it's actually very unusual to get a flat that can't be repaired with a plug kit. The 'sticky worms' are the most versatile for tricky punctures. And, yes, I have done far more exploring off the beaten path than your average motorist.

Galactus55

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightng Lariat ER, 2014 Chevy Volt
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I would like to know if you can get the tri-motor batteries with dual motors configuration? So the range would go up to 600+ miles.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Well, you don't run over scrap steel by not overrunning your ability to see the road in front of you - this should be part of basic safety.

You don't run your tires against the body by making sure the travel of your shocks clears the wheel well - this should be part of basic design.

So yes, those are two things that shouldn't happen in normal operation of a vehicle unless the operator is less careful and modified their vehicle out of spec.

-Crissa

Last edited:

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
I may only be 58 years old but I've tried to squeeze as much adventure into my life as possible. Road trips through Mexico, off-roading in Mexico, Washington and Montana, ski trips with road trips to Whistler, the Canadian Rockies, Utah, etc. etc. etc. I've also done a bunch of motorcycle trips of 3,500-6,000 miles in the US and Canada which bring about more punctures than I've ever experienced in cars because the kind of tires I use are sport-touring tires with a soft, gummy rubber when they heat up that attracts sharp objects like crazy. Of course we never carry a spare which is why I've had so much experience with gummy worm style plugs and portable compressors to get back on the road. I've also used them on 3 or 4 car tires and have never had a flat that wasn't repairable. I have plugged difficult punctures above the tread that I didn't trust enough to not replace the tire when I got back to civilization but the plug did it's job. I know it's possible to get an unrepairable sidewall gash that is unavoidable but I don't lose any sleep over it. Because they are extremely rare with good tires and good awareness. That's not to say I drive gently! I'm actually a serial speeder and especially like driving challenging remote roads at irresponsible speeds.

Thanks for calling me youthful, that made my day! How old are you?
Sponsored