Kirsten
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CRV
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Please put a spare in the Cybertruck. If you only knew how I went through tires...and can we upgrade to a higher ply so we don’t get so many flats when we are driving on gravel roads to our favorite weekend destinations? That would be a great upgrade! The residential ply is not going to cut it out there...

Bud

First Name
Ramon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma, Honda Ridgeline
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Oh but Crissa, wouldn’t the world be so boring if everyone had the same stuff? Lightning provides options, CT has options, Hummer…we the consumer need these options in order to get what WE want? Understanding that you’re gonna pay for what you want, nothing is free. As stated in a previous post; I want what I put a reservation down on, no down sizing just dual motor with FSD. Please…?
I agree Pappy! No financial surprises I knew what I was signing up for in the beginning and satisfied with that. Now if you want to add options at no additional cost I'm in.

Keeney

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Country flag
Hopefully this does not cut into the interior width of the bed. That is not a tradeoff I would make.
With the straight sides, the bed needs to stay as wide as possible.

As an existing truck owner with a truck with an even longer wheelbase, I already know how to park a truck and back trailers. Don't need this gimmick.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
As I mentioned previously the cost of doing rear steering might not be as high as some think. The rear suspension already has independent suspension, already has a driveshaft with CV joints (that can bend both ways), its only really adding a steering knuckle and an electric steering rack, if we have steer by wire.

The other thing I mentioned was that the rear suspension pretty much has to be a inboard type, with a horizontal spring assembly and rocker lever similar to this photo below. This is because there is no room in the rear wheel fender to have an upright spring next to the wheel, this would stick out into the bed otherwise.

Tesla Cybertruck Rear Wheel Steering 1625323829152

If they're building this from scratch, which they have to, to incorporate the castings and EV drivetrain etc, then it stands to reason that adding rear steering is not that much extra at all. I'm even thinking they might do the front the same and by doing so reduce the amount of parts required overall. Would make sense, and would lower assembly line costs (only need one for front and rear assembly).

Maybe it should be "best part, if you need one, is the same part"?

Last edited:

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
I Agrre , with all those changes I hope the price stay as advertised in October 2019
If Fed incentives kick in, there is a small chance it would not go up. If it does not pass it still may.

As dumb as frunk sounds, etruck sounds worse to me.
Definitely not as good as Watts To Freedom

Last edited:
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius, Cybertruck TriMotor AWD Full Self-drive reservation
Occupation
Pharmacist
Country flag
Rear wheel steering could have been on the last iteration design at time of the announcement that “final design is complete” and Mr. Musk has been saving it to tease us reservation holders. In a high-stakes poker game such as this, one would be foolish to reveal their entire hand before the betting is finished. From what I’ve seen on Sandy Monroe Live of the Mach-E battery cooling monstrosity of hoses (multiple failure points just waiting for dealership maintenance- $$$$) and Rivian’s smaller everything, except CyberTruck sized price, I’m even more certain my tri-motor FSD reservation was the right decision. Elon just keeps reinforcing that decision with every CyberTruck tweet.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
@Diehard
Solar 2D works with one pair of actuators that also lifts the assembly off the rear, doing most of the tilt, then air suspension doing the other direction. Steering can do the rest in solar summon mode.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
@Diehard
Solar 2D works with one pair of actuators that also lifts the assembly off the rear, doing most of the tilt, then air suspension doing the other direction. Steering can do the rest in solar summon mode.
Is moving the 6000 Ib truck worth the difference in energy stored?

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
If Fed incentives kick in, there is a small chance it would go up. If it does not pass it still may.
Theres a good chance Tesla is confident the incentives will pass, and because of that can now add features at no cost to the customer?

I'm pretty sure they had this designed earlier, maybe as and option, and are only releasing it now. In fact the tweet actually sounds rehearsed somehow, with the friday design studio thing.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
As I mentioned previously the cost of doing rear steering might not be as high as some think. The rear suspension already has independent suspension, already has a driveshaft with CV joints (that can bend both ways), its only really adding a steering knuckle and an electric steering rack, if we have steer by wire.

The other thing I mentioned was that the rear suspension pretty much has to be a inboard type, with a horizontal spring assembly and rocker lever similar to this photo below. This is because there is no room in the rear wheel fender to have an upright spring next to the wheel, this would stick out into the bed otherwise.

1625323829152.png

If they're building this from scratch, which they have to, to incorporate the castings and EV drivetrain etc, then it stands to reason that adding rear steering is not that much extra at all. I'm even thinking they might do the front the same and by doing so reduce the amount of parts required overall. Would make sense, and would lower assembly line costs (only need one for front and rear assembly).

Maybe it should be "best part, if you need one, is the same part"?

Yup, most ICE trucks do not have independent rear suspension so going to rear steering has a more significant cost impact.

Since Cybertruck is one of the few full-size trucks with independent rear suspension the change to rear wheel steer is much smaller.

Agree if they can use parts from front suspension this could actually be a cost saving due to cost reduction from economy of scale.

MrTofuDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
Country flag
Ha, I was honestly coincidentally just thinking about this issue the other day... and now they are fixing it with rear wheel steering.

I was thinking about how I'd have to pull out much further in a Cybertruck to make a turn than a "normal" car due to the extra long wheelbase. I think Elon and team are adding rear wheel turning to address how the rear tire keeps clipping curbs/cones/etc during usage. I'm definitely excited about a feature that was previously not revealed and can't wait for more!

Some clips showing the issue that would be resolved with rear wheel steering:

Elon driving Cybertruck in Malibu to go to a restaurant clips a cone/pylon when turning left out onto street:

Cybtertruck pulling out of garage in NYC... watch the rear passenger side tire hop the curb slightly despite the driver pulling out a fair amount past the driveway exit:

And here's a generic article on Pros/Cons of Rear Wheel Steering:
https://www.mastermechanic.ca/blog/master-mechanic-the-pros-and-cons-of-all-wheel-steering/
Sponsored