JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Is moving the 6000 Ib truck worth the difference in energy stored?
Works out to be a few Wh for tracking for a few extra kWh of power from solar. 2 axis tracking can add up to 25% energy, electric actuators only move every few minutes, and use a fraction of a Wh each time. Suspension will be similar. Driving with summons also not bad, but only needed if you didn't/couldn't park properly over a long stay at a car park. Solar summon will probably require user interaction for safety. Will be better with rear steering.
Sponsored

Jacob

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
69 BB Vette, 83 Cutlass
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
I wonder if the quad steering will be an option, or perhaps only available in the dual/single motor versions. Perhaps the tri-motor version will have too much torque or the two motors in back won't allow enough room for quad steering. I hope this is not the case. I want to see a tri-motor, quad steering Cybertruck! That's what I'm going to get if possible! I hope it's not a sacrifice to have one or the other.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
How do we know they didn't add it to the design last year?

-Crissa
We don't, but that was my initial thought when I heard the news. The whole thing opens up everything for discussion. It really is very 'Elon like' to do this kind of thing so none of us should be too surprised. For rear-wheel steering can they use the same casting and parts as on the front if they get steer-by-wire? Could this actually reduce complexity and cost for the CT?

Dirt Worker

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair Corsa, Mini Cooper, T880 Kenworth, CT
Occupation
Excavation Company
Country flag
One of the key advantages of EV is the simplicity of fewer moving parts. Moving parts require maintenance. Moving parts fail. While dual axle steering is a nice convenience, I have my concerns. If a six axle dump truck can maneuver through city traffic, I don't think a pu with less than half the footprint really will use the dual steering feature enough to pay for the investment. I understand that the CT is an ideal platform for it but I don't picture myself showing off doing pinwheels during a "hold my beer" moment. Tires are expensive. I will concede that parking in a tight spot would be really cool.

Nipomo

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 GMC Going for Tri-Motor
Occupation
Retired Financial Manager
Country flag
That will cause a weight increase. Hopefully not slow down production

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Its primarily so Elon can make the corner without hitting the curb or taking out a cone. :cool:

The CT wheelbase along with the space the 35" tyres need to get a decent steering angle, means they actually need quadsteer. Much better.

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
I wonder if the quad steering will be an option, or perhaps only available in the dual/single motor versions. Perhaps the tri-motor version will have too much torque or the two motors in back won't allow enough room for quad steering. I hope this is not the case. I want to see a tri-motor, quad steering Cybertruck! That's what I'm going to get if possible! I hope it's not a sacrifice to have one or the other.
In a weird way I'm wondering if this means the dual motor will be produced first since a steerable motor assembly is something they've already built, but a steerable dual motor assembly will be totally new.

I promise this optimistic take has nothing to do with me having a dual motor reservation.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Could the CT do a "TANK TURN" if the front wheels turn all the way LEFT while the rear wheels turn all the way RIGHT. Perhaps a software selection will allow that maneuver.
I think the reason Elon added the rear steering is so it could compete heads up with the Hummer Crab Walk and Rivian Tank Turn.
saw this in the tweet responses to Elon

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
My prediction? Rear wheel steering will come standard on the Tri Motor and be optional on the Dual Motor. Single Motor buyers will be out of luck as Tesla marketing folks won’t make it available to buyers to hopefully move them up to a DM or TM version.
Why would Tesla make two rear end megacastings to support turning or not? If the rear is turn by wire, then it wouldn't be so expensive.

-Crissa

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
4 wheel steering would continually be used in urban driving for high maneuvering. I am not jumping to crab walk ability, may have.

prediction is the former would be standard as it will take a good sized vehicle and make it maneuverable for the masses. A lot of bragging rights there.

Crab walk, great for parking but, we will have auto parking ability too if any drivers are nervous. Past experience with auto parking in non-Tesla vehicles, too slow.
Sponsored

Last edited: