Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Wait, so are you saying that without all-wheel steering I need to be a competent driver to own a CT? Seems like a very high bar. And I'm not sure how one would police that.
Sponsored

Ryan95738

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck
Occupation
CNA
Country flag
I think we all should get what we saw and what we put our reservation in for, no downsizing and no extra money for options that we don’t need. Dual motor with FSD and nothing more for me, please. $49.9k plus $7k.
I want 100% agree. But I really wouldn't mind spending 8 or 9,000 more dollars because of how amazing it is. It also makes a lot of financial sense for them to raise the price $10,000 or more that way they can make as many as people want and then later down the line saying three to six years lower the price down to $45,000 after taxes

Ryan95738

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck
Occupation
CNA
Country flag
Also since Tesla manufacturing is much more vertical integrated than other OEMs, Tesla might be doing the rear wheel steering components in-house. The save cost by eliminating the supplier profit.
What if by some o dd anomaly it was rear wheel steering only. And no front wheel steering wouldn't that be crazy

Ryan95738

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck
Occupation
CNA
Country flag
I'm so happy to hear this news! Poor maneuverability is the one thing about CT that I was not pleased about. Four wheel steering could go a long way toward eliminating that drawback.
Imagine a tank turn on a Cybertron plaid with four wheel steering you could literally do all kinds of crazy stuff in sand or gravel

Ryan95738

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck
Occupation
CNA
Country flag
There's options like, 'what color' and then there's the Ford or GM options matrix where if you get a you might get b or c but then have to go back and get z and x...

-Crissa
I am so so glad at the Tesla has never done matrix is like that or make you choose your motors like these other darn companies do, I mean Ford knows what motor is the best and what one is most efficient but they just won't tell you they make you buy some crap sometimes. I'm so glad that Tesla keeps it extremely simple and actually takes away options often times through just include them or get rid of them because they are very useful

Ryan95738

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck
Occupation
CNA
Country flag
The vehicle my Tri-motor Cybertruck will replace is a 2005 GMC Yukon XL with Quadrasteer. Her license plate is QUADDIE. Unfortunately, GMC abandoned Quadrasteer and quit making replacement parts by 2010 so most QS vehicles now only operate with two wheel steering or are no longer driven. Thanks GMC. After driving Suburbans for years, I had to adjust my parking technique in Quaddie because I would wind up crooked in the parking slot the opposite way because the turning radius was so short. So, four wheel steering is the main feature I knew I would miss on the CT and now Elon has, once again, read my mind and provided it. I don't know if Tesla's four wheel steering will perform like Quadrasteer, but for those unfamiliar with it, the front and rear wheels turn in opposite directions for tighter turns at speeds up to 45 mph. After 45 mph the wheels turn in the same direction so making lane changes at freeway speeds is much smoother with virtually no longitudinal instability or "whip" which is created by two wheel steering. This is especially useful, comfortable, and safer when towing a trailer since the tow vehicle "crabs" across lane lines rather than changing turn radius to make the maneuver. I flew to Colorado to buy Quaddie just for the Quadrasteer and I will probably fly to Texas to pick up my Cybertruck. Life is good.
It is really really good to hear from someone who has used this feature and understands how it's actually essential just most of us get by without it. Thanks so much I hope that it is awesome as you say and more.

Cyber30X

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, Porsche 928S4
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
I posted a few requests for 4-wheel steering. I recently sold my Chevy Suburban 2500 with Quadrasteer. It’s the reason I drove it for 260,000 miles. I sold it to make room for Cybertruck. I really believe 4-wheel steering is amazing. It is the only feature I wanted added to Cybertruck. This is hugely good news.

Halemarine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.halemarine.com
Vehicles
Model Y, Ford F150, Chevrolet Equinox
Country flag
How
As with all other Tesla models they can change pricing on a whim.
That being said I would expect reservation holders would see their prices firm except for options.
Future buyers could see increased pricing.
You are correct!

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
4 wheel steering is a Ford killer. Btw. My wife just asked what I was doing. I said blogging about CT. She said is it still ugly? I had to laugh. After all this infatuation she still might be surprised when it shows up in the driveway. :)

Ryan95738

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck
Occupation
CNA
Country flag
Rear wheel steering could have been on the last iteration design at time of the announcement that “final design is complete” and Mr. Musk has been saving it to tease us reservation holders. In a high-stakes poker game such as this, one would be foolish to reveal their entire hand before the betting is finished. From what I’ve seen on Sandy Monroe Live of the Mach-E battery cooling monstrosity of hoses (multiple failure points just waiting for dealership maintenance- $$$$) and Rivian’s smaller everything, except CyberTruck sized price, I’m even more certain my tri-motor FSD reservation was the right decision. Elon just keeps reinforcing that decision with every CyberTruck tweet.
@Diehard
Solar 2D works with one pair of actuators that also lifts the assembly off the rear, doing most of the tilt, then air suspension doing the other direction. Steering can do the rest in solar summon mode.
One of the key advantages of EV is the simplicity of fewer moving parts. Moving parts require maintenance. Moving parts fail. While dual axle steering is a nice convenience, I have my concerns. If a six axle dump truck can maneuver through city traffic, I don't think a pu with less than half the footprint really will use the dual steering feature enough to pay for the investment. I understand that the CT is an ideal platform for it but I don't picture myself showing off doing pinwheels during a "hold my beer" moment. Tires are expensive. I will concede that parking in a tight spot would be really cool.
This is actually extremely well said thank you so much.
saw this in the tweet responses to Elon

Pick D!

But most of us who ordered had no idea how to drive a truck lol I barely even do and I ordered two.

empiredown

Banned
Banned
First Name
Stacy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Carrera T, 20 MY LR AWD, 21 F-150
Occupation
Retired and Loving It...
Country flag
As has been said, this option (if it isn't standard) doesn't have to cost a lot, if anything at all given the way they had already designed the rear end. I have rear axle steering on my sports car and it was a 2K option from a company notorious for nickel/diming. If it is isn't standard, I will opt for it. It is absolutely worth it to me for the low and higher speed ease and physics-defying properties that it provides. I don't need the crab walk or tank turn gimmicks, I just need the increased capabilities for the driving I am going to do in this thing 99% of the time...

cypergerald

First Name
gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge Mercedes
Occupation
self employed
Country flag
Full on warthog! I wonder how that affects space that would’ve been used for batteries. Must be dense
Elon just confirmed the Cybertruck will be almost exactly what was shown. They are adding rear wheel steering, so it can do tight turns and maneuver with high agility.
He added; "lots of other great things coming".

I'm disappointed, Elon you promised us in Q2 to show all the new features on ct. ??? Rear wheel steering, great, I'm sure at will raise the price. ?

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
It better not cost more x-x

-Crissa
If the CT stays the same price you better swoop one up as fast as possible. With how much the world economy has changed over the last couple years I can’t imagine how they can keep the price points advertised for long unless they discover some major manufacturing efficiencies with this unique design.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
As has been said, this option (if it isn't standard) doesn't have to cost a lot, if anything at all given the way they had already designed the rear end. I have rear axle steering on my sports car and it was a 2K option from a company notorious for nickel/diming. If it is isn't standard, I will opt for it. It is absolutely worth it to me for the low and higher speed ease and physics-defying properties that it provides. I don't need the crab walk or tank turn gimmicks, I just need the increased capabilities for the driving I am going to do in this thing 99% of the time...
I would agree that I don't need the gimmicks. I enjoyed seeing the Rivian tank turn but didn't see it as so useful in normal situations.

When Elon made the comment about 4-wheel steering, I looked through the responses and found this:

Seeing option D in the tweet, really got me thinking. The idea of a spin turn could be really helpful in situations where you come to a dead end. Or out in offroad situations where things get tight. Or in a variety of movie scenarios that I won't be doing personally. Not sure that option D would truly be possible with CT. Seems like the tires would need to have a really sharp turn ability. But if that were a feature of the CT it would truly kick Rivian's ass.
Sponsored