Sonnus

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, 2500HD
Country flag
I think a “king cab” or extended cab Cybertruck could be a popular option. Basically the bed would extend half way into the back half of the cab. This would give you an 8’ bed and a bit of area behind the front seats to store tools and other junk. The wheelbase would remain the same and even the silhouette and body panels could largely remain the same. I remember back in the 90s when extended cab pickups outnumbered crew cabs by very large margins so there may still be a market for them.

Tesla could offer this as only a single or dual motor chassis so that would only be one additional model added to the lineup.
Sponsored

Sonnus

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, 2500HD
Country flag
If Tesla had an extended cab then they could even dedicate the lower half of the extended cab to a Rivian-style utility tunnel since there would no longer be room for rear seats. Or even better for a tradesman, a pull out tool box. Maybe even recess the tunnel on both sides so there’s room for a step to access the front portion of the bed, like a stepside pickup. You would still have plenty of room on the inside of the cab above the utility tunnel for plans, etc.

madquadbiker

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Navara NP300, Honda e, Honda TRX700XX
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yankee ingenuity!

Third party suppliers will readily fill that gap with a flatbed. It will work by spanning across the top of the vault; rest on both sail pillars and carry widths 76” x 144” easily + 36” longer suspended beyond tailgate & red flagged.

Optional electric rams will elevate flatbed to horizontal if there is a desire for that. Ratchet straps are more than adequate to hold cargo on a sailpillar incline precluding all but the most esoteric need for horizontal transport.
I wonder how powerful the motor will be for the vault cover, with a suitable rack system attached to the sails up to the highest point where it meets the roof, and with the vault cover closed, sheet material could be loaded and strapped down and then the vault cover could be opened thereby lifting the sheets up the slope, it must be long enough for an 8ft sheet to fit between the closed tailgate and the roof, I’m lazy and having a motor do the lifting would save my back.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
If Tesla had an extended cab then they could even dedicate the lower half of the extended cab to a Rivian-style utility tunnel since there would no longer be room for rear seats. Or even better for a tradesman, a pull out tool box. Maybe even recess the tunnel on both sides so there’s room for a step to access the front portion of the bed, like a stepside pickup. You would still have plenty of room on the inside of the cab above the utility tunnel for plans, etc.
THAT is a whole new segment of vehicle, marketed to work and Rivian got there first. Its a very valid stake to claim. Logically Tesla and StarLink have CPU, SAT and BIG screen to bring to the truck-as-work office party. NO ONE wants to go back to office cubicle work.

Storage is the sore spot everyone feels that traditional truck design ignores. Canoo rang that bell loud and clear with its workstation surround dash configuration. Hand claps aplenty here and elsewhere were heard.

Lightning’s turndown frunk is interesting. Maintenance people will use that. It is transformer rather than inventive as Canoo design and Rivian modules have iterated +1 steps further.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
I wonder how powerful the motor will be for the vault cover, with a suitable rack system attached to the sails up to the highest point where it meets the roof, and with the vault cover closed, sheet material could be loaded and strapped down and then the vault cover could be opened thereby lifting the sheets up the slope, it must be long enough for an 8ft sheet to fit between the closed tailgate and the roof, I’m lazy and having a motor do the lifting would save my back.
We used electric seat motors to remote control machinery in the 60’s. Heavy applications Cadillac elec/hydraulic seat motors were the choice. Tesla has ample juice aboard, know motors so only the child safety aspect limits the tonneau cover-as-liftgate.

Huntsman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Heavy Equipment Ops
Country flag
I love the Cybertruck! I have a need for an eight foot ...bed.
I would love to read your thoughts on this. What do the rest of you think?
I have driven an p/u for 40 years, all my trucks were 8’ beds with an extended cab, with the exception of one 6 1/2’ bed, which I got rid of promptly as I could not function efficiently. Tail gate down does not work, two loaded pallets will set the weight too far aft of the axle. A regular cab will not work as certain tools go in the back seat. An 18” above the bed rails tool box consumes too much cargo space. I get all that, 8 feet IS REQUIRED and a little extra room behind the seat. I would love it if Tesla offered such a Cybertruck (TCT).
I think... I missed the survey when Detroit asked who wants a 6 1/2’, 5 1/2’, 4’ bed but someone decided this would be the new “Sunday go to meeting” transportation. Befitting this mentality, pickup trucks suddenly had 4 doors, leather, and power everything and the new truck owners spoke with their added options and declared they wanted the bed to always be covered. A bunch of sissy’s if you ask me. This is not a truck, it’s a station wagon, is what I think.
Tesla looked at all this and created the bad ass CT adding true truck owners features like a built in ramp and stainless steel body yet also maintained what the average Joe, Josephine, or Josephite might like.
Whence last I bought a new truck, only two manufacturers offered the 8’ ~ extended cab option and it costs about $4000 more than the basic truck, likely required for the modified frame and modifications we may not realize.
I tried to image what would be changed on the Cybertruck for an 8‘ option and honestly, contributions thru this forum have been quite enlightening. For instance, where does The Vault cover go when it retracts with a half back seat; not on top but what happens in the battery compartment, under the truck? If The Vault retracts to the bottom and defines the limits of the bat-box It might allow for a larger battery pack being 8 feet rather than 6.5 - more range and we all want that. I might pay $4000 more for the 8’ bed and certainly if it included more range. My 8’ bed ICE truck has a 36 gallon gas tank, an option not available with a lesser length bed and it has given me a 1000 mile range. A feature I enjoy but realize I paid for with the extended frame. It all comes down to money, how much are you willing to pay?
While a 6 1/2’ bed was a show stopper for me, I think...the TCT has so many features, I’m willing to accept the fact, my new normal will be a standard, off the floor model truck that I won’t pay $4000 extra to have customized; I won’t get parking tickets anymore for exceeding the longitudinal limits of the parking space, I won’t have to park a block or two away downtown or at the hospital because my 22’ extended cab truck does not negotiate the radius restrictions in the parking deck, and I won’t have to park in the “lower forty” at all the other businesses because I take a wide berth to swing into a single spot. I think.. my ICE truck friends will call me a sissy as I have a frunk and 6 1/2 Vault in my bad ass Cybertruck, but they’ll always want to ride in my truck whenever we go to Home Depot. Fact is they have had the short bed for years and always borrowed my 8‘ truck when they had a volume load. I think... the 4000 dollars I potentially save by going with the standard ”one size fits all” will go toward a covered, dual axle 12’ utility trailer, to be used when 6 1/2 feet won’t “git ur dun”. I think... if 8’ was required and not offered, now might be the time to buy a model S and have an ICE work truck until someone makes an 8’ bed bat mobile.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet or not, but right now Tesla has 4 "Body Styles". Model S, Model X, Model 3, Model Y. The Cybertruck will be body style #5. Each new body style requires a more-or-less independent production line, a thing Tesla is a bit limited on right now.

Tesla is having trouble producing enough vehicles in those 4 styles and they have enough pre-orders for the Cybertruck to keep their yet to be completed Texas factory busy for 3+ years.

If the US subsidies pass, demand for Teslas is only going to increase.

Adding a new style is a thing you do when you have space to breath and spare production capacity. I'd expect Tesla is going to keep their product line fairly simple for quite some time. Don't expect anything other than the most popular form factors for at least the next 5-10 years.

OP
OP
Challeco

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23ModelY,71F250,14Fusion,66Galaxie
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
I have driven an p/u for 40 years, all my trucks were 8’ beds with an extended cab, with the exception of one 6 1/2’ bed, which I got rid of promptly as I could not function efficiently. Tail gate down does not work, two loaded pallets will set the weight too far aft of the axle. A regular cab will not work as certain tools go in the back seat. An 18” above the bed rails tool box consumes too much cargo space. I get all that, 8 feet IS REQUIRED and a little extra room behind the seat. I would love it if Tesla offered such a Cybertruck (TCT).
I think... I missed the survey when Detroit asked who wants a 6 1/2’, 5 1/2’, 4’ bed but someone decided this would be the new “Sunday go to meeting” transportation. Befitting this mentality, pickup trucks suddenly had 4 doors, leather, and power everything and the new truck owners spoke with their added options and declared they wanted the bed to always be covered. A bunch of sissy’s if you ask me. This is not a truck, it’s a station wagon, is what I think.
Tesla looked at all this and created the bad ass CT adding true truck owners features like a built in ramp and stainless steel body yet also maintained what the average Joe, Josephine, or Josephite might like.
Whence last I bought a new truck, only two manufacturers offered the 8’ ~ extended cab option and it costs about $4000 more than the basic truck, likely required for the modified frame and modifications we may not realize.
I tried to image what would be changed on the Cybertruck for an 8‘ option and honestly, contributions thru this forum have been quite enlightening. For instance, where does The Vault cover go when it retracts with a half back seat; not on top but what happens in the battery compartment, under the truck? If The Vault retracts to the bottom and defines the limits of the bat-box It might allow for a larger battery pack being 8 feet rather than 6.5 - more range and we all want that. I might pay $4000 more for the 8’ bed and certainly if it included more range. My 8’ bed ICE truck has a 36 gallon gas tank, an option not available with a lesser length bed and it has given me a 1000 mile range. A feature I enjoy but realize I paid for with the extended frame. It all comes down to money, how much are you willing to pay?
While a 6 1/2’ bed was a show stopper for me, I think...the TCT has so many features, I’m willing to accept the fact, my new normal will be a standard, off the floor model truck that I won’t pay $4000 extra to have customized; I won’t get parking tickets anymore for exceeding the longitudinal limits of the parking space, I won’t have to park a block or two away downtown or at the hospital because my 22’ extended cab truck does not negotiate the radius restrictions in the parking deck, and I won’t have to park in the “lower forty” at all the other businesses because I take a wide berth to swing into a single spot. I think.. my ICE truck friends will call me a sissy as I have a frunk and 6 1/2 Vault in my bad ass Cybertruck, but they’ll always want to ride in my truck whenever we go to Home Depot. Fact is they have had the short bed for years and always borrowed my 8‘ truck when they had a volume load. I think... the 4000 dollars I potentially save by going with the standard ”one size fits all” will go toward a covered, dual axle 12’ utility trailer, to be used when 6 1/2 feet won’t “git ur dun”. I think... if 8’ was required and not offered, now might be the time to buy a model S and have an ICE work truck until someone makes an 8’ bed bat mobile.
Thank you. With many of the other commenters, I questioned my sanity. Not that the last frayed thread has much integrity remaining. I hide my man card when I say I don't like trailers. But, I do think I will be keeping my F250 for myself strictly for the 8' bed and the 12' overhead rack. Plus I have had baby for over 16 years and I've rebuilt her for my purpose and play.
Still, thank you for the validation.

Double Dare Fan

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Kia Soul
Occupation
etsy.com/PlatonicWoodWorks
Country flag
I think a “king cab” or extended cab Cybertruck could be a popular option. Basically the bed would extend half way into the back half of the cab. This would give you an 8’ bed and a bit of area behind the front seats to store tools and other junk. The wheelbase would remain the same and even the silhouette and body panels could largely remain the same.
I have pretty much the same idea.
The wall between the vault and the cab would have the same height as the bottom of the rear window, and a shelf, pretty much like in a sedan. A vertically sliding panel on the wall would be slid up, to keep things stored on said shelf from smacking the back of your head during a panic stop. This design would keep the exterior design the same, except for the rear doors replaced with solid panels. Or the rear doors would be kept, and would serve as a means to access the shelf, back of the cab, and even the front of the vault from the outside.
In this case, there would also a separate door to the vault, so if you haul loose cargo, such as soil, gravel, a redneck swimming pool, etc., it would not spill when you access the other spaces.

Edit: Here's a Sketchup model of my idea.
Tesla Cybertruck Regular cab cybertruck CT8

There is enough space for a 10' vault. Of course, that depends on how accurate the .skp model is. I downloaded it from Sketchup Warehouse, then modded it to get what you see above.

Last edited:

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Over time, it's possible that Tesla might iterate on the Cybertruck and make various versions like extended crew cab, 8 foot bed, etc. The thing is that with only a single version (body style) available for the near future, Tesla had to make a design decision as to what they would prioritize. And what we see in the prototype is what the decision came down to.

That being said, there are already people out and about designing mods or additions to the CT design to enable some special case uses. But what I find really intriguing is that Tesla designed a truck with enough power and capacity to do something very few other trucks can. The Cybertruck can go pretty much anywhere and tow more than most vehicles its size. This enables us to design all manner of towable trailers to use as extensions to the functionality of the Cybertruck. You need an 8 foot bed that can carry heavy loads? Design a heavy duty trailer to be towed. You need to camp out in the back country? Add air shocks and a sizeable battery to a heavy duty camper and pull it almost anywhere out into the wilderness you want to go. You need a work truck? Design a trailer with multiple tool stations with sides of the trailer that fold up to make a roof while the trailer is parked at a work site but that can be locked down to protect the tools from theft. Suddenly you have a mobile shop that can be used on site. Need a light dump truck? Build a trailer that can dump it's load. Run the hydraulics electrically and plug into the CT for power or have its own battery on board.

Basically, the CT is a generalized workhorse that can do many things for many people but is not specialized in any one area. But with its power and strength, you can customize to make it do pretty much anything you want. Just need to be creative. I think that the CT is going to enable whole new ways of getting things done. Sure, some ICE trucks will be capable of using these same trailering solutions. But up till now there have been so many kinds of ICE trucks that people just tend to buy a different model for the exact specialty they want. But the CT will enable a whole new industry of specialized trailers and the market will be very large because of the ICE vehicles that will be able to participate. And the awesome thing about the trailer solution is that if you want to take your sweety downtown for date night, you can just unhook the trailer(s) and be in a beautiful shiny truck for the evening. And if you decide to trade in your truck for a new upgrade, you don't lose all the customizations you have made for the trailer. So you can build a rock-solid trailer that is specialized to your exact specifications. And no matter which truck you end up driving, you don't lose your trailer. As long as you keep driving trucks that are strong and capable enough to take your trailer everywhere you need it to go.

Deleted member 12457

I love the Cybertruck! I just have one nagging issue with it. The CT is not alone in my disdain, many trucks on the road today have the same issue. I have a need for an eight foot long, five foot wide bed. Ever since the CT was revealed I have been asking for a full length bed. But the truck is just too long with a full length bed and a four door cabin. There have been calls for a drop down vault wall between the vault and the cabin. The Tailgate has an end stop built in. These are good ideas. But I have been thinking on this and as Mr. Musk has said "go back to first principles".

I suggest that Tesla should offer a regular cab version of the Cybertruck. This version could keep all of the same aspects of the CT, including the length, the width, the folded, hard, stainless steel body lines and the motor options. But, instead of a second row of seating, the regular cab would have the bed length. Just like the old school trucks that I grew up with, worked with, and relied on.

My question boils down to how many of us really need four to six seats in a work truck? On a daily basis, I drive to work by myself, I go to the lumber store by myself or with one other person, I work on my projects by myself, or maybe if I have the extra cash to hire a helper, one other person. It isn't a stretch to think that a pickup truck and a coupe are similar in their customer base.

I would love to read your thoughts on this. What do the rest of you think?
Read through most of the articles then tried to find a website that breaks down truck usage between pleasure (lots of those in this forum) vs work (contractors, farmers, city/county/state maintenance, and ????). Statista lists truck sales by manufacturer but I haven't found one that breaks down each manufacturer by trim level, which could be used to identify a working vehicle. I've seen contractors use F-250+ with 6 seats probably with the highest trim level Ford offers but most work vehicles I see on the road are base level, one row of seats without anything fancy. They also tend to be over 10 years old needing a lot of TLC.

I personally use my 2013 Tacoma Double-cab, short-bed (only 5-ft (too short) TRD off-road, towing model (smaller than current ones) as my only vehicle doing everything with it. Once in awhile I have people in the back seat but I also use that area for things I don't want to put in my bed. My bed is covered with a Diamondback HD tonneau cover along with a Prinsu cab rack with custom extension so I have almost 10-ft of rack space for carrying wood. I also have a Roofnest rooftop tent that goes on the rack. When I need to haul dirt, rock, gravel, etc., I remove the rack extension and the tonneau cover. I added Firestone airbags to act as main rear end support since Toyota rear leaf springs are worthless.

I probably won't end up getting my CT unless there's a new, higher EV credit since I'm retired but I would like a smaller CT instead of a greyhound bus size that most pickup trucks are trying to match. I like being able to park in regular parking spots without taking up four of them. The CT will do that. I could see myself going with three front seats and a 8-ft bed, which would work with the current size CT. Tesla would need to reconfigure the sun roof to be shorter and make sure there's room for the tonneau cover to roll up properly. I could see using this configuration for camping, giving me at least 8-feet of camper length to stretch out in. A slide in camper would work great with the tailgate holding it in. I'd also come up with sliding bed storage that enables me to put other things on top while being able to get to everything underneath.

Tesla Cybertruck Regular cab cybertruck cybertruck-design-7

OP
OP
Challeco

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23ModelY,71F250,14Fusion,66Galaxie
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
I've seen contractors use F-250+ with 6 seats probably with the highest trim level Ford offers but most work vehicles I see on the road are base level, one row of seats without anything fancy. They also tend to be over 10 years old needing a lot of TLC.

I like being able to park in regular parking spots without taking up four of them. The CT will do that. I could see myself going with three front seats and a 8-ft bed, which would work with the current size CT.

cybertruck-design-7.png

[/QUOTE]
It took me a couple of times reading this to respond.

I am not sure the legacy automakers are interested in the "little guy" any more, given the prices for trucks. I am one who drives a '71 F250 looking like a battle weary tank. However, I am not a contractor or business owner who is able to depreciate a new $80K vehicle and write it off of my tax responsibility. This last point is why there is a market for the hummer, it is designated as a truck despite having embarrassingly little utility (tax write off).
The point that I was trying to make, given the utility and price point of the CT's 3 levels, is that the "little guy"/non business owner can actually afford at least two of the three trim levels. Furthermore, the 8' or 10' bed and three seats would still allow for passengers but would offer a return to the original principle of a pickup, which was material management.

As for the practice of parking, it is just that practice. I have operated trucks from a Subaru Brat to a 5 ton water tanker in the military. Parking the CT will be no more difficult than slipping my F250 into a space at the grocery store or at work. I used my Ford as a daily driver for years when all I had was the family car and my $500 grunt truck that I brought back to life.

My understanding is that you agree with me in concept. I appreciate that. I think that Tesla is unaware and disinterested in my meager opinion. But, I have the pleasure of owning a model 3 for long distance trips with family. I could really use a three seat version with a long vault. As much as I see that I am statistically unique in my opinion on this site, I cannot believe with all I have witnessed working construction and being a homeowner, that I am alone in the preference for a long bed version.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I could really use a three seat version with a long vault. As much as I see that I am statistically unique in my opinion on this site, I cannot believe with all I have witnessed working construction and being a homeowner, that I am alone in the preference for a long bed version.
You are definitely not alone. I just think that the cohort of people with these same needs/desires do not currently override the needs of some other cohorts as defined by Tesla. Given that the CT is a passion project by Elon the most important cohort might just have a membership of 1 (Elon himself).

The problem is that with the current market limiting supply of batteries, there is no reason to build CTs with any format other than the primary one. Over time, once batteries are in essentially limitless supply, and Tesla has produced enough of the current CT design vehicles, it would not surprise me if Tesla were to branch out at make some alternative formats that might just include an 8 foot bed. But at the moment, Tesla is heads down working as hard as they can just to get the current model out. Once this initial boot up stage of corporate development is coming to a close, I'd be on the lookout for some alternative CT formats.

Deleted member 12457

You are definitely not alone. I just think that the cohort of people with these same needs/desires do not currently override the needs of some other cohorts as defined by Tesla. Given that the CT is a passion project by Elon the most important cohort might just have a membership of 1 (Elon himself).

The problem is that with the current market limiting supply of batteries, there is no reason to build CTs with any format other than the primary one. Over time, once batteries are in essentially limitless supply, and Tesla has produced enough of the current CT design vehicles, it would not surprise me if Tesla were to branch out at make some alternative formats that might just include an 8 foot bed. But at the moment, Tesla is heads down working as hard as they can just to get the current model out. Once this initial boot up stage of corporate development is coming to a close, I'd be on the lookout for some alternative CT formats.
All pickups have been built larger over the past 20+ years. This isn't necessarily because people want them larger, it's just a typical p***** contest to say mine is bigger than yours. Boys always want to have the largest and baddest car/truck on the road and Elon is no exception (although I am and would rather have something just large enough to carry the things I need to carry). I'd like to get some money out of my 2013 Tacoma double cab and would rather not wait until I'm ready to be put into the ground before one comes out. I don't care about batteries. A truck the size I would like might require fewer batteries. I don't need to tow a 50-ft home on wheels or a jet plane. Tesla "might" build a smaller truck for the European market where roads are much narrower. Yes, I've driven in Italy and they're tight except on the highways. Elon could build a smaller CT if he wanted to. People would buy a smaller one just like they'll buy the full-size version. Maybe retire the Model X and put resources into the miniCT (not too small, however). The Model Y replaces the X so why have two fo the same basic car?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
So far, if Tesla makes a model, they sell it everywhere they sell cars. It does have to wait until they have export supply, but I see no reason they wouldn't cross-pollinate the EU and China design studio cars. The sales should easily cover the cost of meeting the difference in regulations. Tesla is very good at making sure its sales make a profit. And they don't seem to care if it's a large profit...

-Crissa
Sponsored