johnm6875

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Y & CT
Country flag
I’ve had the Cybertruck All-Wheel-Drive Dual Motor for just over a month now and have put about 800 miles on it. To be super transparent, I’m a huge fan of Tesla, and this is the 3rd Tesla that I’ve owned.

I’m just a regular dude who reserved it the moment they broke the glass on stage during the original announcement. I was lucky enough to be part of the first (non-employee/non-influencer) Foundation Series invites that went out on Dec. 8th. After taking a couple of days to make the decision, I placed an order for the Dual Motor AWD - which is what I originally had reserved. I did have the option at the time to book either the Dual or Tri-Motor and went with Dual primarily for the additional range and lower cost. The delivery estimate at the time was Dec-March for AWD and Jan-March for the Beast.

It took a bit for the VIN to be assigned and I actually discovered it within the app prior to getting an email, call or text about it. Once it was assigned though, I was able to call Tesla to find out exactly where it was and get an ETA around when it would arrive at the Tesla Center.

Delivery:

There have been a ton of delivery videos online. What you need to know is that there is massive variance in the way these are handled, and it seems like each Tesla center does their own thing. It is best to not expect anything other than your name hanging in the window – if you do, it is easy to set yourself up for potential disappointment.

A lot of these trucks are shipped via train/rail and they arrive to the Tesla centers super dirty. It looks like a massive effort so you should not expect perfection as it is possible they will miss some things.

Fit & Finish:

My trucks VIN was over 2000 so many of the super early kinks had already been worked out. It is worth taking a look for scratches, loose headliners, misaligned rubber/glass, and any obvious damage to panels inside and out. As long as you report everything within the app over the first day or so (before 200 miles) the service centers are generally super responsive and willing to help make things right. This truck is new for them too so many are learning as they go.

Drive:

As many have already said, the steering is phenomenal. The way this truck turns and navigates the roadway is super smooth and probably up there with the best that I’ve ever experienced – and I was a huge BMW fan way back. Tesla did something really great with the Cybertruck. For me, the Model Y and S always seemed a little too fast for their frames. Family members (including me) have often felt a little nauseous sitting in the passenger seat. This does not happen in the Cybertruck. This truck was built so well that it feels smooth and solid even with the rocket acceleration - it just sort of glides effortlessly and feels solid the entire time.

Parking:

The cameras are incredibly helpful. I’ve got experience driving an F-150, hauling trailers, boats etc, and the Cybertruck is by far the easiest to maneuver. While it is long, it is easy enough to adapt to the cameras which makes parking in and backing into spots, carports, and garages easy. Yes, it does fit in parking garages and underneath carports. Simply amazing to experience how it can just sneak itself under these structures with plenty of spare room.

Traffic Aware Cruise Control:

As the truck awaits FSD to be enabled, it does come with what is essentially adaptive cruise control. While not perfect, it is way better than nothing and makes highway driving just like most other cars post 2013. It does not handle railroad crossings and other stops very well but as far as highway cruising, it is just fine for now. I’ve been a regular user of Autopilot /FSD Beta and am excited for the day when it comes to the Cybertruck.

Interior Style:

The inside is just like every other Tesla. Super simplistic and very well done. The lighting and design choices made work very well together. The fact that the rear seats fold up just like an F-150 is great – makes it feel like you are not missing out on basic things that other trucks have.

Comfort:

While it is comfortable to drive on short trips, the seats are rock hard compared to other cars and even other Teslas. Great for around town, but not ideal for road trips. The seats feel super stiff and rigid after just a bit. Space wise though, there is plenty of room for people and all the stuff that you would want to move around with you.

The bed/vault:

They knocked the truck bed out of the park. When the gate is down, you’ve got the same if not more room than any other major pickup truck out there. Outlets and the storage underneath are also super convenient and well placed.

The bed cover/ tonneau:

This is easily one of the best features of the Cybertruck. Super cool to see it going up and down and very functional. If you are loading stuff up for the dump, with just a click you can cover the load. Even though it covers the rearview mirror, I always ride with it up and have gotten used to the rear-view camera on the main screen.

I’ve driven through intense rainstorms and for the most part the inside of the bed/vault stays dry. Do not expect the same going through a carwash however. If they are using a hose and spraying water on it while closed, a bit of water will come in through the front and sides though the storage area near the gate stays dry. This is to be expected though anytime you aim water at something that is not sealed.

Tires:

They are just badass. Everyone loves them even without the new caps that are still awaiting delivery. Haven’t seen them in the snow just yet, but great in the rain and on the dry road.

Wiper:

Love it and hate it. I mean, it is one of the coolest things I’ve seen on a car, but it doesn’t work anywhere near as well as regular wipers - especially if you need to clean the window. Works fine though for keeping rain out of your view while driving and is easy enough to turn on with the button on the steering wheel. It is also fun to see it in action (super fast and massive) during a rain storm. When dry out though, expect streaks through the middle of the windshield and a weak spray stream that has trouble removing the slightest amount of dirt or bugs.

Sound System:

I’ve heard all kinds of feedback about how incredible the sound is. While it sounds good, there is nothing at all incredible about it. Most high-end luxury car sound systems like Bang & Olufsen and harman/kardon are much better in my opinion. If you’ve ever sat in a newer Mercedes, you know what I mean.

Steering wheel/squircle:

Love this thing. Very comfortable to rest your hand along the top while driving and when paired with the new steer-by-wire, it feels much more like driving a small SUV/car then you would expect. The horn is great and the fact that it is heated is nice too.

Supercharging:

What an event this can be. While it doesn’t happen every time, the first time at a supercharger for me turned in a full car demo with multiple people coming up, taking videos and asking questions. Questions like, “What is this?” “Who makes it?” and “What is the range like?” are all common.

Attention:

I’m sure this will die out eventually but for now… Wow! Unlike anything I’ve ever experienced and likely a glimpse into the lives of celebrities. Everywhere you go, park, and drive, the Cybertruck is in its element and demonstrates that it is a celebrity in its own right. People take videos, pictures, call their family and friends on Facetime, and will absolutely record you driving up and down the highway. There is something about it that draws folks to it like a strong magnet.

With the exception a single (n)on one of the first days out (from a guy in sprinter van), every other reaction, response, and gesture on the road has been overwhelmingly positive. The most common reaction seems to be jaws dropping in astonishment as you roll by. Kids, adults, teens, seniors – it doesn’t matter, everyone seems taken by it.

Frunk:

While some knock it, I think it is a great spot for groceries. The space is perfect to hold bags loaded up with food or to store things like a travel bag or an umbrella. The mechanical nature and how it automatically goes up and down is another nice touch by Tesla.

Headlights:

They seem totally normal and fine. I’ve yet to come across a situation where I didn’t have enough light. Having said that, I haven’t been in the snow or mud with it yet.

Cameras:

Absolutely incredible from every angle. They did an outstanding job.

Sun visors:

These work well enough and it is cool how they snap into place. Depending on seat placement, they can get in the way of the seat if trying to block sun from the drivers window. If you use an old-fashioned garage opener and have it clipped to the visor, be prepared to have it fall down - especially if you need to open up the extra panel on the visor to block the sun.

Keeping it clean:

Good luck and don’t worry about it. Take it through a carwash every once in a while and you’ll be fine. Bugs love the Cybertruck. They attach onto it like any other car – especially when driving through the country but it is quite a scene when looking at it on that metal finish after a drive. The metal also appears to be very porous so just expect to see everything under the sun to leave marks from fingerprints to tree sap.

Range:

The AWD Dual motor is totally fine when it comes to range. While it charges up much slower than a model Y (bigger battery) and doesn’t seem to be as efficient, the range will get you everywhere you need to go and can actually go further on a single charge vs any other Tesla I’ve owned. At a supercharger I’m seeing around 320 miles at 100% and 307 on a level 2 at home. My normal charge to 80% brings it to around 256-263 miles of range, which is plenty and more than the Model Y at 80%.

Towing:

While I have a few things that I can tow around, I haven’t yet tried and will update at a later point with my thoughts around it.

Powershare:

Install scheduled! Will update with thoughts on this too. Received the initial survey, was approved and then connected with an install team. Given that I have solar and haven't yet gone with a backup battery, the potential of this feature is exciting.

Conclusion:

If you need/want a truck, you can’t beat this thing. Absolutely incredible in every way, and seemingly only going to get better as the software updates roll out.

I've got a few more miles on mine and agree totally with the OP on his review. A couple of additions:
-bugs plaster solidly on the flat nose but not much on the windshield.
-the wife and I have made a few longish trips. The seats are comfortable for the two to three hours between stops. It's a very enjoyable cruiser.
-wind noise above 75MPH is a little annoying.
-fit and finish on my VIN 12XX is not great, but I don't care.
-It's been to the mountains and the tires are only OK on ice.
-I'm not adept at parking this large of a vehicle but I really like the four wheel steering (I'm excited about the 10 degree upgrade)
I've included our energy usage for the time we've had it. This is for a mix of driving, almost exclusively on pavement. The last 159 miles (472 Wh/mi) was some dense stop and go traffic, a lot of high speed freeway and a final 1200 foot climb.

20240320_172451.jpg
Sponsored

flyinglow

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 335i, F250
Country flag
I’ve had the Cybertruck All-Wheel-Drive Dual Motor for just over a month now and have put about 800 miles on it. To be super transparent, I’m a huge fan of Tesla, and this is the 3rd Tesla that I’ve owned.

I’m just a regular dude who reserved it the moment they broke the glass on stage during the original announcement. I was lucky enough to be part of the first (non-employee/non-influencer) Foundation Series invites that went out on Dec. 8th. After taking a couple of days to make the decision, I placed an order for the Dual Motor AWD - which is what I originally had reserved. I did have the option at the time to book either the Dual or Tri-Motor and went with Dual primarily for the additional range and lower cost. The delivery estimate at the time was Dec-March for AWD and Jan-March for the Beast.

It took a bit for the VIN to be assigned and I actually discovered it within the app prior to getting an email, call or text about it. Once it was assigned though, I was able to call Tesla to find out exactly where it was and get an ETA around when it would arrive at the Tesla Center.

Delivery:

There have been a ton of delivery videos online. What you need to know is that there is massive variance in the way these are handled, and it seems like each Tesla center does their own thing. It is best to not expect anything other than your name hanging in the window – if you do, it is easy to set yourself up for potential disappointment.

A lot of these trucks are shipped via train/rail and they arrive to the Tesla centers super dirty. It looks like a massive effort so you should not expect perfection as it is possible they will miss some things.

Fit & Finish:

My trucks VIN was over 2000 so many of the super early kinks had already been worked out. It is worth taking a look for scratches, loose headliners, misaligned rubber/glass, and any obvious damage to panels inside and out. As long as you report everything within the app over the first day or so (before 200 miles) the service centers are generally super responsive and willing to help make things right. This truck is new for them too so many are learning as they go.

Drive:

As many have already said, the steering is phenomenal. The way this truck turns and navigates the roadway is super smooth and probably up there with the best that I’ve ever experienced – and I was a huge BMW fan way back. Tesla did something really great with the Cybertruck. For me, the Model Y and S always seemed a little too fast for their frames. Family members (including me) have often felt a little nauseous sitting in the passenger seat. This does not happen in the Cybertruck. This truck was built so well that it feels smooth and solid even with the rocket acceleration - it just sort of glides effortlessly and feels solid the entire time.

Parking:

The cameras are incredibly helpful. I’ve got experience driving an F-150, hauling trailers, boats etc, and the Cybertruck is by far the easiest to maneuver. While it is long, it is easy enough to adapt to the cameras which makes parking in and backing into spots, carports, and garages easy. Yes, it does fit in parking garages and underneath carports. Simply amazing to experience how it can just sneak itself under these structures with plenty of spare room.

Traffic Aware Cruise Control:

As the truck awaits FSD to be enabled, it does come with what is essentially adaptive cruise control. While not perfect, it is way better than nothing and makes highway driving just like most other cars post 2013. It does not handle railroad crossings and other stops very well but as far as highway cruising, it is just fine for now. I’ve been a regular user of Autopilot /FSD Beta and am excited for the day when it comes to the Cybertruck.

Interior Style:

The inside is just like every other Tesla. Super simplistic and very well done. The lighting and design choices made work very well together. The fact that the rear seats fold up just like an F-150 is great – makes it feel like you are not missing out on basic things that other trucks have.

Comfort:

While it is comfortable to drive on short trips, the seats are rock hard compared to other cars and even other Teslas. Great for around town, but not ideal for road trips. The seats feel super stiff and rigid after just a bit. Space wise though, there is plenty of room for people and all the stuff that you would want to move around with you.

The bed/vault:

They knocked the truck bed out of the park. When the gate is down, you’ve got the same if not more room than any other major pickup truck out there. Outlets and the storage underneath are also super convenient and well placed.

The bed cover/ tonneau:

This is easily one of the best features of the Cybertruck. Super cool to see it going up and down and very functional. If you are loading stuff up for the dump, with just a click you can cover the load. Even though it covers the rearview mirror, I always ride with it up and have gotten used to the rear-view camera on the main screen.

I’ve driven through intense rainstorms and for the most part the inside of the bed/vault stays dry. Do not expect the same going through a carwash however. If they are using a hose and spraying water on it while closed, a bit of water will come in through the front and sides though the storage area near the gate stays dry. This is to be expected though anytime you aim water at something that is not sealed.

Tires:

They are just badass. Everyone loves them even without the new caps that are still awaiting delivery. Haven’t seen them in the snow just yet, but great in the rain and on the dry road.

Wiper:

Love it and hate it. I mean, it is one of the coolest things I’ve seen on a car, but it doesn’t work anywhere near as well as regular wipers - especially if you need to clean the window. Works fine though for keeping rain out of your view while driving and is easy enough to turn on with the button on the steering wheel. It is also fun to see it in action (super fast and massive) during a rain storm. When dry out though, expect streaks through the middle of the windshield and a weak spray stream that has trouble removing the slightest amount of dirt or bugs.

Sound System:

I’ve heard all kinds of feedback about how incredible the sound is. While it sounds good, there is nothing at all incredible about it. Most high-end luxury car sound systems like Bang & Olufsen and harman/kardon are much better in my opinion. If you’ve ever sat in a newer Mercedes, you know what I mean.

Steering wheel/squircle:

Love this thing. Very comfortable to rest your hand along the top while driving and when paired with the new steer-by-wire, it feels much more like driving a small SUV/car then you would expect. The horn is great and the fact that it is heated is nice too.

Supercharging:

What an event this can be. While it doesn’t happen every time, the first time at a supercharger for me turned in a full car demo with multiple people coming up, taking videos and asking questions. Questions like, “What is this?” “Who makes it?” and “What is the range like?” are all common.

Attention:

I’m sure this will die out eventually but for now… Wow! Unlike anything I’ve ever experienced and likely a glimpse into the lives of celebrities. Everywhere you go, park, and drive, the Cybertruck is in its element and demonstrates that it is a celebrity in its own right. People take videos, pictures, call their family and friends on Facetime, and will absolutely record you driving up and down the highway. There is something about it that draws folks to it like a strong magnet.

With the exception a single (n)on one of the first days out (from a guy in sprinter van), every other reaction, response, and gesture on the road has been overwhelmingly positive. The most common reaction seems to be jaws dropping in astonishment as you roll by. Kids, adults, teens, seniors – it doesn’t matter, everyone seems taken by it.

Frunk:

While some knock it, I think it is a great spot for groceries. The space is perfect to hold bags loaded up with food or to store things like a travel bag or an umbrella. The mechanical nature and how it automatically goes up and down is another nice touch by Tesla.

Headlights:

They seem totally normal and fine. I’ve yet to come across a situation where I didn’t have enough light. Having said that, I haven’t been in the snow or mud with it yet.

Cameras:

Absolutely incredible from every angle. They did an outstanding job.

Sun visors:

These work well enough and it is cool how they snap into place. Depending on seat placement, they can get in the way of the seat if trying to block sun from the drivers window. If you use an old-fashioned garage opener and have it clipped to the visor, be prepared to have it fall down - especially if you need to open up the extra panel on the visor to block the sun.

Keeping it clean:

Good luck and don’t worry about it. Take it through a carwash every once in a while and you’ll be fine. Bugs love the Cybertruck. They attach onto it like any other car – especially when driving through the country but it is quite a scene when looking at it on that metal finish after a drive. The metal also appears to be very porous so just expect to see everything under the sun to leave marks from fingerprints to tree sap.

Range:

The AWD Dual motor is totally fine when it comes to range. While it charges up much slower than a model Y (bigger battery) and doesn’t seem to be as efficient, the range will get you everywhere you need to go and can actually go further on a single charge vs any other Tesla I’ve owned. At a supercharger I’m seeing around 320 miles at 100% and 307 on a level 2 at home. My normal charge to 80% brings it to around 256-263 miles of range, which is plenty and more than the Model Y at 80%.

Towing:

While I have a few things that I can tow around, I haven’t yet tried and will update at a later point with my thoughts around it.

Powershare:

Install scheduled! Will update with thoughts on this too. Received the initial survey, was approved and then connected with an install team. Given that I have solar and haven't yet gone with a backup battery, the potential of this feature is exciting.

Conclusion:

If you need/want a truck, you can’t beat this thing. Absolutely incredible in every way, and seemingly only going to get better as the software updates roll out.
Nice to have such a thorough "review" by an owner.

Impressed with the Cybertruck, especially the state-of-the-art engineering, but there are some things I find annoying (mostly Tesla stuff).

I am not o fan of the stark, minimalistic interiors. Cybertruck accentuates this with its sharp lines. Nice design from an artistic point of view but not really to my taste.

I would like a display in front of the driver so I don't have to take my eyes off the road, maybe also heads up. Ideally, it would have the side and rear view cameras with the SOC, remaining range, speed and GPS distance to next turn/direction of the turn overlaid. OK, no one else has this yet but if your are going to suggest removing the mirrors and the tonneau blocks the rear view, it seems an obvious choice.

Give me some more buttons for frequently used controls (HVAV, audio, for example). I realize this goes against Tesla's constant effort to drive down costs but I drive my vehicles/don't use driver's aids like autopilot or FSD (common Elon, be honest and drop the "full"). I don't want to take my eyes off the road for simple tasks.

The power tonneau is neat but its storage takes up space that could have been used for battery. As a result, driving any distance results in mental spaghetti and stress figuring out how to efficiently go the distance. The Silverado EV is overweight for its battery size but that battery size means you can drive it like an ICE vehicle/go until you need a restroom/meal break and then charge significantly faster. That is going to sell a lot of trucks.

It is missing cupholders for the rear passengers (need to loose the center seat to use them). My grandkids are going to spill soda everywhere.

The other issue with the tonneau/Cybertruck styling and engineering is the high bed sides. Not the most practical for a working truck. That is going to limit its sales to some extent.

Right now the Cybertruck has a backlog of orders/reservations. It will be interesting to see how much it can penetrate the existing pickup market vs draw buyers who would not ordinarily be pickup buyers.

I like technology and great engineering so I could end up with a Cybertruck despite my reservations. It has great payload and reasonable towing capacity if somewhat shy of what I really want. Not willing to pay for Foundation Series scam, though.

CTOWannabe

First Name
CTO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck Reservation
Country flag
Comfort:

Thank you for the great review.

I currently have a honda ridgeline and it's super comfy and great for road trips. The suspension is surprisingly compliant and good, almost baja racer like over rough roads, and the seats are near barcalounger comfy.

I'm kind of bummed to hear the seats are not good for long haul trips. :( Could you comment on how comfortable or not the seats are relative to your other tesla's and more comfy car seats you've exeperienced?

How is the suspension? I find 'real trucks' like the F150 with body on frame are terrible and rough and have to go really slow off road so as not to be shaken to death. On the honda, i can pretty much magic carpet ride glide over most rough roads and go very fast while being very comfy between the suspension and seat.

Could you comment how it is on such uneven dirt road events?

Thanks!

OP
OP
Cyberlove

Cyberlove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
You're welcome! Thanks to you and everyone for taking the time to check it out.

To your first question, yes, the seats in a Tesla Model Y are way more comfortable. That goes for both around town and on longer drives. Personally, Honda (any trim DX/LX/EX), Ford (STX/Platinum), and even older Teslas (like an original refresh Model S) seats are more comfortable once you get past a 30-60 min drive. The Cybertruck seats are stiff, but they are loaded with things like adjustable lumbar options, are heated/cooled, and do provide plenty of comfort on short drives.

On the second question, the ride quality/air suspension in the Cybertruck is the BEST that I've ever experienced. This thing plows smoothly over bumps, potholes, rocks, gravel, and anything else that gets in your way with just a slight jolt. There have been times when depending on speed, I had to question whether or not I had just gone over a known speed bump - it is just that smooth.

BannedByTMC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
The power tonneau is neat but its storage takes up space that could have been used for battery.
Tesla wouldn't have put more battery there, and even if they did it wouldn't add significant capacity. Look at the size of the extra pack.

flyinglow

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 335i, F250
Country flag
Tesla wouldn't have put more battery there, and even if they did it wouldn't add significant capacity. Look at the size of the extra pack.
Most manufacturers are running the battery pack from front wheel arch to rear wheel arch to maximize capacity. Every engineering/design choice is a compromise. Without actual measurements, I can just guess haw much additional battery would fit if they used that space for battery instead of tonneau. From various images, maybe another 10-12%, so they wouldn't get 400+ miles range. However, even another 30-40 miles range would be useful and put the CT in a more competitive position with the Lightning/Rivian.

There are other ways to get a locking tonneau/aero benefit (the aftermarket already has addressed this) and do so without blocking the rear window, which would have been my preference.

Anyway, this is just armchair quarterbacking. The CT is the CT and my preferences are just that...mine. Everyone will make up their own mind on the CT as a whole, not just range or tonneau.
Sponsored