Removing / venting rear window to cool/heat vault for DIY camp mode?

Green Gene

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyber Truck
Occupation
Self Employed
Country flag
Thanks. I had no idea they were out there. This is a great idea. I wrote in and asked if they had a model for Cybertruck and if so when would it be out. If I maybe so bold as to suggest anyone else interested in this to write and ask if when they plan on making a product for Cybertruck. The more people that show interest the more likely they will build one.
*** ** Good News ***********************
I have spoken to Ben from Breezer and he confirms they do plan on having a product ready for Cybertruck. No date given.

OP
OP
Cybergirl

Cybergirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Model Y SR, Cybertruck AWD FS
Country flag
Instead of removing the backlite window of the CT, someone suggested using a portable A/C unit, and it got me thinking about adapting a tent air conditioner to the Cybertruck vault. I spent hours researching small A/C units and finally found what I think will work. It’s the BougeRV 2899 BTU portable air conditioner which I bought from the company at a discounted $658.

This A/C is appropriately small for the purpose I intend it for. The volume of the vault is only 54 cf, so it should not be hard to cool the space even on really hot days.

The unit will be powered from the CT’s 120V outlet in the vault using the supplied AC to 24VDC adapter. The unit weighs just 23 lbs. I plan to locate it on a 12” x 57” x 3/8” clear Lexan panel inserted into the tonneau cover tracks at the gate. I'll cut two 4" diameter holes in the panel. The warm air intake duct from the vault will be connected to one hole, and the cold air output duct will pass through the other hole and extend to the head of the vault or wherever desired.

What’s nice about this unit is that it can be reversed and also work as a heat source rather than resorting to a ceramic heater. It draws a maximum of 360W, but people say it's more like 200 - 250W in practice.

Tesla Cybertruck Removing / venting rear window to cool/heat vault for DIY camp mode? BougeRV

With the tonneau cover not being fully closed, the window to the cabin will be blocked. The clear Lexan panel will provide some natural light and reduce any claustrophobic feelings with the tonneau closed.

Outdoors

First Name
Outdoors
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S,3,Y,C
A cap via spacecampers makes it more real. I think many would struggle after days and days of sleeping in the vault. One really needs to get up and move around a bit.

Have done that cap camping with a buddy that had a pretty sweet setup. Two was a full house.

NoMoGas

First Name
Deanna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
P85, P85+, 3, Cybertruck AWD Foundation Series
Occupation
SpaceX Avionics Engineer
Country flag

NoMoGas

First Name
Deanna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
P85, P85+, 3, Cybertruck AWD Foundation Series
Occupation
SpaceX Avionics Engineer
Country flag
Yeah, if breezer comes out with one for CT that would likely be my first significant upgrade. Not having an opening rear window was a big design miss (or liability cave if they removed it because of the tonneau. Unless they don’t want people cranking on the heat or AC trying to condition the bed since it’s so poorly insulated. Unless you put a blanket on the tonneau it will conduct heat very effectively.
I would like an electric up down… But I'll take what I can get

rudedawg78

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired USAF, Emergency Manager
Country flag
Instead of removing the backlite window of the CT, someone suggested using a portable A/C unit, and it got me thinking about adapting a tent air conditioner to the Cybertruck vault. I spent hours researching small A/C units and finally found what I think will work. It’s the BougeRV 2899 BTU portable air conditioner which I bought from the company at a discounted $658.

This A/C is appropriately small for the purpose I intend it for. The volume of the vault is only 54 cf, so it should not be hard to cool the space even on really hot days.

The unit will be powered from the CT’s 120V outlet in the vault using the supplied AC to 24VDC adapter. The unit weighs just 23 lbs. I plan to locate it on a 12” x 57” x 3/8” clear Lexan panel inserted into the tonneau cover tracks at the gate. I'll cut two 4" diameter holes in the panel. The warm air intake duct from the vault will be connected to one hole, and the cold air output duct will pass through the other hole and extend to the head of the vault or wherever desired.

What’s nice about this unit is that it can be reversed and also work as a heat source rather than resorting to a ceramic heater. It draws a maximum of 360W, but people say it's more like 200 - 250W in practice.

BougeRV.jpg

With the tonneau cover not being fully closed, the window to the cabin will be blocked. The clear Lexan panel will provide some natural light and reduce any claustrophobic feelings with the tonneau closed.
I can't wait to see pictures after you complete this project. Thanks for all the details.

OP
OP
Cybergirl

Cybergirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Model Y SR, Cybertruck AWD FS
Country flag
A cap via spacecampers makes it more real. I think many would struggle after days and days of sleeping in the vault. One really needs to get up and move around a bit.

Have done that cap camping with a buddy that had a pretty sweet setup. Two was a full house.
I took a look at Space Camper's Wedge. Apart from the price ($24,000 starting), I don't want to do anything that will affect the aerodynamics and reduce highway range. I also want to keep the utility of a pickup. I think this will work for me.
Sponsored