Removing / venting rear window to cool/heat vault for DIY camp mode?

Cybergirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Model Y SR, Cybertruck AWD FS
Country flag
I want to remove the rear window on my Cybertruck so that there's a way to cool the vault from the cabin HVAC (Camping Mode). It would also provide a pass-through from the vault to the cabin that would be useful when sleeping in the vault. I examined the way Tesla mounted the glass panel and it looks like it can be removed from the vault side with not much trouble. It involves removing the plastic applique (photo) to expose the confinement elements. It also appears that the glass panel is not a structural component (it does not appear to be supporting the glass roof).

It looks to me like an aftermarket slider replacement window could easily be designed to replace the fixed glass panel. I'll follow up when I have more information on the removal.

I think the reason Tesla didn't design their own slider was to avoid the liability of someone getting injured. Although the tonneau cover will retract if it senses resistance while closing, a child's hand/fingers could be badly hurt if caught
in the path of the cover while being closed.

If anyone has experience removing the rear window I'd be interested in hearing from you.

Tesla Cybertruck Removing / venting rear window to cool/heat vault for DIY camp mode? 20240301_143639_001
Sponsored

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1 Million Miles on ICE Toyotas, Waiting for CT
Yup the lack of midgate bandaid we are all waiting for, hopefully glass people get a way to take our money for it soon.

sylvius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberBeast FS ordered
Country flag
Yeah, if breezer comes out with one for CT that would likely be my first significant upgrade. Not having an opening rear window was a big design miss (or liability cave if they removed it because of the tonneau. Unless they don’t want people cranking on the heat or AC trying to condition the bed since it’s so poorly insulated. Unless you put a blanket on the tonneau it will conduct heat very effectively.

jasper7821

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3, Jaguar F-Type, Porsche Macan GTS, Indian
Occupation
Aircraft researcher
Country flag
I want to remove the rear window on my Cybertruck so that there's a way to cool the vault from the cabin HVAC (Camping Mode). It would also provide a pass-through from the vault to the cabin that would be useful when sleeping in the vault. I examined the way Tesla mounted the glass panel and it looks like it can be removed from the vault side with not much trouble. It involves removing the plastic applique (photo) to expose the confinement elements. It also appears that the glass panel is not a structural component (it does not appear to be supporting the glass roof).

It looks to me like an aftermarket slider replacement window could easily be designed to replace the fixed glass panel. I'll follow up when I have more information on the removal.

I think the reason Tesla didn't design their own slider was to avoid the liability of someone getting injured. Although the tonneau cover will retract if it senses resistance while closing, a child's hand/fingers could be badly hurt if caught

If anyone has experience removing the rear window I'd be interested in hearing from you.

20240301_143639_001.jpg
I really with they would have at least put in a slider, it would have been so nice. Maybe it was safety reasons why they didn’t, who knows.
Hopefully someone will make one, I’d definitely convert it.
And congratulations on your truck, still waiting for my VIN on 1/17 order in AZ.

OP
OP
Cybergirl

Cybergirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Model Y SR, Cybertruck AWD FS
Country flag

I found this in the service and repair documentation from Tesla. Darn!

Tesla Cybertruck Removing / venting rear window to cool/heat vault for DIY camp mode? Backlite Removal

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1 Million Miles on ICE Toyotas, Waiting for CT
I found this in the service and repair documentation from Tesla. Darn!

Backlite Removal.png
What a bummer that info is not out yet, hopefully it will come out soon.
Know one guy who is just going to break the glass and leave it open between the cab and the back as he will leave the cover open most of the time.

ideaXfactory

First Name
IdeaX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Many trucks, and a Porsche
Occupation
Stainless, metals, art, polymath
Might be a problem for the kiddo's. Probably the open direction doesn't have a force stop...

Saygmo

First Name
Sas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 awd
Country flag
Might be a problem for the kiddo's. Probably the open direction doesn't have a force stop...
Install a sensor that knows the window is open and prevents the cover from moving.
Also- how about a setting in the ui to lock the cover, like the child lock safety setting. Easy to implement.

ideaXfactory

First Name
IdeaX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Many trucks, and a Porsche
Occupation
Stainless, metals, art, polymath
Install a sensor that knows the window is open and prevents the cover from moving.
Also- how about a setting in the ui to lock the cover, like the child lock safety setting. Easy to implement.
Easy to implement if access to the software was permitted... Which it is not.

A manual safety swinging bar could be designed.

Agree that adding a safety sensor would be best, but it would need to interface with the physical motor at least.
Sponsored