First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Ordered
Country flag
Updated with Elon Musk's first comment after supercharger team layoffs:

"Tesla still plans to grow the Supercharger network, just at a slower pace for new locations and more focus on 100% uptime and expansion of existing locations"

News Article: https://electrek.co/2024/04/29/tesla-conducting-more-layoffs-including-entire-supercharger-team/

Just after laying off “more than 10%” of its global workforce, Tesla is laying off even more employees – including senior executives and long-time veterans of the company, most notably the entire Supercharging team and the executive responsible for negotiating NACS adoption across the industry.

Original source: https://www.theinformation.com/arti...layoffs-as-two-senior-tesla-executives-depart
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

DFWBrad

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (May??), MS'22 (Sold), M3P (Sold)
Country flag
Yeah was just going through my stock feed this morning and saw that. Seems.... Interesting 🤔

"Hopefully these actions are making it clear that we need to be absolutely hard core about headcount and cost reduction," Musk said in the email. "While some on exec staff are taking this seriously, most are not yet doing so."

Kinda interesting to be fighting for your $50b package whilst firing 10% of your staff. (I believe he deserves it btw, just ill timing)

Idea Of The Day

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ideaoftheday.com
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Software Developer, Vlogger
Country flag
The "Entire Staff".... What the heck?

I can't see how that could be entirely true. They need boots on the ground to install and maintain locations, so perhaps they just mean the design or management team.

carsly

First Name
Vin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LR Defender, Tesla Model S
Country flag
This is Fred Lambert from Electrek who is in a pissing contest with Elon (guess who's winning). His reporting hasn't always been on the level or on point. Take it with a grain of salt until you have independent corroboration.

Kahpernicus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
Country flag

carsly

First Name
Vin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LR Defender, Tesla Model S
Country flag
While Reuters isn't known for being on point either, The Information has been around for a minute.

Lots of speculation here, but my interpretation (yes, it's an informed guess) is that Mr. Musk wasn't happy about new Superchargers getting screens, payment terminals, etc. in order to receive NEVI funding and decided to just shut it all down - from the policy through the design and execution - and force the market to catch up to where Tesla already is the as the company more deliberately rations cash in the face of slower growth and lower prices.

Why?

It will take years, if not a decade or more, for any competitors to try and build a competitive charging network. Rather than compromise what's made Tesla successful - super-simple plug and go charging - Mr. Musk wants to maintain that strategic advantage. While cash is getting tight, adding more charging stalls won't necessarily increase Tesla's advantage in the next 1-3 years so best to cease development on a bizarro NEVI charger and wait until after the 2024 election to ramp up investments in charging. In the meantime, there was probably nothing for the team to actually do.

Make no mistake, Musk is playing 6-10 moves ahead. The "why" on decisions like this won't be obvious to us in the outside world for many years to come when the results come in but it does fuel short-sellers abundant misunderstanding of Tesla.

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag

I can't see how that could be entirely true. They need boots on the ground to install and maintain locations, so perhaps they just mean the design or management team.
They like prefab the supercharger stations now. From what I understand they just need to connect a couple wires when they get there and they could have any electricians do that.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
While Reuters isn't known for being on point either, The Information has been around for a minute.

Lots of speculation here, but my interpretation (yes, it's an informed guess) is that Mr. Musk wasn't happy about new Superchargers getting screens, payment terminals, etc. in order to receive NEVI funding and decided to just shut it all down - from the policy through the design and execution - and force the market to catch up to where Tesla already is the as the company more deliberately rations cash in the face of slower growth and lower prices.

Why?

It will take years, if not a decade or more, for any competitors to try and build a competitive charging network. Rather than compromise what's made Tesla successful - super-simple plug and go charging - Mr. Musk wants to maintain that strategic advantage. While cash is getting tight, adding more charging stalls won't necessarily increase Tesla's advantage in the next 1-3 years so best to cease development on a bizarro NEVI charger and wait until after the 2024 election to ramp up investments in charging. In the meantime, there was probably nothing for the team to actually do.

Make no mistake, Musk is playing 6-10 moves ahead. The "why" on decisions like this won't be obvious to us in the outside world for many years to come when the results come in but it does fuel short-sellers abundant misunderstanding of Tesla.
I like your analysis a lot, and think it stands a good chance of being correct on the specifics too. The general gist of it is spot on for sure. It's why Elon tends to always win, he sees what others can't. Because his brain is always parsing everything. That's what makes him worth more than so many other CEO's all put together - and he knows it too.

People love to second guess his actions, and he's not 100% correct, simply because he's a human and all humans are fallable, but you can't second guess his overall results, they are the proof of his brilliance.

No, there is no one else that can do it. Not as well as Elon. His detractors try to make you believe that he has finally lost it, but nothing has ever changed. He sees what others cannot.

Tedacules

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I3
Country flag

Fake news don't believe everything you read.

CybertruckRN1127

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, Model X
Country flag
Good, they saw my survey! Haha joking, but I did tell them I may not buy a Tesla in the future since other manufacturers could use the Supercharging network so there is no need to stay with Tesla once other competitors come online. I'm very interested in purchasing a Rivian R2 and R3X. Only if Rivian could stay in business long enough to bring those to market.

Allowing others access to Superchargers was a very bad decision, unless they double the charging fee so others can use it in a jam or they lower Tesla charge rate back down to 28 cents.

Cyber Bear

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyber truck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag

Why?

I hope you’re right. In the meantime does it still make sense, if the capacity issue is true, to restrict non Tesla vehicles from using the Super Charging stations?

geekwithout

First Name
Ren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f250,forester
Country flag

Why?

Maintaining the advantage doesn't mean sitting still in development of anything bigger and better. That simply means you're letting the competition catch up. History has proven that companies doing that will not be around for much longer. It might work for a few years while your equipment is getting outdated but won't work in the long run.
Sponsored