Administrator

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CYBERTRUCK
Country flag
via https://www.caradvice.com.au/849086/tesla-cybertruck-iconic-brutal-perfect-says-rival-designer/

Renault's boss of concept car design has heaped praised on Elon Musk's controversial electric pick-up.

One of the world’s leading car designers has called the Tesla Cybertruck a "perfect design".

François Leboine, the boss of concept car design at French auto giant Renault, bestowed the accolades on Tesla’s striking and revolutionary design for a ute during a video conference with Australian journalists.

“It's very funny because as a design exercise, [the Tesla Cybertruck] is touching the opposites,” he said. “On one hand it's the perfect design exercise to be iconic. Iconic of course for designers is the best because you become immediately recognisable and the world, you're detaching yourself from the world. And there is no better way to make you known and recognised than making a very simple, simplistic design and that is of course immediately iconic.”

However, Leboine did concede the sharp angles of the Cybertruck conflicted him.

“You know, there's something that bothers me, I would say,” he added. “There is something which is very brutal in this design and that kind of makes me wonder if I could do something like this. If I would accept to go to this very strong and simple iconic design without stopping myself from doing it.

“And also the quantity of material of batteries, of energy, of weight used in to discourage is for me a limit that is difficult to understand. But it's mainly because I'm more European. But in terms of pure stylist, styling exercise, I love it.”

Leboine, whose portfolio includes the equally revolutionary Renault Twizy electric vehicle, revealed he would be keen to add a pick-up truck to his portfolio. However, the lack of a market in Europe for such vehicles – Renault has just the single ute in its range, the Alaskan – would mean fulfilling that ambition unlikely.

“As a designer, I would love to draw a pick-up,” he said,” especially a big one. I think it's an old dream of designers, especially if you are European. It's something you don't know, you almost never see the streets.

“Designers always want to draw something they've never drawn. They always dream of working on projects that they don't see every day… I'd like to make a pick-up of course, but I'm not sure it's in the big plans of Renault at the moment.”
Sponsored

Bond007

First Name
Bond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Accolades keep coming.

stumby

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S P90D
Country flag
I love the design term "brutal." That will also be a proper adjective for the Cybertruck's acceleration! ?
Interesting read on what Brutalism is, I've always just glossed over that description of the Cybertruck. I wonder if Tesla set out to give the Cybertruck a Brutalist design or it just came to be because they wanted to create a shape that was easiest to manufacture with stainless steel.

Old Spice

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, Polaris RZR
Country flag
It's already an icon. I've never seen this many fan renderings and videos for any vehicle. It also already has a Hot Wheels, is featured in video games, and may become a Lego too. All this before it even hits production!

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
Come on, dude. Just say it. It's an ASSAULT TRUCK. An Urban Assault Truck. There, I said it. Get ready world, when this thing hits the streets every car designer is going to be wishing they designed it. ?

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
I love the design term "brutal." That will also be a proper adjective for the Cybertruck's acceleration! ?
Brutal as in " sledgehammer". Tesla left no doubt what it was doing, to whom and why. Left is the exercise to finish the hit, backfill the grave with CT orders and deliver on promises. Watch how design is inspiration!

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
That wasn't actually a sledgehammer. It was a dead biow malllet.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
That explains no rebound off the door panel and the manner in which it was held. Good catch.

Thanks!

Sdidesign

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Dodge Ram
Occupation
Product Developer and Parts Sourcing Manager
Country flag
via https://www.caradvice.com.au/849086/tesla-cybertruck-iconic-brutal-perfect-says-rival-designer/

Renault's boss of concept car design has heaped praised on Elon Musk's controversial electric pick-up.

One of the world’s leading car designers has called the Tesla Cybertruck a "perfect design".

François Leboine, the boss of concept car design at French auto giant Renault, bestowed the accolades on Tesla’s striking and revolutionary design for a ute during a video conference with Australian journalists.

“It's very funny because as a design exercise, [the Tesla Cybertruck] is touching the opposites,” he said. “On one hand it's the perfect design exercise to be iconic. Iconic of course for designers is the best because you become immediately recognisable and the world, you're detaching yourself from the world. And there is no better way to make you known and recognised than making a very simple, simplistic design and that is of course immediately iconic.”

However, Leboine did concede the sharp angles of the Cybertruck conflicted him.

“You know, there's something that bothers me, I would say,” he added. “There is something which is very brutal in this design and that kind of makes me wonder if I could do something like this. If I would accept to go to this very strong and simple iconic design without stopping myself from doing it.

“And also the quantity of material of batteries, of energy, of weight used in to discourage is for me a limit that is difficult to understand. But it's mainly because I'm more European. But in terms of pure stylist, styling exercise, I love it.”

Leboine, whose portfolio includes the equally revolutionary Renault Twizy electric vehicle, revealed he would be keen to add a pick-up truck to his portfolio. However, the lack of a market in Europe for such vehicles – Renault has just the single ute in its range, the Alaskan – would mean fulfilling that ambition unlikely.

“As a designer, I would love to draw a pick-up,” he said,” especially a big one. I think it's an old dream of designers, especially if you are European. It's something you don't know, you almost never see the streets.

“Designers always want to draw something they've never drawn. They always dream of working on projects that they don't see every day… I'd like to make a pick-up of course, but I'm not sure it's in the big plans of Renault at the moment.”

Sdidesign

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Dodge Ram
Occupation
Product Developer and Parts Sourcing Manager
Country flag
The Cybertruck styling will certainly have an influence on all truck design moving forward. We will see this over the next 3 years as other automakers introduce their next-generation truck designs and we will see the influence.

AlexD

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus 460LS, Model 3 dm, Mustang Boss 302, F150,
Occupation
retired Building Contractor
Country flag
"Iconic (of course for designers) is the best because you become immediately recognisable and the world, you're detaching yourself from the world"
Cybertruck is brilliant because they have totally detached from the truck world and will always be instantly recognizable - like the VW beetle but even more so.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Not only other automakers, will be influenced by this design. I would anticipate Tesla designing a small urban vehicle for world wide consumption. Between Giga Shanghi and Giga Berlin, Asia and the European market would go crazy for a small reasonably priced Tesla.
Sponsored