Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
It already has a recall and has to go back to the factory. J/K and good luck to the new owner.
Actually guys on Rivian forum have already found some misalignment and panel gap issues on the photos. However I still consider this a momentous occasion for anyone interested in any BEV truck. It is going to be good for all of us no matter what brand you are into. Even if you are not interested in trucks but like clean air, it is a good thing. Let the race begin.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Actually guys on Rivian forum have already found some misalignment and panel gap issues on the photos. However I still consider this a momentous occasion for anyone interested in any BEV truck. It is going to be good for all of us no matter what brand you are into. Even if you are not interested in trucks but like clean air, it is a good thing. Let the race begin.
They are priced and positioning themselves as a bit of a luxury brand. If they have panel gaps in Unit #1, they have a long ways to go to justify that pricing.

Tesla could get away with it because they were the only game in E-town. I guess Rivian has a window to establish their rep as panel gappers.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
They are priced and positioning themselves as a bit of a luxury brand. If they have panel gaps in Unit #1, they have a long ways to go to justify that pricing.

Tesla could get away with it because they were the only game in E-town. I guess Rivian has a window to establish their rep as panel gappers.
Even though their price is multiple of highest I have ever paid for any car, I consider their Price/Performance for today’s BEV market reasonable. I consider CT the best deal in town and Rivian is on par with CT3 on performance and price except it cost a lot more to produce with, paint, Battery pack and additional motors. But I agree with you on customer expectation on that price range when you look at the car market in general (including ICE). Except like us, Rivian guys have been waiting for so long that they are likely to put up with a bunch of initial fixes just to get their hands on the darn thing.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Even though their price is multiple of highest I have ever paid for any car, I consider their Price/Performance for today’s BEV market reasonable.
Yes.

But soon... ***big assumption here*** Tesla is going to redefine what a basic truck should be priced like and perform like. The base Cybertruck is $30,000 less than the base Rivian. The gap is pretty huge. I think there is going to be a bit of a reset in expectations for what a "budget" vehicle looks like and it's going to be harder to justify those prices.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes.

But soon... ***big assumption here*** Tesla is going to redefine what a basic truck should be priced like and perform like. The base Cybertruck is $30,000 less than the base Rivian. The gap is pretty huge. I think there is going to be a bit of a reset in expectations for what a "budget" vehicle looks like and it's going to be harder to justify those prices.
I am keeping my fingers crossed you are correct. Keep in mind Rivian was aware of Lightning and CT price structure. Even though they are talking about lower trim down the road, I doubt they go as low as $40K anytime soon. They are after REI and Starbucks shoppers that are more into glamping than camping. It is all about “feeling” special and a truck everyone can afford may not do the job. Once they run out of special people, they may come down to earth for rest of us but I have a feeling, U.S. is like lake Wobegon where everyone is above average.

Deleted member 12457

So what's with their website? I went to the configurator, made some changes but the delivery date never changed from January 2022. Is that when their backlog ends? From one of the photos it looks like there's a lineup of trucks.

Has anyone seen any NHTSA crash test information yet? I would think these are done before releasing any vehicle for sale. I checked https://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/database/VSR/veh/QueryVehicle.aspx and Rivian isn't even listed so unless they are given clearance to proceed, how do they legally sell any vehicles?

Tesla Cybertruck Rivian Starts shipping to Customer Screen Shot 2021-09-14 at 3.29.51 PM

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
So what's with their website? I went to the configurator, made some changes but the delivery date never changed from January 2022. Is that when their backlog ends? From one of the photos it looks like there's a lineup of trucks.
Looks like about 5 trucks to me.

I'm pretty sure Rivian has pre-sold their first year of production so it's going to be a wait. Rivian has been tight lipped about production capacity, how many pre-orders, etc.

Quicksilver

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan van
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
My main motivation for the CT was the different look and the fact that the Tri-motor can smoke most ICE vehicles like a cheap cigar.

I personally think the Rivian is a cookie cutter copy of an ICE vehicle and ugly as a blind date.

I do wish them well but I think they will be sucking hind tit where Tesla is concerned.

I doubt Elon is losing any sleep over any of the pure or hybrid EV competition.

I'll wait on the CT.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I am keeping my fingers crossed you are correct. Keep in mind Rivian was aware of Lightning and CT price structure. Even though they are talking about lower trim down the road, I doubt they go as low as $40K anytime soon.
I've been on enough trips where the 300 mile range on my Model Y has been frustrating or I've just needed more battery for camp mode; I want that extra range. That is at least the justification I'm using to buy a $70k super-truck that goes 0-60 in 3 seconds. I don't have that kind of backdoor logic that works to unlock a $75k Rivian.
Sponsored