Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Occupation
Exec
Country flag
I’ll be taking delivery in next few weeks; and the truck will be used to drive occasionally over a very long (25 miles bridge) with low guardrails. Many death per year occur with normal vehicles.
the recent death of Angela Chao in Texas, who accidentally drove into a pond in her X raises some issues. Apparently she was inebriated (3x legal limit) but she and bystanders couldn’t break the glass.
Our glass is tougher - maybe a lot tougher. What is the best tool to carry inside the Cybertruck? I already carry an emergency device in the S that has a tempered point and a dealt belt cutter), but reading indicates these things may be useless for modern laminated glass.
This may be the best argument for carrying a gun inside the vehicle. Permanent hearing damage perhaps but at least you could get out.
Maybe this should be tested?
Sponsored

agordon117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck foundation awd
Country flag
This may be the best argument for carrying a gun inside the vehicle. Permanent hearing damage perhaps but at least you could get out.
It wouldn't do a lot for you honestly. If you have a glass breaker you can pulverize the glass until there's no structure left to it and kick out the window. Eventually you should be able to cause a crack in the outer layer.

Mythbusters tested this. There is a correct answer to getting out of a car that's filling with water. You have to let it fill up. Once it does, the pressure will equalize and you can open the door with the manual latch. If you're actually concerned about drowning in the vehicle, the best thing you could carry is one of those 10 minute air supply canisters. But they did the tests without that canister and were able to escape just by moving to the last spot in the vehicle that had air until it was full of water completely. Then they took their last breath, opened a door, and swam to the surface.

But also, if you did for some reason need to shoot the window to cause the first crack, all you have to do is cover your ears to prevent hearing loss. One ear down to your shoulder, plug the other with a finger.

OP
OP

Nolacyber

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Occupation
Exec
Country flag
Media reporting, but still: "Another expert, Robert Sinclair of AAA, says Chao probably could not have broken the windows of her Tesla and gotten out with the use of a hammer or glass breaker due to the laminated glass the manufacturer uses"

it took first responders over an hour to get into vehicle to extract her body. One assumes they had hammers and various bars. So likely this is a problem.

cmugler

First Name
charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
kona ev, bmw x5 diesel
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I heard immedistely open a window which according to tesla will work untill the water reaches to the handles

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Rivian R1T QM, R1S QM, Zero S ZF
Occupation
Electric Bum
Country flag
Why did no one stopped her from getting into her EV is beyond me. Immediately roll down the windows and swim out is still the preferred means to survive a water crash. Power to the windows don't get cut off right away so if she had the proper water survival knowledge and not being drunk (her blood alcohol level was 3 times the legal limit), she should have survived this accident. RIP, Mrs Chao😔

Kahpernicus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
Country flag
Media reporting, but still: "Another expert, Robert Sinclair of AAA, says Chao probably could not have broken the windows of her Tesla and gotten out with the use of a hammer or glass breaker due to the laminated glass the manufacturer uses"

it took first responders over an hour to get into vehicle to extract her body. One assumes they had hammers and various bars. So likely this is a problem.

A friend told investigators that Ms. Chao called her at 11:42 p.m. to tell her that her car was in the pond and that she couldn’t get out of it. The water was rising, and Ms. Chao said “she was going to die and said ‘I love you,’” before the Tesla went under the water, the report states. The conversation lasted about eight minutes.

The friend then got into a kayak and paddled toward the Tesla, as another friend got into the water, swam to the vehicle and climbed on top of it, trying to find Ms. Chao, the report states. A third friend contacted 911 at 11:55 p.m. and remained on the phone for 11 minutes, the report states.

When law enforcement officials and firefighters arrived, they entered the cold water and tried to enter the car, the report states. The driver’s door window was broken, and a deputy went underwater and began feeling around the car until he found Ms. Chao.
Her body was taken ashore, but emergency medical workers were not able to regain a pulse and Ms. Chao was pronounced dead at 1:40 a.m. on Feb. 11.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/20/us/angela-chao-car-crash.html

BeFamousVideo

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Telsa M3 Long Range. CT Beast expected 3/2024
Occupation
AI Automation Agency owner
Country flag
I’ll be taking delivery in next few weeks; and the truck will be used to drive occasionally over a very long (25 miles bridge) with low guardrails. Many death per year occur with normal vehicles.
the recent death of Angela Chao in Texas, who accidentally drove into a pond in her X raises some issues. Apparently she was inebriated (3x legal limit) but she and bystanders couldn’t break the glass.
Our glass is tougher - maybe a lot tougher. What is the best tool to carry inside the Cybertruck? I already carry an emergency device in the S that has a tempered point and a dealt belt cutter), but reading indicates these things may be useless for modern laminated glass.
Maybe a cordless drill or other electric powered tool? Could be at the ready.

Cyberostachu

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla.Model 3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I think carrying a gun and an ear muff to solve this issue. 😉

pricedm

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Tesla Model Y LR. Volvo XC70 T6 retired 9/23
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I think carrying a gun and an ear muff to solve this issue. 😉
So would not driving while intoxicated. Easy decision to make.

I can't believe in this day and age we still have the pandemic of drunk driving.

BannedByTMC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
The driver’s door window was broken,
So they were able to break the window. It sounds as if she had called 911 first instead of talking with a friend for 8 minutes they might have been able to save her.