Selling Cybertruck - approval from Tesla required?

Pkizle

First Name
Preston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Hi, I’ve been thinking about selling my Cybertruck due to the depreciation on my Model Y. I’m having trouble moving it, thus I’m stuck with two vehicles.

I’ve called Tesla 5 times and also chatted with their online team twice. I’ve been promised calls back and after two weeks, still nothing.

Does anyone know how I can contact them for approval? Or should I just go ahead and sell it?
Sponsored

Alpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There was a forum member that got through to them and they denied him the permission to sell on the open market as well as declined to buy it back. I think he gave the excuse that he needed to sell to free up the cash for something but they said sorry, that's not an emergency or hardship.

espresso-drumbeat

First Name
Espresso
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck

mark555055c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Cybertruck AWD FS, 2019 Silverado Trail Boss
Country flag
Hi, I’ve been thinking about selling my Cybertruck due to the depreciation on my Model Y. I’m having trouble moving it, thus I’m stuck with two vehicles.

I’ve called Tesla 5 times and also chatted with their online team twice. I’ve been promised calls back and after two weeks, still nothing.

Does anyone know how I can contact them for approval? Or should I just go ahead and sell it?
I highly doubt Tesla will go after an individual who is simply selling the vehicle in good faith. If i was forced to sell my truck, i would just do it seeing that we are almost 5 months into production and a third of the way into 2024.

Those who try to abuse the system or do shady things on the other hand might want to think twice.

Last edited:

Darth abbott

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
I believe Tesla included the no resale clause simply as a deterrent. And it has worked in my opinion. I think we would see over 1000 truck or more listed for sale if they had not added it. People who had no intention of selling it when they ordered would be drawn to list theirs as well, if you could make a quick 50k or more with no risk. But this would have quickly decreased the value. So Tesla has basically helped keep the value above MSRP.

2nd what advantage does Tesla have to file lawsuits against sellers 0. It's simply not worth their time. When Ford sued John Cena it was one car and one customer, Tesla would have to file hundreds of lawsuits which is bad business practice.

The no resale clause was always meant as a deterrent nothing more.

But don't sell because the cybertruck is amazing and you should do everything you can to keep it!

OP
OP
Pkizle

Pkizle

First Name
Preston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I believe Tesla included the no resale clause simply as a deterrent. And it has worked in my opinion. I think we would see over 1000 truck or more listed for sale if they had not added it. People who had no intention of selling it when they ordered would be drawn to list theirs as well, if you could make a quick 50k or more with no risk. But this would have quickly decreased the value. So Tesla has basically helped keep the value above MSRP.

2nd what advantage does Tesla have to file lawsuits against sellers 0. It's simply not worth their time. When Ford sued John Cena it was one car and one customer, Tesla would have to file hundreds of lawsuits which is bad business practice.

But don't sell because the cybertruck is amazing and you should do everything you can to keep it!
Thank you for your feedback! I tend to agree, but figured I’d make a good faith effort. Perhaps it’s intentional they’re not calling me back.

It’s by far the best vehicle I’ve ever owned. I committed 4.5 years ago so I went ahead and followed through, but having two vehicles + the $20k price tag for FSD (essentially) AND not even having the FSD or any guidance on when it will be avail seems like a bad financial move. I’d love to keep it, but also down to just wait a bit longer.

Art138

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP,Ferrari Pista,Ford GT & CYBERBEAST ordered
Country flag
You should try to call back and keep the pressure up. For peace of mind ,better to have a response than lose sleep.

Bartman

First Name
Bart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y
Country flag

Yeah but they could lock your Tesla account and refuse to sell you another vehicle.... is that worth it?

Dmayo305

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S, 2023 Model X, Awaiting VIN for CT
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
The agreement you signed has the proper way to contact them.

Guylouis

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F.S. CyberBeast, XP, YP, 3P
Country flag
On the agreement there is the arbitration email address for Tesla . Email them and you’ll get a reply within 48 hours telling you that they don’t want to buy back your car and you can go ahead and sell it

Cyberschmoops

First Name
Schmoops
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Foundation
Country flag
If they decline to buy it back, that is your permission to sell. They cannot have it both ways. You certainly do not have to give a reason. It is either, buy it back, or not, essentially a right of first refusal. The clause itself is questionable at best, legally. As many have noted, likely meant to be a deterrent, and nothing more.

Dmayo305

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S, 2023 Model X, Awaiting VIN for CT
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
On the agreement there is the arbitration email address for Tesla . Email them and you’ll get a reply within 48 hours telling you that they don’t want to buy back your car and you can go ahead and sell it
I emailed them about the powershare hardware BS, requesting they either give me the hardware or pay me the retail value of the hardware via cash or even an enduring credit in the Tesla store. They have yet to reply. I requested a reply today, if I do not get one within a week I'm having my lawyer draw up some paperwork to mail via certified mail. I've had continual registration paperwork issues, and my truck has spent more time in the shop than being driven. I'm sick and tired of the $500B+ company with the best selling vehicle still behaving like a startup when it comes to customer service.

Sandman1962

First Name
Sel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S , Model X
Country flag
I really like the CT Beast. No doubt.

I have been feeling the same way and this feeling is building slowly. And that feeling is of being disregarded. At first, promised a new Gateway and a Universal wall connector and $4000 of electrical work - only to have all that reduced to vouchers of really minimal value. Then the price of FSD dropping several thousand dollars. And the “premium accessories“ really amounting to very little. I’ve received no information about ever receiving FSD or other features promised.

Am I a whining complainer? No. I want to be treated like a valued adult supporter of Tesla who values the “mission.”

What could Tesla do to change my feelings? Give me some value… First of all, communicate and give me some idea about when I will get FSD. If I’m not getting the hardware and $4000 of electrical work, give me that value in vouchers. If the price of FSD drops thousands of dollars (literally in days) give me something else or refund some the price difference. As it stands, I feel a bit of “bait and switch.”

When first we bought a Tesla, we got little niceties like a mug, umbrella, pen… Great little trinkets. Now I feel they are taking big things away from an ardent supporter.

For instance, what would be valuable to me? I’d love Full unlimited free supercharging. Pipe dream ? Maybe not. Just for the Foundation Beasts (or ok, all Foundation purchasers). After all, we did pay the $20k premium and received very little in return.

Can Tesla make it right? They can do anything they set their minds to.

Killlbox

First Name
Stacy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Subaru Forrester Sport
Occupation
Biotech
Country flag
I really like the CT Beast. No doubt.

I have been feeling the same way and this feeling is building slowly. And that feeling is of being disregarded. At first, promised a new Gateway and a Universal wall connector and $4000 of electrical work - only to have all that reduced to vouchers of really minimal value. Then the price of FSD dropping several thousand dollars. And the “premium accessories“ really amounting to very little. I’ve received no information about ever receiving FSD or other features promised.

Am I a whining complainer? No. I want to be treated like a valued adult supporter of Tesla who values the “mission.”

What could Tesla do to change my feelings? Give me some value… First of all, communicate and give me some idea about when I will get FSD. If I’m not getting the hardware and $4000 of electrical work, give me that value in vouchers. If the price of FSD drops thousands of dollars (literally in days) give me something else or refund some the price difference. As it stands, I feel a bit of “bait and switch.”

When first we bought a Tesla, we got little niceties like a mug, umbrella, pen… Great little trinkets. Now I feel they are taking big things away from an ardent supporter.

For instance, what would be valuable to me? I’d love Full unlimited free supercharging. Pipe dream ? Maybe not. Just for the Foundation Beasts (or ok, all Foundation purchasers). After all, we did pay the $20k premium and received very little in return.

Can Tesla make it right? They can do anything they set their minds to.
First off, apologies if my post is off topic here. The Cybertruck is my first Tesla so I'm a little new to the company.

I got the configuration email at the beginning of March and a few days later got a call from a Tesla employee in Denver inviting my husband and I to come to the store to see one in person and test drive an X which was the closest car to the Cybertruck they had available at the time. He spent at least 2 hours with us and walked us through the process of configuring a Beast and gave us his cell phone number in case we had further questions. We've asked him a few questions over the last month and he's always been very responsive.

Did we just happen to get a top notch customer service rep? It's a little concerning that so many people are having issues with Tesla customer service.
Sponsored