Should Tesla 're-design the wheel' for CyberTruck?

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Does anyone here have any real world experience using airless tires on a car?
Yep me. They suck and work heaps better if you patch the hole and put some air into them. ;) 😋 :ROFLMAO:
Sponsored

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I was going to reply with a similar statement and then I saw that Elon already said the same thing.

Basically, the modern pneumatic radial has incredible engineering in terms of traction in a wide variety of terrain and applications, economy of rolling resistance, efficiency and, properly used and maintained, excellent reliability. The abuse they put up with is nothing short of astounding. The way they improve comfort and need little attention other than mainting suitable air pressure for the application is commendable.

No one has been able to engineer a better solution and I think it's unlikely over the next decade. Sure, tires will continue to improve and evolve, just as they have over the last 100 plus years, but it's going to be really hard to find something completely different that is as versatile and reliable and offers the same performance.

I'm a tire guy and always buy tires based upon which qualities I need most. I typically want a good general purpose tire that performs more than adequately for all intended uses and excels at the most common uses. I will switch out tires seasonally but I don't want to have to change tires just because I'm going to be more on-road or more off-road than usual. I never buy a tire for looks or image. What strikes me is how many people are nervous about flats. My strategy is to not get flats, and, if I do, I fix it. I avoid carrying a spare and would only do so in some of the most remote regions of the globe. If I can fix it myself on the trail or get it replaced in one or two days on those extremely seldom occasions when I might get a flat that is not self-repairable, it was worth all the years of not carrying a spare with me. The goal is to have fun and explore new places, not get yourself into a bind. This is a learned skill and I know this because I keep meeting people who shoot themselves in the foot and invite problems.

Invariably, someone is going to bring up being 40 miles into the desert wilderness with temperatures over 100 degrees and no cell service. Guess what? I avoid getting into that situation. If it's going to be over 100 degrees, and I'm that far in the wilderness, I have already made a major tactical error. That is not a "fun" trip to me. I avoid creating drama like that and I don't give up much to do it. I plan trips that are going to fun. I don't like 100 plus degree heat in the middle of nowhere so if I find myself there I really fuct up!

In my experience, tires have reached the point of extreme reliability when you have appropriate tires and use them properly and fix the most common failures. Never penny pinch on tires, particularly if you require superior reliability.
I mostly agree that tyres are already highly optimised but I don't agree that you can work around not having a spare onboard.

Here in rural WA we have gas stations hundreds of miles apart, and tyre shops even further. And we work in 100F to repair gear that needs to continue to function and need to get there independently of others, because there is no one else. Not having a spare is simply not an option for people that need to operate and work in remote locations, no matter how well you plan.

Sure if you only access these locations for recreation purposes you can choose not to go, or not to carry a spare, but many of us don't have the luxury to choose the conditions of travel, for those its simply a must.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Yep me. They suck and work heaps better if you patch the hole and put some air into them. ;) 😋 :ROFLMAO:
I’m the off-roader who goes places, anywhere, everywhere and pushes boundaries where a vehicle can go – what it can do. Bought a puncture kit - 20yrs. ago. Have yet to use it.
Replaced many a tyre sidewall puncture, sidewall cut, tread slice and one blowout. SO it’ll be a racked spare(fullsize). Thems the cost of doin’ business if you’re wheelin’.
CT steering links are probably the new spares too.

OP
OP
go99s

go99s

First Name
Go99s
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Camper shell or some kind of tent will have to wait until some insider shows us what many people are hoping are attachment points on the top edges of the bed and roof. I haven't seen what's under those phantom rectangles but hopefully they're solid mounting points for at least racks for a rooftop tent and possible something like the rigid tent structure shown when the CT was released. My problem is I like to cook on gas when camping but the CT is going to make me think differently, looking at proper electric ranges. Propane tanks are required to have outside ventilation so I'm not sure where a propane tank would even go.
I have tried to develop my own concept of a CT Camper, (my other thread details my endeavors!) but my second iteration does not rely upon anything other than the CT bed and approximate exterior shape. See the attached render...

Tesla Cybertruck Should Tesla 're-design the wheel' for CyberTruck? Google_Maps_shortcut.JPG

It all packs into the CT bed so that the tonneau cover can still be closed, no requirement for those mounting points. Sleeps four, two double bed mattresses, one in the bed and one over the roof apex.
Now you might be able to imagine me touring Europe?
I will make one, at least for me and my family...
Kind regards, Go99s.

Last edited:

Deleted member 12457

I have tried to develop my own concept of a CT Camper, (my other thread details my endeavors!) but my second iteration does not rely upon anything other than the CT bed and approximate exterior shape. See the attached render...

Google_Maps_shortcut.JPG

It all packs into the CT bed so that the tonneau cover can still be closed, no requirement for those mounting points. Sleeps four, two double bed mattresses, one in the bed and one over the roof apex.
Now you might be able to imagine me touring Europe?
I will make one, at least for me and my family...
Kind regards, Go99s.
Good luck but this design won't work for me. I have a "soft" roof-top tent for camping in Washington and Oregon but would need a "hard" side camping shell when I finally get back into British Columbia where there are bears and rules that don't allow the use of tents unless you're inside a protected area. I only have to deal with one or two people so I'll end up with a smaller enclosure mounted on top of the CT using a rack connected to the mounting(?) spots. This way I can put all my camping gear inside the bed with the tonneau cover closed. Grizzlies can get into almost anything but being 6-ft+ off the ground and a secure bed might allow me to use a soft side roof-top tent. Here's what my Tacoma looks like. Externally mounted propane tank might work on the back upright on the CT. I'd make the rack road level although it might be interesting to try and make it collapsible when not in use for better aerodynamics. I'm hoping CT's air shocks will help me level the CT.

Tesla Cybertruck Should Tesla 're-design the wheel' for CyberTruck? IMG_3396

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Good luck but this design won't work for me. I have a "soft" roof-top tent for camping in Washington and Oregon but would need a "hard" side camping shell when I finally get back into British Columbia where there are bears and rules that don't allow the use of tents unless you're inside a protected area. I only have to deal with one or two people so I'll end up with a smaller enclosure mounted on top of the CT using a rack connected to the mounting(?) spots. This way I can put all my camping gear inside the bed with the tonneau cover closed. Grizzlies can get into almost anything but being 6-ft+ off the ground and a secure bed might allow me to use a soft side roof-top tent. Here's what my Tacoma looks like. Externally mounted propane tank might work on the back upright on the CT. I'd make the rack road level although it might be interesting to try and make it collapsible when not in use for better aerodynamics. I'm hoping CT's air shocks will help me level the CT.

IMG_3396.png
I like the built in basketball hoop. 😋

Don't forget drop bears can climb tho, mate. ;)

Tesla Cybertruck Should Tesla 're-design the wheel' for CyberTruck? p9kc2mcr-1362005197 (1)

Deleted member 12457

I like the built in basketball hoop. 😋

Don't forget drop bears can climb tho, mate. ;)

p9kc2mcr-1362005197 (1).jpg
I need exercise so always take my basketball hoop. ;-)

Had to look up the drop bear, which I see was a legendary Koala bear. In Canada grizzlies are the only ones to worry about although mountain lions might visit us. Black bears climb trees but they usually go after the easy dumpsters and idiots who leave their food on the picnic table.Grizzlies, on the other hand, are very large, especially when standing up so 6-ft is not out of the question, which is why I either put food in a bear proof (haha) container or the back of my truck (Diamondback HD tonneau cover) although if they're hungry enough they could probably tear through the Tacoma stamped, cheap steel.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I need exercise so always take my basketball hoop. ;-)

Had to look up the drop bear, which I see was a legendary Koala bear. In Canada grizzlies are the only ones to worry about although mountain lions might visit us. Black bears climb trees but they usually go after the easy dumpsters and idiots who leave their food on the picnic table.Grizzlies, on the other hand, are very large, especially when standing up so 6-ft is not out of the question, which is why I either put food in a bear proof (haha) container or the back of my truck (Diamondback HD tonneau cover) although if they're hungry enough they could probably tear through the Tacoma stamped, cheap steel.
I'll bear that in mind when I come visit Canada with my CT next year. 😋

I have a SS solid sidewall pop-up camper design for the CT I'm hoping to bring with to market in the US/Canada. Might have to do some bear vs metal tests in a National park.

I wonder if the external speaker can be used as a bear/animal audio repeller. Would be good for mozzies too. Maybe use FSD vision to recognise them and do a light show with the matrix lights as well the audio. Might be handy in general as a vermin/thief deterrent.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I know of no laws or liability against pop-up camping that doesn't also apply to a hard-sided camper.

A brown or grizzly bear just as easily tears into a hard sided camp as they do a soft-sided one. Your RV is only a deterrent if it can move away. (Which is how most portable bear vaults work: they're shaped that bear is more likely to play football with it than open it)

-Crissa

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I know of no laws or liability against pop-up camping that doesn't also apply to a hard-sided camper.

A brown or grizzly bear just as easily tears into a hard sided camp as they do a soft-sided one. Your RV is only a deterrent if it can move away. (Which is how most portable bear vaults work: they're shaped that bear is more likely to play football with it than open it)

-Crissa
But 3mm Stainless? :cool:

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
I'm waiting for Lance to develop truck camper for CT.

I was hoping to do camping to Canada and then do trans-Alaska and learn from that F150 Lightning experience in their trans Alaska to North Shore. Found out it's useless benchmark as they'll be shadowed by a Ford Ecoboost to provide charging.

For grizzly and the two-leg kind, I carry a 45 ACP -- heavy but I'm too lazy to do a 2nd shot. 😈

Last edited:

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
I mostly agree that tyres are already highly optimised but I don't agree that you can work around not having a spare onboard.

Here in rural WA we have gas stations hundreds of miles apart, and tyre shops even further. And we work in 100F to repair gear that needs to continue to function and need to get there independently of others, because there is no one else. Not having a spare is simply not an option for people that need to operate and work in remote locations, no matter how well you plan.

Sure if you only access these locations for recreation purposes you can choose not to go, or not to carry a spare, but many of us don't have the luxury to choose the conditions of travel, for those its simply a must.
Most Cybertruck owners will never drive a single mile in rural Western Australia.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ahh, well, my spouse loves 100 degree days, so... That's where she takes us.

-Crissa
That would be grounds for divorce in my book! No way, no how! I've experienced enough 100 plus degree weather to want to search it out!

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
For grizzly and the two-leg kind, I carry a 45 ACP -- heavy but I'm too lazy to do a 2nd shot. 😈
If you are too lazy to take a second shot at a grizzly, for the love of God, please don't take the first one. I don't care if your handgun is super-duper macho and neither does the grizzly. The low velocity and relatively large caliber of the .45 ACP makes it a poor choice when it comes to stopping a mature grizzly, so shot placement is still key. It can work but it would be one of my last choices. Another marginal round like 9 mm would be a better choice because it will have more follow up shots and it's easier to get good shot placement with multiple rounds. But I wouldn't mess around with a 9mm either unless it's all I had with me at the time, neither one are considered good grizzly protection.
Sponsored