Should Tesla 're-design the wheel' for CyberTruck?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
That would be grounds for divorce in my book! No way, no how! I've experienced enough 100 plus degree weather to want to search it out!
She lets me get creative with the insulation and carry as much water as I need. It's why I have a solar set and a 134 amp hour LFP battery in a Mazda 3.

If I didn't indulge her, she wouldn't indulge me ^-^

-Crissa
Sponsored

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Most Cybertruck owners will never drive a single mile in rural Western Australia.
You'd be surprised how many Aussies have them on order. It's coming for sure. When is a different question.

But that doesn't avoid the main point of my argument re spare. If you need it for work and not recreation, you can't choose when you need to use it as easily as saying I'm going to stay home.

OP
OP
go99s

go99s

First Name
Go99s
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
How come both of my two threads end up being dominated by discussions about BEARS???
What percentage of even CTOC is ever likely to have to deal with a bear, let alone the rest of the world!
Give me a break guys...

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
How come both of my two threads end up being dominated by discussions about BEARS???
What percentage of even CTOC is ever likely to have to deal with a bear, let alone the rest of the world!
Give me a break guys...
Because you mention your pop up soft camper that is apparently not compatible with bears?
That is of course unless you intend to feed them. 😬

Morning Star

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2077 Tesla Cybertruck

OP
OP
go99s

go99s

First Name
Go99s
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Because you mention your pop up soft camper that is apparently not compatible with bears?
That is of course unless you intend to feed them. 😬
OK, guilty as charged ; ) but I'll leave the feeding of bears to North Americans, in Thailand its mosquito's that feast on me and in the UK, I can't think of anything, except maybe bankers!

Still waiting for that nugget of genius from CTOC members that might get Tesla to actually look at the hub, wheel, tyre combo?

I'm still thinking that there could be something that enables a fabulous on-road efficiency with an off-road performance competence when required from the same item. A pneumatic tyre is unlikely to do so, but an air-less one with speed-related shape shifting from the 'wheel' element could do. For example, the outer structure of the wheel spokes could result in them directing their rotational mass towards pushing out the central road optimised section of treads to reduce the contact area and thus behave more like a 'steel wheel tyre' at higher speeds but leave the softer outer section almost in contact with smooth pavement at lower speeds. On softer terrain, the lugs and outer tread pattern engage despite the central section protruding fractionally more so. You don't typically drive at 60mph off-road!!!

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Give me a break guys...
I spend a lot of time in the woods in places where bears are common.

I suspect very few folks who spend a lot of time in the woods worry overmuch about bear attacks. Only reason bears break into vehicles is to get at food. Don’t keep food in your truck… Voila! Your truck is bear proof!

The only bears that bother me are the ones on Wall Street.

Morning Star

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2077 Tesla Cybertruck
Still waiting for that nugget of genius from CTOC members that might get Tesla to actually look at the hub, wheel, tyre combo?
You might be happy to hear Joe Rogan asked Elon Musk about airless tires on his podcast show.

tl;dw: It’s not easy and probably not feasible yet.

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
That would be grounds for divorce in my book! No way, no how! I've experienced enough 100 plus degree weather to want to search it out!
Don't go camping in Pinnacles National Park in summer where where temperature swings by 46 degrees and just going out of the RV even mid morning is hell. And we thought we can do a little hiking.

Death Valley is definitely fall and Las Vegas is just passing through.

AlexD

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus 460LS, Model 3 dm, Mustang Boss 302, F150,
Occupation
retired Building Contractor
Country flag
To follow on from firsttruck's comments:

Tyre deformation, that is how much the tyre changes shape around the contact patch to the ground, is the primary cause of rolling resistance. Hence a steel train wheel on a steel rail has less such deformation and therefore less rolling resistance.

Airless tyres are predominantly a gimmick for off road use only where punctures are a problem. Anything caught in the side wall openings of those airless tyre will cause such a imbalance in the wheel at highway speeds that the vibrations would make it un-driveable.

A much better option is CTIS (Central Tyre Inflation System) where you can change and refill air in pneumatic tyres. Tesla apparently poached Mercedes Unimogs CTIS engineer and made some patents recently, so I'm super hopeful we'll see it, at least as an option on the CT because it is a game changer.

CTIS solves a bunch of problems with tyres.

Punctures, adapting tyre pressures to terrain and surface conditions, flotation for sand and snow, optimal pressure for highway cruise rolling resistance, adaptability to vehicle loads per wheel etc.

But there is limited scope for using tyre air pressure to deform tyres to the degree required to change the part of the contact patch of the tyre with the road that exposes different tread patterns. The reason is that most modern tyres are designed to have fairly rigid sidewalls and a flat tread across the bottom. You can embed some extra tread on the sidewall so when you deflate it for offroad, but otherwise its fairly limited on road.

I remember a while back someone suggesting the same sort of thing to improve wheels and tyres to EM, and his response was that they are already highly optimised and in particular cost effective components, that can only be incrementally improved.

In saying that I had some ideas around how to "reinvent the wheel" some decades ago, but never got it is past an simple proof of concept. It was a combination of flapping "flying carpet", hovercraft and alternating track deformation that combined the best properties of each, that used the incoming air underneath the vehicle as a air cushion, and also as a skirt to provide traction as required. Anyways, something for another day. 🙂
When comparing a train and a truck freewheeling to a stop, doesn't the difference it weight, (therefore difference in kinetic energy) play a big part?

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
When comparing a train and a truck freewheeling to a stop, doesn't the difference it weight, (therefore difference in kinetic energy) play a big part?
Rolling resistance is a term used to describe the force required to overcome the moving parts of the wheel over a surface.

Free wheeling, or coasting to a stop, is the process of reducing the vehicles potential energy by converting it's kinetic energy into other forms of energy, by way of rolling and aerodynamic resistance.

So in comparison the exact same vehicle mass would roll further on a rail with steel wheels than on a road with rubber wheels. This is because the rolling resistance is less.

For example: If it where aerodynamic drag imagine one had a sail (the road) and one didn't (the rail) and which one would stop first.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Give me a break guys...

Tesla Cybertruck Should Tesla 're-design the wheel' for CyberTruck? 1663654422947

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
If you are too lazy to take a second shot at a grizzly, for the love of God, please don't take the first one. I don't care if your handgun is super-duper macho and neither does the grizzly. The low velocity and relatively large caliber of the .45 ACP makes it a poor choice when it comes to stopping a mature grizzly, so shot placement is still key. It can work but it would be one of my last choices. Another marginal round like 9 mm would be a better choice because it will have more follow up shots and it's easier to get good shot placement with multiple rounds. But I wouldn't mess around with a 9mm either unless it's all I had with me at the time, neither one are considered good grizzly protection.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
Give me a break guys...
If I were you, and I'm not, I would be overjoyed that they weren't bears of the TSLAQ type!

Not only is it worse if your thread is taken over by TSLAQ bears, but it's also more common.

I've been around a lot of bears in the wild, most often at distances of 50-100 yards but several times as close as 10-30 feet, both Grizzlies and Black Bears. Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Alaska, California, they are all over. It seems like N. American bear populations are increasing so it won't be uncommon for people that use their Cybertruck for recreating to find themselves around bears.
Sponsored