Snow rating on All Terrain Tires for Dual Motor Foundation Series Cybertruck?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
What about tire compound? I'm most concerned about icy conditions. I assumed that 3peak would have the softer winter rater rubber compound, which would work better on ice, right?
Yes. Tho every brand's specific solution is slightly different.

-Crissa
Sponsored

OP
OP
swinefeaster

swinefeaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Awd
Country flag
So what do we know about the AT tires that come with the ct? Worse than blizzaks I bet right?

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
They don't appear to be winter-rated, no.

-Crissa
I think we have seen the Goodyear tires for the Cybertruck in two versions, one with the mountain peaks/snowflake logo, and one without. I don't remember where, but I swear I saw at least one of the Cybertruck reviews with video footage of the three peaks/snowflake symbol. But the image from the Tesla store for the spare clearly doesn't have the three peaks/snowflake logo.

Of course, neither are true winter tires because you can run both versions year-round.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So what do we know about the AT tires that come with the ct? Worse than blizzaks I bet right?
Blizzak makes true winter tires. Of course, the icon does not mean it's a true winter tire (although all winter tires have the icon). Obviously, in winter conditions, a true winter Blizzak tire will outperform a tire that is not a true winter tire, even if it happens to have the three peaks/snowflake icon on the sidewall.

The situation in the U.S. was made uneccessarily confusing by those involved. I don't think an official designation for a true winter tire even exists. Instead, we get this mountain icon that even tires that are crappy in the snow and ice can legally display. The same logo is found on true winter tires that are exceptional in snow and ice, so there is no easy way for consumers to tell the difference between the two.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What about tire compound? I'm most concerned about icy conditions. I assumed that 3peak would have the softer winter rater rubber compound, which would work better on ice, right?
Sadly, the 3peak icon does not designate a true winter rubber compound, only that it has demonstrated the ability to accelerate 10% faster, on whatever winter surface standard use, than whatever baseline tire they use. It's a BS rating.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The situation in the U.S. was made uneccessarily confusing by those involved. I don't think an official designation for a true winter tire even exists. Instead, we get this mountain icon that even tires that are crappy in the snow and ice can legally display. The same logo is found on true winter tires that are exceptional in snow and ice, so there is no easy way for consumers to tell the difference between the two.
Got a source for that?

I'm actually curious. Getting tire stats that aren't based on 'feelings' lately has been tough. As far as I can tell, my four season winter rated tired drove about as poorly in the summer heat as I'd expect in the winter, and while I could feel the black ice under them coming down Siskiyou pass, I didn't actually slip. But then I stopped and waited for it to melt anyhow. Fog plus ice at dawn is just double unfun, I just took a nap instead.

-Crissa

Merle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MS, 4Runner, Tundra, Lexus, R1200GSA, KTM, etc.
Country flag
I live in a place where 3PMSF is enough.

Typically we get about 300" of snow, and temperatures that drop below freezing. It's not flat, so we have the need to grip as several of our roads exceed 6% grade (9% isn't unusual). You don't want to fight with chains because you could be dropping from 7300' down to a valley floor at 4200' where it's clear.

In addition, I've put on >30,000 miles in a year so using "spikes" or "studs" makes no sense. A dedicated winter tire will simply burn out as you head 200 miles in any direction, dramatically increasing wear due to the soft rubber compound.

So if you're looking for a long-distance tire, something that will handle most snow (R2/R3) chain conditions, plus get you out of a drive way so you can plow it, just get the 3PMSF tires.

Forecast this weekend ... Blizzard conditions, 4-8 feet of snow and 100 MPH wind gusts.