Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
No laws here, but the one HOA attempt to prevent people installing them was big news and they were bombarded with bad PR and hate calls. They changed their minds. I like the AZ brand of anarchy and vigilantism.

Our HOA has a requirement to run them by the architectural committee if they will be street visible, but they don't enforce it against the tiny holders like what I and most of my neighbors have done. The mobile charger hangs in the garage and the cord goes on a $10 Amazon holder.

Tesla Cybertruck So, Let's Talk About Size Again... 1649953550312
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Gotta make laws if the stubborn ones dig in. Which, because California, they do. The NIMBYs don't live here 'cause they're poor.

-Crissa

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
No laws here, but the one HOA attempt to prevent people installing them was big news and they were bombarded with bad PR and hate calls. They changed their minds. I like the AZ brand of anarchy and vigilantism.

Our HOA has a requirement to run them by the architectural committee if they will be street visible, but they don't enforce it against the tiny holders like what I and most of my neighbors have done. The mobile charger hangs in the garage and the cord goes on a $10 Amazon holder.

1649953550312.jpeg
Right. If they go after that, they would have to after the garden hose and hose reels.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
Right. If they go after that, they would have to after the garden hose and hose reels.
Not exactly right, because there are specific allowances for some hose and reel placements in the CC&Rs (size and color options). There were no EV chargers mentioned at all. The letter of the law says they could ding people, they absolutely know they should not. This is not a nazi HOA, rather reasonable.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
As it is, driveway parking is "discouraged" but not banned. Since both of my garages are shop and motorcycle space, four-wheelers can't fit in them. So outside parking/charging at all times. Most not-crazy people put their chargers and cars indoors.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag

1649953550312.jpeg
If you drive around the neighborhood, free charging if they do not answer the doorbell.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
LOL!! And actually, many of us have allowed new owners to use them until we can help them install something. None of our garages have 240v, so it's always something to install. But...nearly all the house designs here have the panel on the garage wall. So one little poke, and some wire, and a 14-30 recep, done. $50.

Teslas are like roaches in my area now. I've sold five. The only thing keeping most people from buying is FUD, and seeing me use mine live sold them.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
It’s like a sausage grinder.

Auto companies are going into this… something is coming out the other side. It’s not going to be very pleasant going through it and we’re not entirely sure what it’s going to be like in the end.

There will probably be cars with “Chevrolet” on the side of them in 10 years. Whether they are part of a big Stellantis type conglomerate, thin fronts for largely Chinese companies, or indie remains to be seen. One thing we know is sitting Presidents don’t like to have iconic “American” brands go under. There is also a lot of value in the trademarks and brand loyalty.

I‘m sure Mary Barra and Jim Farley will come out smelling like roses one way or the other.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
He could.

But he couldn’t. Like mentally couldn’t.
EMs definition of a company is as a "child". Not something you walk away from, and if you do it's because its all grown up and can fend for itself.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
If you drive around the neighborhood, free charging if they do not answer the doorbell.
My cabin's driveway charging kiosk is available to anyone driving by. I don't have a sign saying it's free but If they need the electricity so badly they don't want the convenience of plugging in at their own driveway, they can have it. I figure they would have to be pretty desperate to want to park away from their home for hours just to scrounge up $3-$5 worth of electricity. It's cheap to charge an EV.

My water hose is the same way. If someone wanted to pull up their water truck and fill the tank with my water, nothing is stopping them. Just like with the charging, they are going to have to park there for a few hours to get any significant value out of it. Come to think of it, I have an outside hot shower on my unsecured deck. A stranger could just help themself to a nice 30 minute hot shower at my expense. I would never know.

My Model 3 Performance has free Supercharging for life and I drive right by a Supercharger on the route between my home and cabin multiple times every month. But I never stop and top up with some free DC fast charging because it's not worth my time. It's so much easier to let it charge while parked at my home or cabin.

Now, if someone had an unsecured gas pump in their driveway, look out! Because gas costs real money and puts a big dent in most peoples monthly budget! When the storage tank was approaching empty it would be necessary to call up the fuel delivery truck and have the driver stop by and fill it. That costs real money, partly because a truck and driver's time is valuable and would also need to burn more fuel to deliver the fuel. Electricity just zooms effortlessly over skinny little wires.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
A lot of people list their outside chargers on the charging apps with "free," or with something like "leave $2." Most seem happy to do so and I never saw a problem posted. I'd list mine if I were in town, but I'm too far out there to be useful to anyone outside my own neighborhood.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
A lot of people list their outside chargers on the charging apps with "free," or with something like "leave $2." Most seem happy to do so and I never saw a problem posted. I'd list mine if I were in town, but I'm too far out there to be useful to anyone outside my own neighborhood.
If it's at street level, even that is useful. Short-range EVs (like my Zero) are always scrounging for a place to charge when visiting outside my usual commute.

-Crissa
Sponsored