CyberT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
Service Technician
Country flag
That's silly. Supercharging costs an average of around twice as much as home charging. For under $500 plus the Wall Connector I built this charge solution for the driveway of my ski cabin. If I had omitted the roof the entire project, from start to finish would have been under $150 (I already had the spare Wall Connector):
I am in total agreement with you about its totally fine to charge outdoors. In my specific case
I wish it could be that simple. I own a townhouse with a 1 car garage and no driveway. My 2nd parking spot is about 75' from the garage with 3 other parking spaces between, so even if I could run an extension cord, the other cars would be driving over it and people walking would be tripping all over it. The HOA may frown on that plan....

As you mentioned the roof was not necessary but you built it just because you could. That is what I am all about. The quality of workmanship shows and is a professional touch to something so simple as just recharging your EVs. Nice job!

SparkChaser

First Name
Leigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck Ticket Holder, Ford Ranger, Mini Coup
Occupation
Airline Inspector
Country flag
I live in the sunset and the garage is tiny, 7/8 of a normal car so I don't think Ill be parking the CT there. Spaces on the street will be challenging as swell. Most of my charging will be done at work, Highly discounted charging rates with lots of stations so all good. My commute is short (22 miles roundtrip per day) so maybe charging once a week and probably just before the weekend so I can go places.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
Yeah, if you can't charge at home, SC is still better than gas. I have it easy charging in the driveway. Our electric rates are super low, so SC is actually 6x-10x more than home. In some places, SC is barely more than home.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I am in total agreement with you about its totally fine to charge outdoors. In my specific case
I wish it could be that simple. I own a townhouse with a 1 car garage and no driveway. My 2nd parking spot is about 75' from the garage with 3 other parking spaces between, so even if I could run an extension cord, the other cars would be driving over it and people walking would be tripping all over it. The HOA may frown on that plan....
State law in California requires the HOA to allow you to build charging infrastructure.

So it may be possible to trench in some charging points.

-Crissa

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
State law in California requires the HOA to allow you to build charging infrastructure.

So it may be possible to trench in some charging points.

-Crissa
Nice!

I would move if I couldn't charge EV's at home. That would really suck.

TAP1A

First Name
carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck tri motor, tesla 3 performance
Occupation
Digital Operations Engineer
Country flag
i hope it has a white interior option, that would be sick

Zabhawkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Nissan Frontier, 2015 F-150, 1984 Jeep CJ7
Country flag
Yeah, if you can't charge at home, SC is still better than gas. I have it easy charging in the driveway. Our electric rates are super low, so SC is actually 6x-10x more than home. In some places, SC is barely more than home.
A little equation to calculate the equivalent to gas prices

Eg = Equivalent vehicles fuel mileage rating
Wh = watt hours per mile for the electric
C = cost of electricity

Eg * C * Wh/1000 = The equivalent price if it was gas

Example
Our F-150 gets an average of 16, but 22 on the highway, our electric rates are $.13/kwh. Cybertruck is expected to be around 450wh/mile

16*.13*450/1000= $0.96/gallon

For highway SC is approx $.32/kwh in my area.

22*.32*450/1000= $3.16/gallon

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
Example
Our F-150 gets an average of 16, but 22 on the highway, our electric rates are $.13/kwh. Cybertruck is expected to be around 450wh/mile

16*.13*450/1000= $0.96/gallon

For highway SC is approx $.32/kwh in my area.

22*.32*450/1000= $3.16/gallon
I think Cybertruck will be closer to 390 wh/mile but we should know soon enough.

Also, Cybertruck can do a lot of highway miles without using the more expensive electricity at Superchargers so I don't think it's really equitable to use Supercharger rates to calculate economy on the highway. Road-tripping costs should be thought of in a separate category.

Even when I have a particularly long day and need to add some Supercharger miles, I often only plug in for 10-15 minutes (add only what's needed) so most of my electricity for the trip would still be calculated at the lower cost of residential electricity. Because I charge when I get home.

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Getting your $ per mile isn't so hard, either, but is more numbers:

(annual maintenance) / (annual miles) + (gas price) / mpg

That gets you a rough idea of the costs. Teslas have mostly every-other-year actual maintenance, the others are inspections (brakes annual and tires semi-annual) so as long as they don't take damage, they have very low maintenance.

For my Mazda it's about 1000/12000+4/31=21¢ vs 300/5000+0.31/10=9¢ for my Zero. Now that I'm only doing 6k a year in my Mazda, well... That lowers its annual maintenance to about half. And I just have been burning the monies on the bike, tires are nice to have.

-Crissa

Zabhawkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Nissan Frontier, 2015 F-150, 1984 Jeep CJ7
Country flag
Getting your $ per mile isn't so hard, either, but is more numbers:

(annual maintenance) / (annual miles) + (gas price) / mpg

That gets you a rough idea of the costs. Teslas have mostly every-other-year actual maintenance, the others are inspections (brakes annual and tires semi-annual) so as long as they don't take damage, they have very low maintenance.

For my Mazda it's about 1000/12000+4/31=21¢ vs 300/5000+0.31/10=9¢ for my Zero. Now that I'm only doing 6k a year in my Mazda, well... That lowers its annual maintenance to about half. And I just have been burning the monies on the bike, tires are nice to have.

-Crissa
When I first ordered the Cybertruck I did as much of an analysis as I could including insurance, oil changes purchase price and fuel cost for up to 20 years and compared it to what we currently own. The periodic maintenance difference really adds up as well.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
I track my vehicles rather precisely (or as friend say, anal-retentive, OCD, crazy), so I've been able to do spreadsheet predictions when I consider a new vehicle, and then the reality. The Tesla is just so ludicrously cheap. So much so that several friends have realized they need one. My neighbor drives 14k/year in his old pickup. He got a M3SR and went from nearly $400/mo in gas to something like $30/mo electric. He had two oil changes per year, plus all the other maintenance, and now...a cabin air filter every couple years, and simple things like checking the brakes (we can do those items).

On charging, I just coincidentally ran across this about CA apartment laws and chargers.

https://swjllp.com/electronic-vehic...-and-the-effect-of-civil-code-section-1952-7/