So something is wrong in Austin ... CyberTruck backlog

Cyberjam

First Name
Stotnova
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FS AWD named "Jerry", miniHummer EV (grandkids)
Occupation
Retired/sometime Rockstar
Country flag
The Cybertruck is much more of a novelty product than the Model X. Many of the people who are buying now are simply those who want the attention that owning a unique and expensive thing gives them. The Model X maxed out production in 2018 (28K units) and because of high price and low production volume it will always have some of that unique and expensive appeal.

With the high production numbers forecast (250K/yr), the Cybertruck won't be a novelty for long. Many have said that it isn't "truck people" buying the Cybertruck and I agree. Also, a $100 reservation is no indication of a take rate and with a much higher price and other unanticipated issues (size, range, fit and finish) the Cybertruck could be this generations Edsel ...

That comment will raise the ire of many zealots here but the success of this vehicle is far from a foregone conclusion.
I'ma go wit foregone.
Sponsored

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
admire your assessment - but not sure - time will tell.

- CT wont always cost 100k
- The interest rates WILL come down at some point
- CT will continue to improve, making it more and more competitive.
- I feel the greatest risk to CT longevity is (believe it or not) the opening up of Tesla supercharger network to other vehicles - Rivian, Ford, etc..
Time will prove the Edsel comment to be very short-sighted.

Opening the Supercharger Network is not a threat to CT adoption because Ford, Rivian, GM, etc. won't make enough electric trucks to matter. None of them can put out a competitive product, at a competitive price, in competitive volumes. When they lose more money the more they sell, they won't increase production.

Remember, Tesla was generally more cash flow positive the more they made. They refused to sell cars below the cost to produce (contrary to many misleading media articles). The same cannot be said of Rivian, Ford or GM.

OP
OP
MeadowShade

MeadowShade

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
Occupation
Business Owner / retired
Country flag
CT production restarts Monday morning and volume increases daily till Fri/Sat.

By Friday, final processing has fallen behind, and the increasing balance of CT's we see flooding the area is mostly cleared out on Sunday.

Not all vehicles go by train, the remnants we see on a Monday morning may not make up a full load to a particular destination.
So, what was the no backlog of CT’s piling up in Austin?
I started this thread and got plastered for suggesting that something COULD be wrong on Austin

CT delayed for accelerator relay issue. Hmmmm

M0unt41nm4n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Ford F350 Plat, 22 F150 Plat, 20 Jeep Gladiator
Country flag
In an unusual situation like this, perhaps Tesla can make an offer / option "to pick up the vehicle from GigaFactory" - Tesla saves on transport (assuming dealer doesnt need to do too much prep - or do the prep in Texas) and CTs fly off the lot....

Can anyone think of anything wrong with this? Tesla should just offer people "hey you can come to Texas to pick it up"....

I would even be willing to forfeit the delivery charge I already am willing to pay for...

1712760642359-zw.png
Yep. Many states have laws protecting “dealerships” from out of state sales to under cut local dealerships. Tesla had to do a lot of bobbing and weaving to get away with having direct sales allowed. In fact in New Mexico, the laws are so strict, they had to put Tesla facilities on Native American land. I called Tesla and asked if I could get delivery in New Mexico or even Austin (I’m Colorado based). They said no. They said the laws of states regarding dealership protections and dealer licensing prevents them from doing cross state border sales for the most part. If you look around and ask those who picked up in other states, you will find a majority registered those vehicles in the delivery state. I’m sure there were exceptions, but they mostly stick to that rule.

OP
OP
MeadowShade

MeadowShade

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
Occupation
Business Owner / retired
Country flag
They accumulate on the west side delivery lot over the course of the week, and dissipate over the weekend. There could be a bottleneck with available transport trucks/drivers, but those CyberTrucks do move on over the course of the week. And note that while I've seen up to 8 Model Ys on a transport truck, Tesla seems to be only putting 4 CTs max on each hauler. So, just by that point alone, twice as many transporter runs would be needed to move the same number of CTs.
If there were an extra few hundred more "left over" each Monday I would be concerned. But I have not seen that yet. JMHO.
Have we seen now that CT’s are on the dirt because not enough room for storage??

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
So, what was the no backlog of CT’s piling up in Austin?
I started this thread and got plastered for suggesting that something COULD be wrong on Austin

CT delayed for accelerator relay issue. Hmmmm
Sorry you got plastered Frank, don't drink so much :LOL:

You were right, there was an issue, clearly causing a delay, but from what I could tell, it looked mainly business as usual.

I watch all the flyovers, Saturdays Flyovers the place is flooded with CT's.. by Monday's Flyover the place is 90% cleared up. The pattern didn't change.

BTW, Brad Sloans Sat vid (yday) has more CT's than I have ever seen, maybe production has kicked up another gear, or it could well be the shortage. Looking forward to Joe's Monday flyover.
Tesla Cybertruck So something is wrong in Austin ... CyberTruck backlog 1713085068261-

Tesla Cybertruck So something is wrong in Austin ... CyberTruck backlog 1713085107970-2d

Tesla Cybertruck So something is wrong in Austin ... CyberTruck backlog 1713085201985-1

Last edited:

AlDente

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, Model 3 (2), Model X
Country flag
I think many here are missing some points. The Tesla brain trust (Elon, Franz and Hans) are not truck guys. The "tough truck" argument doesn't wash with work truck people who don't give a damn about scratches or door dings. They use their trucks for work and the SS skin of the cybertruck is susceptible to scratching and other finish issues. Putting a wrap on a work truck is well, stupid.

The guys (mostly) who have show pony trucks often accessorize to create the image they want to project. The Cybertruck's all look the same and re-skinning it with wrap is about all you can do. Comparing the CYbertruck to a RAM Tough, Big Horn gas guzzler is like bringing a nerdy, flat chested girl to a wet tee-shirt contest ... e.g. no sale.

SteelMyHeart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I think many here are missing some points. The Tesla brain trust (Elon, Franz and Hans) are not truck guys. The "tough truck" argument doesn't wash with work truck people who don't give a damn about scratches or door dings. They use their trucks for work and the SS skin of the cybertruck is susceptible to scratching and other finish issues. Putting a wrap on a work truck is well, stupid.

The guys (mostly) who have show pony trucks often accessorize to create the image they want to project. The Cybertruck's all look the same and re-skinning it with wrap is about all you can do. Comparing the CYbertruck to a RAM Tough, Big Horn gas guzzler is like bringing a nerdy, flat chested girl to a wet tee-shirt contest ... e.g. no sale.

I think Tesla analyzed the market and saw that the vast majority of ICE truck owners don't do heavy duty work or towing with their trucks. However, I know plenty of King ranch f150 owners and luxury ram owners who don't want a shopping cart near their truck exterior. I would also ne willing to wager that 90+% of lift kits for ICE trucks are never used for off-roading but rather to portray an image. Telsa then said let's make the exterior tough so people dont worry about dents and give it steer by wire to make it easier to drive in the most common setting of urban driving.

I personally love the look of the truck and while I wish price was lower the awd range is what the dual motor range was on unveiling, the issue is the price.

I do give kudos to Telsa as they are probably the only car company since covid hit to consistently reduce prices. I am too excited to get the truck to wait for price to go down and I can use the powershare.

I think the macho mystique behind ICE trucks is mostly a mirage. Home depot runs are the most truck things that f150s and rams do as well.

M0unt41nm4n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Ford F350 Plat, 22 F150 Plat, 20 Jeep Gladiator
Country flag
However, I know plenty of King ranch f150 owners and luxury ram owners who don't want a shopping cart near their truck exterior.
Haha… I’m one of those guys. I tow with mine… but I park far away when I go shopping so I don’t get dings on my vehicle. When I traded in my RAM 3500 Dually, the sales manager said “Congratulations… that’s the cleanest 10yo truck I have seen. Not a single ding on it.”

SlegMD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus
Occupation
Physical therapy
Country flag
They accumulate on the west side delivery lot over the course of the week, and dissipate over the weekend. There could be a bottleneck with available transport trucks/drivers, but those CyberTrucks do move on over the course of the week. And note that while I've seen up to 8 Model Ys on a transport truck, Tesla seems to be only putting 4 CTs max on each hauler. So, just by that point alone, twice as many transporter runs would be needed to move the same number of CTs.
If there were an extra few hundred more "left over" each Monday I would be concerned. But I have not seen that yet. JMHO.
They should allow pickup from Gigatexas
Sponsored