Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Retired Army 1975-1997
Country flag
SparkCharge Introduces 'The Roadie' Portable EV Charging System
Tesla Cybertruck SparkCharge Introduces ‘The Roadie’ Portable EV Charging System 1602422032685

Oct 10, 2020 23h ago
+
Tesla Cybertruck SparkCharge Introduces ‘The Roadie’ Portable EV Charging System tom-moloughney

By: Tom Moloughney

Portable on-demand power for roadside assistance.
SparkCharge, the Massachusetts-based startup has introduced the latest version of its portable electric vehicle DC fast charger, called the Roadie. The new product was announced today in what the company called its first annual "SparkDay" event.
A lot has changed since we first covered SparkeCharge back in April. At the time, they had recently raised $3.3 million in seed round financing and were planning on scaling up manufacturing of the 20 kW portable DC fast-charge system that's primarily designed for roadside assistance service. That's powerful enough to deliver about 1 mile of driving range for every minute of charging.
Typically, when an EV does run out of power, the driver isn't very far from their destination. For one reason or another, they just didn't make it to the charging station along the route or to their final destination. A 15-minute charge will deliver roughly 15 miles of driving range which should, in most cases, get them to their destination.
Tesla Cybertruck SparkCharge Introduces ‘The Roadie’ Portable EV Charging System sparkcharge-roadie

Then, in May, Sparkcharge began two pilot programs in California, aimed at testing out the system, finding any possible flaws, and improving upon the initial design before they began to move on to mass-production.
Evidently, the pilot program testing paid off and the company gained some insight from the real-world use and made some changes. After some weeks, they have now revealed the next generation SparkCharge called The Roadie.
The Roadie is smaller than the previous version and the battery modules hold slightly more power than the original version. The old modules were larger and each held 3.5 kWh (3.2 kWh usable). The modules for the Roadie are smaller and can each hold 3.7 kWh (3.5 kWh usable).
The system is scalable and can accommodate up to 5 modules that simply stack up on top of each other for a total of 17.5 kWh usable. SparkCharge estimates that 17.5 kWh is good enough to provide 60 to 75 miles of range, but as we know, the range provided is highly dependant on the efficiency of the vehicle receiving the power.
Tesla Cybertruck SparkCharge Introduces ‘The Roadie’ Portable EV Charging System sparkcharge

The Roadie will be available in the same configurations as the previous version as seen here
Sparkcharge is currently available with a CHAdeMO connector, but a CCS option will be available soon. It certainly makes sense to offer the CHAdeMO option first here in the US, because Tesla vehicle can charge on CHAdeMO with an adapter, while they cannot charge on the more dominant DC fast charge standard here, CCS. Since the vast majority of EVs in the US are Tesla vehicles, we believe SparkCharge made the right call in developing the CHAdeMO version first.
In addition to introducing the new Roadie charging system, SparkCharge also announced the launch of BoostEV, called "The world's first portable charging network" by Josh Rapoza, Vice President of Marketing for SparkCharge.
BoostEV puts the power of the Roadie in the hands of everyday EV drivers - Josh Rapoza, VP Marketing, SparkCharge
BoostEV connects EV drivers with SparkCharge Service providers. Instead of calling a tow truck or AAA, an EV owner that's run out of juice can call for a 20 kW boost from the BoostEV mobile app, and the service provider will respond to the scene.
BoostEV service is currently available in Richmond, VA, Chicago, IL, Boston, MA, Dallas, Houston and San Antonio, TX, Washington, DC, San Francisco, Los Angelos and San Diego, CA as well as in Manchester, UK, with more markets coming soon. The BoostEV app is still in the final testing phase and will be available for public download in about a month.
More Charging News
Tesla Cybertruck SparkCharge Introduces ‘The Roadie’ Portable EV Charging System tesla-supercharging-station
How Do Other Charging Networks Compare To Tesla Superchargers?

Tesla Cybertruck SparkCharge Introduces ‘The Roadie’ Portable EV Charging System electrify-america-s-beam-ev-arc-solar-canopy
Electrify America Opens 8 Solar-Powered Charging Stations; 22 More To Come
InsideEVs has reached out to SparkCharge to get more information on the BoostEV service, including pricing and partner responsibilities. It appears like SparkCharge is offering partnership contracts to rideshare drivers, extending the network of Roadie service providers beyond that of traditional roadside assistance workers.
That's an interesting concept, but we'd like to know more about how that relationship will work. We're told the service provider will set the rates for the roadside service, not SparkCharge, so it will likely vary greatly from territory to territory.
Tesla Cybertruck SparkCharge Introduces ‘The Roadie’ Portable EV Charging System sparkcharge-shark-tank

SparkCharge co-founders on the set of Shark Tank
Going into the Tank
Additionally, SparkCharge will appear on the season 12 premiere of the popular ABC show Shark Tank. Co-founders Josh Aviv and Christopher Ellis will make his pitch to partner with the sharks this Friday, October 16 at 8:00 PM Eastern. So tune in to hear Aviv and Ellis explain more about why they started the company and their business plan.
“We are incredibly happy to get the opportunity to be on Shark Tank, and to be on the season premiere! That’s just icing on the cake.” Aviv continued. “Being on the show is a dream come true, getting tangible advice from the Sharks was priceless..”
We'd like to hear your thoughts on this new service. Do you believe there's a big enough demand for roadside EV charging to support this concept? We know people, especially those new to EVs, worry about running out of charge and being stranded on the side road, but we're not really sure how often that actually happens. Let us know what you think in the comment section below.

https://insideevs.com/news/448206/sparkcharge-roadie-portable-ev-charger/
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Cool tech. The question is as to whether a road assistance operator would rather invest in the hardware and put it on his truck or simply put the BEV on the truck and take it to the nearest fast charger. Or put a generator on the truck. I think it's going to take higher BEV market penetration to see which way this shakes out.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Many BEV vehicles just don't move when powered down, necessitating a flatbed and sometimes a crane. Having a box you can plug into them is much less time consuming.

According to the guys who made a CCS box for the Rivians to charge the Livewires in The Long Way Up, this solution is much bulkier than theirs.

But they also cook frozen pizza on spinny gadgets from their Energicas, so they're a little loopy. But I would bet third party V2V solutions will start showing up.

-Crissa

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I guess I should mention that I already have this in the form of a 1 kWh Jackery box. In an hour it can load 2.5 - 3 miles into my X.

Owner13669

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Many BEV vehicles just don't move when powered down, necessitating a flatbed and sometimes a crane. Having a box you can plug into them is much less time consuming.

According to the guys who made a CCS box for the Rivians to charge the Livewires in The Long Way Up, this solution is much bulkier than theirs.

But they also cook frozen pizza on spinny gadgets from their Energicas, so they're a little loopy. But I would bet third party V2V solutions will start showing up.

-Crissa
I’d be interested in learning more about the charging on long way up. Can you provide a link, or enough info for me to Google? Thanks in advance!

Old Pro

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I own a 2006 Toyota Tacoma and 2018 Tesla Model 3,
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
SparkCharge Introduces 'The Roadie' Portable EV Charging System
1602422032685.png

Oct 10, 2020 23h ago
+
tom-moloughney.jpg

By: Tom Moloughney

Portable on-demand power for roadside assistance.
SparkCharge, the Massachusetts-based startup has introduced the latest version of its portable electric vehicle DC fast charger, called the Roadie. The new product was announced today in what the company called its first annual "SparkDay" event.
A lot has changed since we first covered SparkeCharge back in April. At the time, they had recently raised $3.3 million in seed round financing and were planning on scaling up manufacturing of the 20 kW portable DC fast-charge system that's primarily designed for roadside assistance service. That's powerful enough to deliver about 1 mile of driving range for every minute of charging.
Typically, when an EV does run out of power, the driver isn't very far from their destination. For one reason or another, they just didn't make it to the charging station along the route or to their final destination. A 15-minute charge will deliver roughly 15 miles of driving range which should, in most cases, get them to their destination.
sparkcharge-roadie.jpg

Then, in May, Sparkcharge began two pilot programs in California, aimed at testing out the system, finding any possible flaws, and improving upon the initial design before they began to move on to mass-production.
Evidently, the pilot program testing paid off and the company gained some insight from the real-world use and made some changes. After some weeks, they have now revealed the next generation SparkCharge called The Roadie.
The Roadie is smaller than the previous version and the battery modules hold slightly more power than the original version. The old modules were larger and each held 3.5 kWh (3.2 kWh usable). The modules for the Roadie are smaller and can each hold 3.7 kWh (3.5 kWh usable).
The system is scalable and can accommodate up to 5 modules that simply stack up on top of each other for a total of 17.5 kWh usable. SparkCharge estimates that 17.5 kWh is good enough to provide 60 to 75 miles of range, but as we know, the range provided is highly dependant on the efficiency of the vehicle receiving the power.
sparkcharge.jpg

The Roadie will be available in the same configurations as the previous version as seen here
Sparkcharge is currently available with a CHAdeMO connector, but a CCS option will be available soon. It certainly makes sense to offer the CHAdeMO option first here in the US, because Tesla vehicle can charge on CHAdeMO with an adapter, while they cannot charge on the more dominant DC fast charge standard here, CCS. Since the vast majority of EVs in the US are Tesla vehicles, we believe SparkCharge made the right call in developing the CHAdeMO version first.
In addition to introducing the new Roadie charging system, SparkCharge also announced the launch of BoostEV, called "The world's first portable charging network" by Josh Rapoza, Vice President of Marketing for SparkCharge.

BoostEV connects EV drivers with SparkCharge Service providers. Instead of calling a tow truck or AAA, an EV owner that's run out of juice can call for a 20 kW boost from the BoostEV mobile app, and the service provider will respond to the scene.
BoostEV service is currently available in Richmond, VA, Chicago, IL, Boston, MA, Dallas, Houston and San Antonio, TX, Washington, DC, San Francisco, Los Angelos and San Diego, CA as well as in Manchester, UK, with more markets coming soon. The BoostEV app is still in the final testing phase and will be available for public download in about a month.
More Charging News
tesla-supercharging-station.jpg
How Do Other Charging Networks Compare To Tesla Superchargers?

electrify-america-s-beam-ev-arc-solar-canopy.jpg
Electrify America Opens 8 Solar-Powered Charging Stations; 22 More To Come
InsideEVs has reached out to SparkCharge to get more information on the BoostEV service, including pricing and partner responsibilities. It appears like SparkCharge is offering partnership contracts to rideshare drivers, extending the network of Roadie service providers beyond that of traditional roadside assistance workers.
That's an interesting concept, but we'd like to know more about how that relationship will work. We're told the service provider will set the rates for the roadside service, not SparkCharge, so it will likely vary greatly from territory to territory.
sparkcharge-shark-tank.jpg

SparkCharge co-founders on the set of Shark Tank
Going into the Tank
Additionally, SparkCharge will appear on the season 12 premiere of the popular ABC show Shark Tank. Co-founders Josh Aviv and Christopher Ellis will make his pitch to partner with the sharks this Friday, October 16 at 8:00 PM Eastern. So tune in to hear Aviv and Ellis explain more about why they started the company and their business plan.

We'd like to hear your thoughts on this new service. Do you believe there's a big enough demand for roadside EV charging to support this concept? We know people, especially those new to EVs, worry about running out of charge and being stranded on the side road, but we're not really sure how often that actually happens. Let us know what you think in the comment section below.

https://insideevs.com/news/448206/sparkcharge-roadie-portable-ev-charger/
Cool....where can this be seen in San Diego, Ca. ? I'd be interested in size and weight as well as cost.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’d be interested in learning more about the charging on long way up. Can you provide a link, or enough info for me to Google? Thanks in advance!
I wish I could, but both were comments made in asides in other interviews. No one seems to have made a singular article about it.

I cannot for the life of me find the name of the company that installed the charging stations, either, though I remember hearing it in several interviews. I feel sorry for them, since they did the one part that's still there!

-Crissa

Last edited:

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
I wish I could, but both were comments made in asides in other interviews. No one seems to have made annarticle about it.

I cannot for the life of me find the name of the company that installed the charging stations, either, though I remember hearing it in several interviews. I feel sorry for them, since they did the one part that's still there!

-Crissa
Juicebox was the manufacturer, but not sure they did the installation...

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Juicebox was the manufacturer, but not sure they did the installation...
Yeah, one of the networks did the installs and gosh their PR department must be tearing their hair out at not being mentioned in articles.

Of course, Zero motorcycles is probably stewing, too, since the mentions of Zero were completely wrong in the first two episodes. Zeros have more range and could have charged at a higher power rate from the chargers they installed on the route. And someone had already ridden the other direction on a Zero!

-Crissa

Owner13669

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I wish I could, but both were comments made in asides in other interviews. No one seems to have made a singular article about it.

-Crissa
Thanks anyways. ?