Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 S90D ,2014Tacoma, Cyberbeast ordered 2/13/24
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
We will not know exactly what Telsa will do but I think it's pretty safe to assume that a Gen 3 HPWC will be compatible. The only issue you may have with it is that 150' is a pretty long run that may be long enough to jump you up to a requirement for AWG 4. Ordinariy AWG 6 is adequate. Your electrician will know and will know how to terminate No. 4 properly if it is indeed required.

An HPWC will permit your CT to charge at up to 11.52 kW, it's maximum capacity. Do not install a standard 220V dryer receptacle. The fastest you can charge with that is 5.76 kW which will give you about 11.6 miles added range per hour in a CT (unless, of course, a rate that low is acceptable to you). The HPWC will give you twice that (about 23 miles per hour).
I used a 14-50 outlet at 40 amps. The s says it’s charging at 29 mi/hr. That should be 8.8 kw. It’s more than enough to charge overnight.
Sponsored

CyberG

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 P85+
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
Tesla.com advertises only the one Wall Charger. It does not list it as being compatible with the CT. Should I wait until the Wall Charger is updated or is it a safe buy now? I have a 150 foot run to the CT garage and will need some summer months to get the electrical system in place. Always impatient, I wanted to purchase sooner rather than later.
Safe to buy it now. It will work fine and runs at 48 amps which should give you plenty of charge unless you are using your CT as an Uber.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I used a 14-50 outlet at 40 amps.The s says it’s charging at 29 mi/hr. That should be 8.8 kw. It’s more than enough to charge overnight.
Well I'd tend to agree with these smaller cars (but why then, I wonder, did you suggest he use a 30 A recepticle). I charge from a 14-50 too in the summer via a Gen 2 HPWC which delivers 40 A for 9.6 kWh and about 31 miles per hour in a Raven X which is, of course, quite adequate. But a Cybertruck will pull more like 400 - 450 Wh/mi meaning added range at the rate of 19 - 22 mile per hour. Still more than adequate as there are a couple of super chargers within a hundred miles or so of where I live. But if I didn't have that HPWC (which they don't offer any more) I'd have to use the UMC which only charges at 32 A from a 14-50R and would, thus give me 25 mph with the X and 15 - 17 in the CT. Still livable of course. Actually I wouldn't have to use the UMC as I could buy a 40A charger from another manufacturer which uses a 14-50P.

But if one is going to pull wire he might as well pull No. 6 (or as in this gentleman's case perhaps 4) and get 48 amps charging (23 - 26 mph) and all the other potential gains from HPWC. Certainly HPWC are unique if one wants a Tesla Theme in his garage decor. The more practical benefits come if one plans to own multiple BEV now or at some time in the future as the HPWC are (or will be when firmware development is complete) quite flexible in terms of load sharing.
Sponsored