A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
The front wheel drive is an entirely different animal. You don't need to transfer near the power and it gets complex with the steering and suspension.
Not really. Have a look at
Tesla Cybertruck SPECIAL EDITION QUAD-MOTOR Cybertruck rumor {filename}
Sponsored

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Not really. Have a look at
Tesla Cybertruck SPECIAL EDITION QUAD-MOTOR Cybertruck rumor {filename}
Thanks, nice share. So 2 motors in the same assembly. I still think they will standardize the rear drive across all models with in the month. They could design the casing for the larger motors and just put smaller motors in the lower tier models.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
I can see Tesla manufacturing a quad motor design in the future and offering a $100k Cybertruck with all of the bells and whistles. GMC has recently shown that a markets exists for a premium priced pickup truck with their $113k BEV Hummer.

The CT has love it or hate it styling that many find polarizing (I am enamored with it). There is no denying that the CT will be in a class of its own with features such a 3mm thick stainless steel exoskeleton, Armor Glass windows, monocoque body construction, possible water flotation capability, etc. Its basically a futuristic pickup truck designed like a tank that civilians can purchase.

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I dunno. Two motors is more expensive than 1 and two inverter/rectifiers is more expensive than 1. Whether two simple reducing/bevel gears is more expensive than 1 differential I couldn't say.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
I dunno. Two motors is more expensive than 1 and two inverter/rectifiers is more expensive than 1. Whether two simple reducing/bevel gears is more expensive than 1 differential I couldn't say.
By standardizing the rear they just eliminated an entire assembly line and 100ish parts. Yes I think the parts would be more expensive but savings overall. Plus you almost get a tank turn effect across all lines. That is kind of cool.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Is anyone really buying at CT to tow a 5th Wheel? I donā€™t see a market until battery cost and weight come down quite a bit more.
There a lot of people today that buy F-150/250 series trucks to tow 5th wheel horse trailers & RV trailers. All these are recreational & we should be doing these activities without polluting the specific environment we traveled to enjoy. Diesel or gas trucks should not even be allowed.

Towable range of Cybertruck is already long enough to meet a lot of these buyers needs.

People with a lot of money arenā€™t going to buy a 4 motor CT just because they can. Thatā€™s not how any of my self made friends worth 8 figures got that way and live. Personally I never want to tow a 5th Wheel. However if I were to do so in the next 5 years, Iā€˜d go with a diesel truck. Besides the 3 current CTs planned, Iā€™m betting their next truck is a smaller model.
A smaller Cybertruck needs new smaller exoskeleton body & a lot of new substructure changes because of shorter wheel base & track like that of Ford Ranger/Chevy Colorado.
Large Cybertruck battery pack will be too big.

A more powerful & 5th wheel capable Cybertruck can use current Cybertruck wheel base. Only needs detachable sail panels & reinforcing exoskeleton.
Can use original Cybertruck battery pack & suspension.

Probably most F-250/350/450, GMC Chevy 2500/3500, RAM 2500/3500 are bought primarily for towing.

Over half a million people every year pay $50K to $90K.

4. Ford F-Series Super Duty F-250, F-350, and F-450 (264,388)
7. Ram Heavy Duty (149,287)
8. Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD/3500HD (148,819)

10 Most Popular Trucks
Christian Wardlaw | Apr 24, 2019
https://www.jdpower.com/cars/trucks/10-most-popular-trucks

Last edited:

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Is anyone really buying at CT to tow a 5th Wheel? I donā€™t see a market until battery cost and weight come down quite a bit more.
The current tri-motor already has the battery capacity & range to pull a lot of the RV trailers in the 5th wheel weight class.

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
Who do you think buys these things?

We have a warehouse at work for holding cars while they await to be transported. I saw a $97k Ford Raptor F-150 in there a couple years ago. I was floored. Add taxes and that was a 6 figured F150!

So, yes, people will buy anything. The more expensive and exclusive, you can bet it'll will be bought by someone!

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Is anyone really buying at CT to tow a 5th Wheel? I donā€™t see a market until battery cost and weight come down quite a bit more. People with a lot of money arenā€™t going to buy a 4 motor CT just because they can. Thatā€™s not how any of my self made friends worth 8 figures got that way and live. Personally I never want to tow a 5th Wheel. However if I were to do so in the next 5 years, Iā€˜d go with a diesel truck. Besides the 3 current CTs planned, Iā€™m betting their next truck is a smaller model.
I am reasonably certain that the working class to middle class stiff is not buying the $112,545 Hummer EV.

azjohn

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Country flag
There is a off road company in my state that specializes in jeep parts and mods and they also sell jeeps that they have modified and presently have a Hellcat Gladiator for $115K and it will sell. Lots of people with deep pockets and not afraid to spend it

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
People vary. The vice president of a company he co-founded walked out with a check for 8 figures in his pocket and died destitute. Another guy who works there got a check for 8 figures when the company sold and probably still has every penny. He won't walk out. He'll be carried out.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.