ituner-HF

First Name
Andrei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S, X and 3, Waiting for Cybertruck
Country flag
I know nothing about ceramic coatings on cars but they surely look shiny and easier to clean. I was watching a recent Cybertruck presentation (the second time when Elon and Franz von Holzhausen were pictured together near a Cybertruck) and I could not stop noticing a lot of fingerprints around the door.

I am wondering if ceramic coatings will help (or make it worse) in terms of fingerprints and other dirt on a stainless steel body. Thx.
Sponsored

OP
OP

ituner-HF

First Name
Andrei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S, X and 3, Waiting for Cybertruck
Country flag
I know nothing about ceramic coatings on cars but they surely look shiny and easier to clean. I was watching a recent Cybertruck presentation (the second time when Elon and Franz von Holzhausen were pictured together near a Cybertruck) and I could not stop noticing a lot of fingerprints around the door.

I am wondering if ceramic coatings will help (or make it worse) in terms of fingerprints and other dirt on a stainless steel body. Thx.
I recently purchased a Samsung Stainless Steel refrigerator and it is very smooth (compared with my older refrigerators). For sure it has some sort of coating on it, it feels very glossy.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I recently purchased a Samsung Stainless Steel refrigerator and it is very smooth (compared with my older refrigerators). For sure it has some sort of coating on it, it feels very glossy.
Did you remember to take off the cling sheeting put on to avoid damage in manufacturing and shipping?

And sure, those ceramicoat things would 'work' on stainless. It's just fancy wax. Would it be useful? No idea.

-Crissa

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Differing environs are going to report back very different S.S. finish experiences( Midwest,South,West,Southwest,Northwest,Northeast,HI and AK). Every one will differ.
Ceramic coating is a restoration treatment for aging color paint. It looks like new with very little elbow grease. @Crissa likened ceramic to a wax which isn’t far from the truth. Like a wax, ceramic coats over a painted surface. Ceramic seals beneath it a high gloss translucent solvent which doesn’t breakdown exposed to UV and the ceramic is hydrophilic.
IDK ceramic is doing anything for S.S. I know folks in HI are having salt accumulation, while desert SW are having none of it. Ceramic on either only lets the salt or dust sit on top. Both show fingerprints. I know for a fact matt finished cars i.e. Mercedes, Toyota, etc… are a nightmare of mottled splotches of discoloration. You don’t want matt finish.

So best guess S.S. is maintenance free. No wax, no ceramic treatment just a bath once in a while…more often in salty environs. S.S. does rust, marking where it rusts.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
My DeLorean is 40+ years old. There is no rust.

However, it starts collecting your fingerprints when you are within 3 feet lol
They should have made more of them then for the police. Print everyone on the paving you drive by. :ROFLMAO:

Is the DeLorean 316? Is it magnetic at all?

DMC-81

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Transformers Camaro SS, 1985 Corvette Z51, Dodge Magnum R/T, 1981 DeLorean, CT reservation
Country flag
The DeLorean is 304 stainless steel. For maintenance, I have found just a damp microfiber cloth works best for removing fingerprints. I found the stainless polishes look really good for about 10 minutes. Then they start collecting dust and debris. Any product you use creates a film when it dries, so just plain water works best. I expect the same for the Cybertruck

On Saturday, the Florida Club was at Ace Cafe in Orlando. There were 11 shiny, streak free cars present.

Tesla Cybertruck Stainless Steel Ceramic Coating 20220618_123042

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
The DeLorean is 304 stainless steel. For maintenance, I have found just a damp microfiber cloth works best for removing fingerprints. I found the stainless polishes look really good for about 10 minutes. Then they start collecting dust and debris. Any product you use creates a film when it dries, so just plain water works best. I expect the same for the Cybertruck

On Saturday, the Florida Club was at Ace Cafe in Orlando. There were 11 shiny, streak free cars present.

20220618_123042.jpg
NICE

Paradox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Escalade ESV Platinum, CT TriMotor FSD
Country flag
Years ago, when considering purchasing a DeLorean, I had emailed Opticoat whom makes imo one of the best ceramic coatings and had correspondence with Dr. Ghodoussi. He is the founder of Opticoat. I had used ceramic coatings on multiple vehicles by this point and asked him if he recommended it for the stainless steel in the DeLorean. He said no as it will not adhere properly to bare stainless panels.

His recommendation was to simply use Optimum No Rinse (ONR for short) but the wash and wax version. I never did end up, unfortunately, purchasing a DeLorean but I have used ONR many a time in the winter inside the garage when it’s too cold out to wash and the product is amazing. I feel ONR will be a welcomed product for many once their Cybertrucks hit their garages/driveways. I will add, I wouldn’t use it if you were off-roading and there is mud or heavy dirt on the vehicle but for regular maintenance washes, it’ll work well.

LDRHAWKE

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ, GTS1000,FJR1300, Aprillia Scarabeo,
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
The absolute easiest way that I have found to protect and shine both my vehicles and stainless kitchen appliances is with ICE SEAL N SHINE. The trick is to apply it so a wax surface builds. Spray it on, than use a single piece of paper towel to wipe the surface, so the paper towel remains call wet with the wax, and spread the wax so the surface is still wet with small wax beads remain. . Don’t over work it. It allows the wax to build. Allow to dry for about an hour and come back over it with micro rags….or not …it gives a pretty nice protective shine with out doing anything more. Once every few months I spray a whole bottle on my 15 year old FJ. It has never been garaged and the paint still looks new. I intend to test it on the Cybertruck if I ever get it. The difference is a Stainless fridge is coated and I don’t think the Cybertruck will be.

SolarWizard

First Name
MB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3.0L JT // Quad CT
Occupation
solar, DCFC & battery biz owner
Country flag
My DeLorean is 40+ years old. There is no rust.

However, it starts collecting your fingerprints when you are within 3 feet lol
how many times have you driven it around salt? Mine Faired poorly to say the least being parked 2 blocks from ocean
Sponsored